DIY: Marshmallow Treat Pops

marshmallow treat pops

Several people have asked about the marshmallow pops pictured in the Pink Ribbon Tree Centerpiece DIY (posted earlier today) – so here are the details on how to make these fun – and SUPER easy! – little treats, as well as the display tray pictured above.

I first discovered the marshmallow pop idea on Kim’s Lollipop Party feature. She used chocolate and rainbow sprinkles on her marshmallows to mimic the look of Bakerella’s adorable cupcake pops… a genius shortcut, especially when you’re pressed for time!

Here are the DIY details:

For the Pink Marshmallow Pops:

You’ll need:
marshmallows
pink Candy Melts
pink M&M’s (or similar)
white nonpareils
lollipop sticks

Directions:
1. Insert the lollipop sticks into the marshmallows & set aside.

2. Melt the candy in the microwave, according to package instructions.

3. Dip each marshmallow (with stick) into the melted candy, until about ½ of the marshmallow is coated.

4. Sprinkle with nonpareils and top with a pink M&M while candy coating is still warm.

marshmallow treat pops

For the Presentation/Display:

You’ll need:
craft styrofoam sheet – approx 1″ thick
shallow vase/container (such as the 6.75″ ceramic dish used here)
decorative pink ribbon
pink rhinestones (optional)

Directions:
1. Measure your vase/container, and cut a piece of the styrofoam sheet to match.

2. Place the styrofoam piece in the container. (If the fit is not snug, add smaller pieces of styrofoam to close up any gaps.)

3. Pour pink M&Ms (or other candies) on top of the styrofoam until it’s completely covered.

4. Insert the finished marshmallow pops into the styrofoam, in neat rows.

Shopping Resources:
styrofoam sheets, pink Candy Melts, pink M&Ms, white nonpareils, lollipop sticks, ribbon, & pink rhinestones – ALL from Michaels
6.75″ White Ceramic Low DishWholesale Flowers

*These pink marshmallow pops are actually part of a larger Pink Dessert Buffet we shot a couple weeks ago in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month… full details to come soon!

61 responses to “DIY: Marshmallow Treat Pops”

1. Down Pillow says:

These are so cute :) I think they’d be really yummy using chocolate & mini butterscotch chips, too.

• Sibylle says:

oh yes, they are! when i made them, I had chocolate left over, and i dipped ladyfingers in it and made little guys out of them: http://fun.kyti.me/index.php/2011/03/marshmallow-ladyfinger-pops/

• blakely says:

I tried this for my friends baby shower and they were a hit. it was so much fun and i was so proud of myself for doing them. I’m not the most crafty or the best in the kitchen.
      I’m now doing them for a friend and need to incorporate black in the bowl somehow. I have glass rectangular bowls i am using and will be doing the marshmellows the same as pictured here.

2. Mrs. R says:

these are GORGEOUS! I am dying to try them :)

3. Shelley says:

I am waiting for an occasion to make these! Thanks for the instructions and have a great weekend!

4. Jen says:

I have made these with chocolate and crushed graham crackers! Just like a mini s’more.

5. Rachel says:

So pretty I’m afraid to eat them!

6. Those look delicious and very nice!

7. Amber says:

Where can I buy candy melts? Other than online!

8. I will be making these for my Tween Girls Night Out, they will love them!

9. These are GORGEOUS! I love PINK! Thank you for the link LOVE! :)

10. urvi says:

These are so cute. I am planning to make these for my daughter’s bday. How many days in advance can I make them? Also how to store them?

11. jenn s. says:

Hi Amber –
    You can buy Candy Melts at Michaels – that’s usually where I get them – or probably at any sort of baking supply store.

Urvi –
    You should be able to make them 2-3 days in advance, just make sure to store them in a cool place. The refrigerator might dry the marshmallows out too much – so I’d opt for a cool pantry or cupboard. (If they get too hot the candy melts could start to melt again!)

12. Ellen Collis says:

OMG, these are ridiculously cute!! And not many ingredients–perfect! Cheap, easy with a dramatic effect, LOVE IT!

13. katrina says:

simply adorable! will be making these for something-or-another soon!

~katrina

14. Michelle says:

Every bit as cute as cupcake pops but way easier. You’re a genius.

15. Down Pillow says:

Wow! What an amazing idea for SOOO many parties. Halloween, Christmas, Baby Showers… I can’t stand it- what a fantastic idea!~

16. Erica Stone says:

I think these are easy enough even for me. :) I have all boys but my six year old loves marshmallows and I bet I could do them in blue! Really cute stuff.

