REAL PARTIES: Cookie Monster Birthday

Cookie Monster party ideas

Me want cookies! And you will too after checking out this adorable Cookie Monster-themed Real Party that Stephanie Stach created for her son Alex’s 3rd birthday.

From adorable cups, party hats, and cupcakes inspired by our favorite sugar-loving monster to cookie-jar favors and giant cookies on sticks, this party is loaded with tons of sweet & super creative details!

Cookie Monster party ideas

Read on for all the details, as told by Stephanie…

Cookie Monster party ideas

“I saw the adorable cookie monster cupcakes on HWTM, and immediately knew that it would be the perfect theme for our son Alex’s third birthday.  It was so much fun to use the inspiration board as a starting point and build a party around it.

Cookie Monster party ideas

To make things easier to coordinate, I chose to go with many different shades of blue… it isn’t that easy to find the perfect cookie-monster blue!  I made blue pom-poms from Martha’s tutorial to hang over the buffet, found a cookie monster pinata at the local Party City, and even found bright blue spider-mums at the local farmer’s market.

To add a little extra fun, I put the mums in a vase filled with Cookie-Krisp Cereal, and wrapped it in blue striped scrapbook paper.

Cookie Monster party ideas

I made cookie monster party hats that the kids loved by embellishing a basic blue hat with a felt mouth, googly eyes and a pom-pom and fuzzy boa (inspired found here).

Cookie Monster party ideas

For drinks, I made the Cooking Monster cups from the HWTM inspiration board by hot gluing cookies and googly eyes to blue paper cups.

Cookie Monster party ideas

The food was all chosen to resemble cookies… we had round cinnamon toast topped with cream cheese and bananas, sausage biscuits, blueberry scones, and mini pizzas on the main buffet; and a separate cookie buffet with oatmeal sandwich cookies, M&M cookies, chocolate crinkle cookies, triple chocolate cookies, and chocolate chip cookies on a stick.

The highlight was still the Cookie Monster cupcakes, which my local bakery, Sweet N’ Sinful, did a fabulous job of replicating.

Cookie Monster party ideas

Cookie Monster party ideas

For a craft activity, the kids each made a Cookie Monster paper bag puppet out of bright blue bags and white and black construction paper that I precut for them.  The bags were perfect for taking home their loot from the pinata.

Cookie Monster party ideas

For party favors, each child got a cookie jar filled with an assortment of cookies.

I found the jars at the dollar store, and embellished them with scrapbook paper, a pom-pom, and a tag that said “Alex’s Birthday was brought to you today by the letter A and the number 3.  Thanks for Celebrating with Us!

Cookie Monster party ideas

It was a great party. Thanks so much for the inspiration!”

50 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Cookie Monster Birthday”

1. Christine says:

So many great ideas here! I love the flowers in the vase with the cookie cereal. Unfortunately, we don’t get that kind of cereal here in Canada, so I might pick some up next time I head over the border.

2. Elisha Akram says:

I absolutely think this party is just way too cute! I love it love it! You are so inspiring…. ! Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Diana says:

I love all of the party ideas. I can spend hours on this website. My son is turning 2 in March and this is a really cute idea but I would love to do something sports affliated. I haven’t seen anything on this site with sports decor. Has anyone ever done or seen a really chic sports birthday party?

4. love love love… especially love
    Favor message “Alex’s Birthday was brought to you today by the letter A and the number 3.

Moms are AMAZING !!!

5. Wendy Leung says:

I’ve always loved cookie monster – he’s my fav!!! I especially love the cupcakes – how cute is that?!

6. Janick says:

The pictures are sooo cute of your little cookie monster. I love all the different ways you displayed all of your choclick chip cookies…especially the take home boxes for the kids. The hats were adorable too. Congrats on a great party!!

7. down pillow says:

Those cupcakes are too cute!

8. that cupcake with Cookie Monster’s head is surely looks fun to stare rather than eat it… it looks so cute… if someone’s going to give a cupcake like that, how i wish it won’t be spoiled coz i will surely stare it rather than eat the ver cute cupcake….

9. Lorell says:

Super cute party! I love character parties with style!

10. Rochelle says:

Cute theme! Great job!

11. Desiree says:

Love the party ideas. I’m planning my son’s 1st B-day in May 2010 and doing a cookie monster theme. I’ve been collecting cookie monster stuff from the dollar stores and jotting down ideas. Thanks for sharing!!

12. Natasha says:

I’m in the midst of planning my son’s 1st bday party & I chose cookie monster cause as an balloon artist & event designer I thought it would be challenging for me. I was happy to see as I was searching for cookie monster favors (which by the way is very rare) & came across this website. the ideas are so adorable that I’m more exited nowin my planning. Elijah’s party is March 20, 2010. I will definitely submit pics to show. Stay tune!!!

13. Jennifer Hawkins says:

Cookie Monster Birthday Ideas

14. Jennifer says:

I love this birthday theme!

15. Julie says:

love all the details in this party!

16. dianne says:

I loved the puffy flower looking balls strung from the ceiling over the table. How did you make them! And I just loved your ideas thank you for the inspiration….:0)

17. Maren says:

Super cute. I am also doing a cookie monster theme for my son’s second birthday. I was also going to do the blue flowers… I like the idea of adding the cookie crisp cereal to it. Part of the party favors for the kids were cookie monster or sesame street books and coloring books from the dollar spot. I love the cookie jar idea. I was going to give each of the kids cookies, so now I might have to go and find some cheap containers. I am also doing a cookie monster cake and cupcakes! Way to go moms. I hope my decor turns out as cute as the decor I have found on this page. Thanks for the tips.

18. Gina Stenger says:

LOVE IT!! Thank you so much for giving me great ideas for my daughters 2nd birthday party. She LOVES cookie monster and there is not much out there with just him! I LOVE your flower idea with the cookies in the vase and the favors. How did you make the tags??!!
    Thanks again – I don’t know who is more excited me or the birthday girl!

19. Annalisa Zimmerman says:

My grandson is Turning 2 this August. My daughter is insisting on a COOKIE MONSTER theme, of which i cannot find much in the party supplies on line. THESE are GREAT IDEAS!!! i have a “crafty” sister (the great aunt) who will be helping me make a very memorable “Cookie Monster” party.

20. dana says:

Can you show us what your invites looked like?? I love this party and am planning it for my daughters second birthday! I just can’t find a modern chic enough invite!