14 Jul

Mod Monkey Baby Shower – Part 1

mod monkey baby shower theme

These pics are from a Mod Monkey Baby baby shower that I co-hosted for my friend this past weekend. I was in charge of the decor & desserts (my 2 favorite parts!), and you might remember this post where I asked for your help deciding on the shower theme.

Well, Mod Monkey won out…and it actually worked out really well because the baby’s name is Max, so it was also easy to play up the “M” factor in Max, Monkey, and Mom as a key element in the decor.

I’m splitting the recap of this shower up into a few posts or else this one would be a mile long… so to start out, here’s a rundown of the tabletop designs:

mod monkey baby shower theme

There were 3 different tables and the centerpieces all coordinated, but were a little different from each other. All of them featured a round placemat from Crate & Barrel (purchased earlier this year for a different party), a baby item (wash cloths or burp cloths) and framed custom signs I designed to match the party’s colors and monkey theme.

Centerpiece #1 also featured a (never used!) Circo Monkey Waste Basket from Target, which served as an adorable container for an artificial plant from my bedroom, and a small bowl of Banana Runts purchased in bulk from the Sweet Factory website.

mod monkey baby shower theme

The focal point of Centerpiece #2 was a ridiculously cute, mod striped Sock Monkey purchased on Etsy. This little guy actually served as inspiration for the entire party theme!

They yellow vase is from IKEA. It was originally purchased last year for this Momma Bird baby shower. (The faux ti leaves are also from of my regular home accesories, but you can purchase them at Michaels.)

mod monkey baby shower theme

Centerpiece #3 also featured the yellow vase & ti leaf combo, plus a set of color-coordinating burp cloths from Target.

mod monkey baby shower theme

I kept the place settings super simple but colorful….plastic yellow plates from Party City, lime green napkins, turquoise forks, and napkin rings made from strips of 3 different kinds of gift wrap by Elum: Driftwood, Interlock, and Dots. The same gift wrap also used to create table runners and featured in other elements of the party.

mod monkey baby shower theme

The napkin rings also featured a big “M” as the embellishment, which tied into the rest of the custom signage. I was able to fit 16 of them up on an 8.5 x 11 sheet, and printed them at Kinkos along with the rest of the signs.

mod monkey baby shower theme

(I’ll make pdfs of the general custom signs and (that don’t feature Max’s name) napkin ring embellishments available for download in another post so that you guys can print them for your own parties if you want to use this theme.)

mod monkey baby shower theme

The Banana Runts really helped to play up the monkey theme and added a bright punch of color. They were also featured in the shower’s candy buffet, which I’ll go into much more detail about in posts 2 & 3… stay tuned! {You can also check out all the pics in the facebook album.}

mod monkey baby shower theme

kristen Barstad SAYS:

i LOVE these!! this is soooo cute!!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Dorm Bedding SAYS:

This is so cute :) I really don’t think you can go wrong with sock monkeys.

Reply July 17, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Diapers and Divas SAYS:

I love this.My baby has monkeys all over his room and this would be a great birthday party theme for him.

Reply July 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

Kimberly SAYS:

Absolutely love all the ideas!

Reply July 20, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Harold SAYS:

Hi – Was there an invitation made for the party?

Reply July 24, 2009 at 7:01 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Harold –

There was an invite made, but it was handmade by one of the other hostesses, so it’s not available for purchase.

Polkadotdesign.com has some great monkey-themed invites though – and they’re really affordable! Just search for “monkey” on their website.

These invites from Tiny Prints are great too:

(They’re featured as a birth announcement, but you could totally change the wording to reflect a baby shower or birthday party instead!)

Reply July 29, 2009 at 7:30 am

Carrie SAYS:

Hi, I just LOVE these ideas! I am doing a Mod Monkey theme for my son’s first birthday, and came across your blog when searching for ideas online! Thanks so much! Which fonts did you use for the signs and stuff?

Reply August 3, 2009 at 8:30 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Carrie –

So glad you like everything! The main fonts that I used for the signs were JFRingmaster (the circus looking font) and Arriere Garde.

You can download JFRingmaster for free here:

Good luck with the party!
Jenn :)

Reply August 3, 2009 at 10:07 am

Carrie SAYS:

Thanks so much Jenn! I really appreciate it!!

Reply August 3, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Carrie SAYS:

As I’m designing my signs with my cool new fonts…I came across another question! How did you do the two tone letters?

Reply August 3, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Nicole SAYS:

What software did you use to create the napkin rings and the artwork you framed to decorate the tables. I know you posted the PDFs for the ones you used but I was interested in doing the same thing but in different colors and for a birthday rather than baby shower and was wondering the best way to go about it. Thanks for the information. Your blog is truly inspiring.

Reply August 8, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Casey Tran SAYS:

OMG!!! too cute! A friend recommended me to this website! I am totally going to use this idea! thanks for the awesome ideas! I can’t wait for the napkin downloads too! thanks!

Reply September 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Michelle SAYS:

Where did you get your table cloth? I’m having trouble finding that color.

Reply December 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Hi I just wanted to say I totally love your idea & was wondering if you can tell me where did you find the center #3 (monkeys) please!! I’m planning my baby shower with a monkey theme as well & it will just PERFECT with it.

Thank You! & once again I love the idea!!

Reply March 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hi Eva –

Are you talking about the monkey graphic that’s in the framed sign in centerpiece #3?

Reply March 14, 2010 at 5:57 pm