17. Julianne says:

Those are awesome. No other way to put, they are awesome. I am going to remember those for the next party I work on!

18. Elsa says:

Probably use these for Ellie’s tea party!!

19. Lindsey says:

wouldn’t these be great made with orange, chocolate, and purple for halloween? love this!

20. Kim at Tom Kat Studio has the best designs and ideas! I love this recipe and design especially. Fabulous!

21. Amanda says:

Please what is the name of the font used in Mashmallow?

22. Erica says:

I simply love this!
    I’m making these for my birthday party next month and I’m sure everyone is going to love them!

23. rachel says:

So adorable, were can i buy the lollipop sticks.

24. jenn s. says:

Rachel –
    You can buy the lollipop sticks at Michaels, Joann, or a similar place with a baking supply aisle :)

25. […] also owe the very cute idea of marshmallow pops to Hostess with the mostess , the site has lots of really chic and cute party themes Tags: bachelorette party ideas, […]

26. Gennifer says:

to cute for words. i have done choclate covered marshmallows for V-day and have found if you dip the lollipop stick into the melted chocolate it helps secure the marshmallow a little better especially if you are covering the entire marshmallow

27. Tanisha says:

What size of lollipop sticks did you use? Very cute. I love it!

28. Jenn @ HWTM says:

Hi Tanisha –
    I believe the lollipop sticks were around 5″ tall :)

29. It looks so delicious and YUMMY. Thanks

30. Sarah says:

How did you get the candy melt so smooth on the marshmallow? I had trouble getting the candie melt to adhere to the marshmallow.

31. Claudia says:

Hello, I, wondering ir u can help me…..i been doing cake pops but I guess im doing something wrong, but i dont know what’s this exactly, cause after I cover them they’re folling down….Could you tell me why? what i need to do? i read in some blogs and thery were talking about add some wax to the melt candy…….is this right? and what kind of wax is? Thanks so much for your help :)….blessing

32. Dolores says:

I love them such a great fundraiser idea for breast cancer awareness which is our Relay for Life thanks

33. […] ladyfinger fellows on the net, but I found some cute marshmallow lollipops on Celebrate Today and here with pink candy melts and {oh soo cute!} a painted marshmallow […]

34. Tina says:

love the look of these and can’t wait to taste. I am hosting a rehearsal dinner that we want to be light weight family like get together at a local fire dept with about 50 people. Saw the navy & orange theme on your web for a bridal shower and thought this might just be a fun but nice put together way to do a rehearsal dinner. Considering it will be a beef and dumpling dinner by the auxillary, it doesn’t need to be fancy. Would like it to be a way to bring everyone together without overstating the beach wedding 30 miles away that will be the next day. These marshmallow pops would be great with orange coating as a nice treat and centerpiece for tables along with light flowers as your website showed. Considering our home town colors are navy & orange and it’s a young couple, I was thinking the mix of two would be great. What do you think? The rehearsal dinner doesn’t have to coordinate with the wedding does it?

35. […] to fit your theme and wedding colours. If you want the “how-to” on these delish goodies Hostess Blog has excellent instructions on how to whip up some amazing pops. […]

36. Vee says:

These look great!

Q: What are the names of the fonts used for “Marshmallow” and “Treat Pops”?

37. jen D says:

These are beautiful! Quick question though, how far in advance can I make these if they are indiviually warpped in cellophane treat bags?

38. […] Marshmallow pops were made using team colors, and displayed “stadium” style on stacked foam blocks wrapped in brown craft paper. Team penants made with toothpicks, felt pieces, and craft glue were inserted into mini cupcakes. […]

39. […] Marshmallow pops are wonderful because of their ease and lack of talent needed to make them. I mean like, even I could make them. Also they are freaking adorable AND delicious. So it’s a win for everyone! A recipe for the pops below can be found here, and another recipe for adorable pink marshmallow pops can be found here. […]

40. bridge says:

What a great idea! When you dip the marshmallow in the chocolate, do you leave it laying flat to dry or sit it upright? Also, should they be covered when storing before the event? Thanks!

• jenn s. says:

I kept them sitting upright to dry – the best thing to do is use an extra sheet or block of styrofoam to stand them up in while they dry – or you can also use small tumblers or juice glasses to keep them upright. Styrofoam will keep them perfectly upright and give you the best use of space though :)