REAL PARTIES: Baby Gender Reveal

baby gender reveal party

I’m so excited to share this new Real Party from Sarah {of Jack and Izzy} with you… it’s such a creative & fun way to for parents-to-be to celebrate their big news! Here are all the details, as told by Sarah…

“On Friday afternoon, Garret and I had our 20 week ultrasound, and we got to find out the sex of the baby. I was SO EXCITED! I had been counting down the days, hours, and minutes until we would know if we were having a boy or a girl! Since it was such exciting news, we had our family over for a “Gender Party” on Friday night for the big reveal.

baby gender reveal party

These were the invitations I sent out, and the whole inspiration for the party decorations came from this design. I searched high and low for some kind of giraffe pattern in yellow and orange. These were blank Giraffe Greeting Cards from Rock Scissor Paper, and I printed the “Boy or Girl?” strip and adhered it to the front.

The inside read, “Come be the first to know!” and it gave all the times and details.

baby gender reveal party

Garret and I brainstormed a fun way to actually break the news at the party, and this is what we came up with: We put a gumball in the center of each cupcake, and we let everyone bite into them on the count of three. They would either see a pink center for a girl or a blue center for a boy.

For the dessert buffet (pictured at top), I followed the giraffe theme from the invitations, and all the food and decorations were yellow and orange.

baby gender reveal party

Cupcakes: I made the pinwheel cupcakes myself using card stock and lollipop sticks. Originally, my plan had been to order the pinwheel cupcake toppers from Twirlie Whirlies on Etsy, but in my procrastination, I did not leave enough time for shipping, so I ended up doing a Google search for “paper pinwheel tutorials” and I figured out how to make them on my own.

baby gender reveal party

Popcorn Bags: I purchased the orange bags these at Michaels, scalloped the top of them with decorative scissors, and added a label on the front.

baby gender reveal party

Sugar cookies with royal icing: I used this recipe from Martha Stewart, and they turned out quite yummy!

baby gender reveal party

Lemon Bars: I got these darling cupcake liners from Cupcake Social, and I used them for my lemon bars.

baby gender reveal party

Drink Station: I bought the Tangerine Italian Soda from Whole Foods because it was orange and the bottles were so perfect, then peeled the labels off and added my own instead. I also put some orange slices into the lemonade to add a punch of color, and they gave the lemonade such a delicious taste!

baby gender reveal party

Decorations: I hung some orange and yellow tissue poms (purchased at Pom Love) from the chandelier above the table.

baby gender reveal party

On the invitations, we instructed everyone to “play along” and wear a blue shirt if they thought we were having a boy or a pink shirt if they thought we were having a girl. As you can see, the pink votes way outnumbered the blue votes!

baby gender reveal party

Everyone biting into their cupcakes…

baby gender reveal party

ONE, TWO, THREE, BITE!!! What’s it gonna be?!!!

baby gender reveal party

It was such a fun, memorable night, and Garret and I are absolutely thrilled to be having another baby boy!

Congrats to Sarah & Garret on their new baby BOY! Such a fun idea for a party… thanks for sharing it with us!

58 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Baby Gender Reveal”

1. Audrey H. says:

This party was suc a fabulous idea . . . every detail of it!!! Love it!

2. I love the labels, and I see them everywhere, yet I can’t find them. Did you make them yourself? Are they die cut or did you have to cut each one by hand? I would love some more decorative labels for my events.

3. Congratulations for the boy!
    Lovely!

4. Amanda says:

That is such a cute idea!

5. Allison @ The Innovation Companies says:

What a fun way to introduce their new little one. Sounds like a memorable night for all!

6. Kim O. says:

I LOVE this idea! Almost makes me want to get pregnant again:)

7. Morgan says:

Great idea!! Fabulous job and so many cute ideas to recreate!

8. Laura says:

I LOVE this idea!!
    Especially the fabulous colors :))

9. Connie says:

Cute idea. I through cooking parties and everyone takes home meal for the freezer. Check out http://www.dinnercoach.com for how to Team Up.

10. I am in love with this idea!!!!!

11. Susan Newton says:

What a fun and unique way to really get all of the guests involved! Congratulations to the happy couple and their new Son-to-Be!

12. What a great party idea! So many cute details. Love it!

13. Amy says:

Such a perfect way to celebrate the coming of a second or third… baby! LOVE all the details.

14. Angelena Pointer says:

What a lovely party.So many cute details.GREAT JOB I love it!

15. Sue says:

Now that is the coolest baby shower party i have ever seen…LOVE it!

16. Chantal says:

Your party turned out beautifully! I’m jealous that you found out the gender, we tried to throw a similar party but our daughter wasn’t cooperating and we didn’t know in time! Great job!

17. Csara says:

Cutest idea EVER! Congrats on the baby boy. I have two – they are the best! :-)

18. What an absolutely fantastic party idea! I loved the whole story and the surprise inside the cupcakes is so fun!

19. Julie says:

How SUPER adorable! I love this idea and will have to remember it (when I have babies in like 5 years, lol). Congratulations to the new parents-to-be!

20. The reveal of the gender is a cool concept. Her party ideas are awesome. Congrats to Sarah for an excellent job and to the happy couple for their upcoming delivery.

21. too cute! What a fun idea. I am definitely going to do something like this next time we are expecting a little one :)

22. Becky says:

My sis-in-law is pregnant. I’m going to suggest to her this idea. It’s very cute!

23. O… M… word… that is such an amazing idea! So amazing that it ALMOST makes me want to be PG again just to have this party!

24. Elise says:

Hello – loved this post. In fact, I love your whole blog. Thanks so much for sharing it & best wishes to you ….

25. Karen Wilson says:

What a fabulous party! The concept is so ingenious. I think after seeing these photos and reading all about the wonderful ideas, so many more expectant parents are going to be “lovingly” copying this party idea! Congratulations…….

26. Mrs. R says:

This is the best idea EVER! My Husband and I were trying to decide on a way to break the news to our families the day we decide to have a baby… and I think we’ve found it!!! :)

27. This is great! Such clever ideas! Congrats on the baby boy! M

28. Bonnie says:

Wow!!! Absolutely wow!! I love, love, love it! What a terrific way to get everyone in on the fun!

29. Ashlee C. says:

What an adorable idea for a party!!

30. Nicole says:

This is the absolute most fun idea ever! I have never seen anything like it before, and am saving this in every single inspiration file/category I have so that I will be sure to remember it whenever it is time for us to have little ones. Love!

31. Cherie B says:

Love it! Makes me want to have another just to try that….JUST KIDDING!! Love my kids but not interested in going back to that stage in our lives.
    What a clever idea. What creative followers you have Jen.

32. Kimber Hagans says:

Your party was FABULOUS!! Excellent, creative ideas! LOVED it~~so would MARTHA!
    Where did you find your labels? Or did yoiu cut out yourself? I am doing a party soon and would really like to use them…
    Congrats on your bebe boy!!!

33. Minamay says:

Too cute! I love your ideas and they are so creative and fun!

34. Lisa Cabanes says:

What an absolutely fabulous idea (and way too much fun). I think we are definitely going to have design a party around this adorable idea. Congratulations to you both. Boys are sooo much fun (as you already know).

35. Michelle says:

That is an excellent excuse to have a party! Everyone has birthday parties and showers, the quirky, non-traditional ideas are always so fun and unique. And what a great way to get your families involved!
    Love it!

36. Michelle T. says:

LOVE this idea !!!! What a great way to reveal what your having, and a memorable event for your family.

37. I wish my Twirlie Whirlies could have made it to this fabulous party in time but Sarah did an absolutely fabulous job on her own!

Congratulations!