Easy & Impressive: Chocolate Abstracts

chocolate abstracts candy recipe

In case you’re on the lookout for a new way to impress in the kitchen this Valentine’s Dayor aiming to wow a whole group of guests for any special occasion really – here’s one of my favorite “sweet tips” from Simple Stunning Parties, a fabulous book by entertaining expert Karen Bussen.

These cool “Chocolate Abstracts” will instantly dress up any sort of dessert – from ice cream to fancy cakes & custards… and despite their artistic, gourmet look, they’re actually surprisingly easy to make! All you need is chocolate chips (4 oz or more), a squeeze bottle, wax paper, and a microwave.

chocolate abstracts candy recipe

Here’s the detailed info:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Make sure to use a baking sheet that will fit in your freezer.

2. Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe container for 20 seconds. Stir and microwave again for 10 seconds. Chocolate burns easily, so check and stir at 10-second intervals until fully melted.

3. Pour melted chocolate into a squeeze bottle. Tip – a plastic funnel will help you pour the chocolate into the squeeze bottle without making a mess.

4. Squeeze chocolate over the parchment paper, making abstract shapes. Leave a bit of space between each shape, for easy removal.

5. Place the tray in the freezer for about 2 hours. Once the chocolate is set, use a spatula to remove it from the parchment.

Chocolate abstracts may be stored for several days in the freezer between sheets of parchment paper.

In Simple Stunning Parties, Bussen recommends pairing the Chocolate Abstracts with vanilla ice cream served in martini glasses and topped with a splash of amaretto. The end result is a very alurring, grown-up treat that’s perfect for Valentine’s day!

{Photos by William Geddes}

29 responses to “Easy & Impressive: Chocolate Abstracts”

1. Julianne says:

Fabulous, those are so chic and easy to do!

2. Lisa says:

Oh perfect timing! I just made hearts like these to top chocolate mousse for Valentine’s Day. What a great idea to make other random shapes too! Fun. :)

3. Stef says:

These are a great idea! You can do different shapes too – we did a fleur di lys pattern for a post on our site. You could also do numbers for an age on a birthday dessert

4. jenn s. says:

Great ideas for the other shapes! Love the numbers idea too… maybe even for “countdown cupcakes” for new year’s eve…or stars for a “twinkle” baby shower.

You guys are right – the possibilities are endless!

5. Rowaida Flayhan says:

Great idea, très chic and so simple.

6. Ashlie Frederick says:

Love! So cute and fun to make.

7. Spiele says:

wonderful so pretty

8. Love the idea of the squeeze bottle – would totally make things a lot neater!
    I think I want to host a dinner party! :)

9. angela says:

How neat! Thanks for posting this. I melted vanilla chips, tinted them pink and presto … instant flair for my coconut cupcakes. I made hearts and initials too. Thank you!

10. Kristina says:

just a question re: the chocolate………you specifically mention semi sweet or dark, but I’m assuming it’s ok to use milk choclate or vanilla chocolate too?

11. jenn s. says:

Hi Kristina –

Yes – for some reason the original recipe notes semi-sweet or dark, but milk or white chocolate should work fine too :)

12. Terri says:

I make these, but I use a snack size zip lock bag instead. I warm the chips the same way, and then cut a very small hole in the corner of the bag and complete as directed. It makes clean-up a breeze!

13. Kristina says:

I made these today using letters for a baby shower I’m hosting this weekend…they turned out fabulous! and so easy!
    love the idea w/the ziploc…I’ll try that next time.

14. Carmen says:

FYI-make sure the chocolate is very cool if you use a plastic bag with the corner snipped off! I nearly burned myself. I will use a bottle next time. The 2 hr. cool period is a must or the designs will bend.Made these for Valentine’s day and my husband loved it!

15. Rochelle says:

So simple and easy! Thanks!

16. Love these! Will def be featuring these on my blog!

17. […] The one and only bakerella Chocolate guitar cupcake toppers – I used the tutorial from hostess blog and ikat bag Guitar lollipops – Zakka Life (this woman is a genius) These are so cool and so […]

18. […] I remembered seeing this on Pinterest…  & that’s what the cake needed!  Abstract chocolate garnish.  Oh~ & finally a small bunting on top of the two mini cakes to finish it off.  Just […]

19. […] Elegant Cocoa Pearls, and topped off the cupcakes with chocolate garnishes, following the instructions from Hostess with the […]

20. Lin says:

I have trouble keeping the chocolate hot enough to pour into the bottle. It cools so fast that it globs on the way in, then hardens before I finish squeezing them out. If I heat it longer, it scorches. Any suggestions?