DIY Tutorial: Eco-Chic Bouquet Alternative

eco-chic bouquet alternative

This fabulous new DIY Tutorial comes from the ultra-creative Jesi of Jesi Haack Weddings and features clever “paper bag flowers” crafted from brown Trader Joe’s grocery bags.

While the paper flowers are cool on their own, they also look fabulous when mixed with a few tissue flowers and fresh flowers for an eco-chic wedding bouquet or party centerpiece. Read on for all the step-by-step details (with gorgeous images!), as told by Jesi

eco-chic bouquet alternative

1. Start off with a grocery bag. (I love Trader Joe’s, but Whole Foods or Henry’s will suffice too.)

2. Draw a circle (the larger the circle, the leafier the flower) and slowly taper it in to the center like a spiral keeping the lines about 1/2 inch away from each other.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

3. Take your scissors and begin cutting along the line you just drew, furthest away from the center.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

4. Continue cutting, following on the drawn line until you reach the center of your spiral.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

5. Snip off the end of your spiral at the point that it begins to turn back into the bag.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

6. Beginning at the end of the spiral, start to roll up the paper until you reach the center of your spiral.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

7. When you are finished rolling it, it should look like a tightly rolled up piece of paper.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

8. Place the rolled up paper in the palm of your hand and let it fall loosely apart. You may have to gently “help” it by turning the center of the flower to open it up a bit more.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

9. For the stem, I chose a green pipe cleaner, but you could use your imagination and come up with something different or funky depending on your project. Flip the flower upside down, and tape the pipe cleaner to the base of the flower.

eco-chic bouquet alternative

10. And here is the finished product…

eco-chic bouquet alternative

11. Add a few paper flowers and it becomes a unique bouquet!

eco-chic bouquet alternative

12. And to step it up a notch, we added a few tulips and a hydrangea…DONE! =)

eco-chic bouquet alternative

Thanks again to Jesi for the fabulous inspiration!

P.S. Love this look? Check out Jesi’s Owl Drink Stir Sticks video tutorial too!

38 responses to “DIY Tutorial: Eco-Chic Bouquet Alternative”

1. Kelly says:

I love it! It is so easy to get caught up with events and forget the environmental impact of every goody bag and balloon. This is great.

2. Carmen says:

Great way to “upcycle”! I just made 3-D stars and a birthday banner from TJ bags. I’m trying this next.

3. awwww, thanks so much Jenn!!!!!

4. Jenna says:

This is gorgeous! My best friend is having an eco-themed wedding in DC next October and this would be perfect for her bouquet.

5. Andrea says:

I love that Trader Joe’s bag {happen to have a few I can’t part with}. Such a neat idea, makes me want to make a few brown flowers for my house!

6. Love this! Jesi is the best!!! :)

7. Rachel says:

Wow, I love this! I’ll be linking in my next Wedding Roundup. I’m off to check out Jesi’s site!

8. Eron Napier says:

This is so creative! I have a bit of a tree-theme in my wedding, so the idea of re-using paper bags kind of plays into the theme.

9. michelle says:

This is fantastic! I made some like this before with construction paper but I love the natural look of the paper bags.

10. rubybrite says:

Thats it! I’m making some of these to take to school next week. When the fresh flowers wilt, I’ll still have my homemade varieties! Thank you.

11. Shevon S says:

I LOVE THIS!!! I’m so making this!

12. Julianne says:

WOW, those are phenomenal! Great job and I love the tutorial.

13. I love this project – really like the look of mixing paper flowers in with real blooms.

14. Hmmmm…..possibly one of these Kraft Bag Flowers glued to the top of a Kraft Brown favor or gift box, with additional strips cut from the brown paper bag of choice, and used like ribbon around the box. You have my mind thinking in a new direction!!! Thank you.

15. Darlene says:

Beautiful. I love this tutorial. Very creative..

16. krasnodar says:

great idea! thanks so much

17. Very Creative.. Nice way to make such good flower..

18. wall flowers says:

Oh man this is great. Ur the man! Ur such a genius, i salute you. more info about bouquet and flowers. Flowers

19. Aimee Boyle says:

Its really beautiful! so many ways to do things the eco-friendly way.

Some great ideas, check our website/s and Blogs:

Other ec0-friendly ideas:

20. Smeeeff says:

This is really really cool! I love paper things and I might make some just for myself!