14 Oct

Pina Ghouladas with “Speared Eyeballs”

Pina Ghouladas with Speared Eyeballs

Halloween is supposed to come with a little shock factor, right? That’s my excuse for this next creepy cocktail: Pina Ghouladas served in “blood rimmed” glasses and garnished with “bleeding eyeballs”.  I promise they taste way better than they sound! =)

The from-scratch drink recipe is below, or you can keep things easy and just use frozen or pre-mixed pina colada mix. Entertaining little ones or non-drinkers? Just leave out the alcohol!

Pina Ghouladas with Speared Eyeballs

Full recipe & garnish details below…

PINA GHOULADA

20 oz pineapple juice
1 can cream of coconut – (15 oz)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup orange juice
10 oz rum (optional)

Whisk together pineapple juice, cream of coconut, heavy cream, orange juice and rum. Place 2 1/2 cups ice in a blender, then and add 1 cup drink mixture. Blend until smooth, and pour into prepared glasses. (If mixture is too thick, add more pineapple juice before serving.) Repeat process with remaining ice and mixture.

OR – Make it Quick: Just use frozen or pre-mixed pina colada mix for the drink.

For the “BLOOD RIM”:

OPTION 1: Hard Candy Version*Click here for the recipe.
*This is the version we used in these photos. It takes a little time, but I recommend this route to get the prettiest, richest color. (We also tried a store-bought mix, but it came out translucent/pink looking, so we scrapped it.) And because this version dries hard, it’s less messy for guests than a gooey/liquid rimmer.

OPTION 2: Corn Syrup “Blood Rim”
(a Martha Stewart recipe)

3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoons red food coloring

Pour the corn syrup in a shallow bowl. Dip a toothpick into the food coloring, and stir a very small amount into the syrup to combine. Hold a glass by the stem, dip rim into the syrup mixture, and turn glass, coating entire rim. Turn the glass upright, allowing mixture to drip down sides. Dip the remaining glasses. Set aside.

Pina Ghouladas with Speared Eyeballs

For the EYEBALL GARNISH:

Ingredients:
canned lychee in syrup, drained (available at most Asian markets)
strawberry (or other red-colored) preserves
blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)

Directions:
Dry lychee & fill cavity with red preserves. Insert blueberry, blossom end facing out. Spear with a toothpick or cocktail skewer. Gross!

Pina Ghouladas with Speared Eyeballs

CHEERS!

34Comments

Tori {Thoughtfully Simple} SAYS:

That looks very spooky! That eyeball looks awful (in a good- Halloween-type-of- way) :).

Reply October 14, 2009 at 8:31 am

ABC Dragoo SAYS:

Eeeeeeeeew! I LOVE IT!!!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 8:39 am

Lisa Schneider SAYS:

Pina Coladas are by FAVORITE! Definely will be trying these for my Halloween party. Great idea!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 8:54 am

swoonoverit SAYS:

These are ridiculously amazing. LOVE THEM.

Reply October 14, 2009 at 8:57 am

Shelley@divinepartyconcepts SAYS:

I have a party coming up that I think I will take these to. Thanks!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 9:35 am

Darcy SAYS:

Hmmm… I am wondering if you could do the hard candy rim on plastic glasses? I found some clear, plastic margarita glasses but wondering if maybe the corn syrup rim would be better…..

Reply October 14, 2009 at 10:45 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Darcy –

Are they disposable or reusable glasses? If they’re disposable, you might be okay – here’s what another reader said about this on the actual candy rim post:
“I made these for my Twilight DVD release party and they were a huge hit! I made them the night before and they were still fine the next day (even living in humid Texas). I tried a hard plastic martini glass and it did not melt. I saved that one for last after the mixture cooled a little and I didn’t dip it as far down as the others…”

My main concern with reusable plastic (or acrylic) glasses is that the candy might not come off as easily as it does on glass, and I wouldn’t want it to be ruined if it’s supposed to be reusable. If you try it out, please let us know how it goes!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 10:52 am

Marcie SAYS:

I am going to do this for sure. Love the hard candy idea for the blood rim. I have never tried the Martha thing because I thought it would be mess too…this way it would last all night too! :)

Reply October 14, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Chris@Celebrations At Home SAYS:

These definately look disgusting. PERFECT!!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Kristal SAYS:

Wow as much as I love Halloween, I just can’t bring myself to make food look THAT disgusting.

Reply October 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Darcy SAYS:

Thanks for the info, Jenn! The ones I am thinking of using would be disposable (easy cleanup). I have glass goblets but not as many as what I might need, so I was looking at using the plastic disposable ones instead.

Reply October 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Renee SAYS:

Except for the eyeballs, it looks yummy:) But the eyeballs accomplish exactly what they’re supposed to. Great job putting this drink concoction together!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Morgan SAYS:

I made these last year — they were a hit!!

Reply October 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Morgan SAYS:

I used plastic disposable glasses and if the liquid candy was really hot it melted the plastic contorting it a bit, just watch them closely as you set them all up to control the temperature.

Reply October 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm