16 Jul

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Here are some photos from the Sesame Street candy buffet that I created for Ashby O’Dell’s birthday party last month… which was so much fun to work on! You’ll find all the details below for this particular buffet, in case you want to create something similar for your own parties…

All of the candy is from Sweet Factory – you can buy in bulk on their website! I really wanted to play up the bright colors – just like you see in the Sesame Street characters. I was told that Ashby loves chocolate, so the first thing I ordered was candy-coated Decorator Sixlets in yellow, blue, lime green, red, and hot pink. You can buy them in 10-lb or 1-lb bags. (I used about 2-3 lbs per jar at a time, depending on the size.)

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Other candies in the buffet included: Jolly Ranchers, boxes of Dots, Saf-T-Pops, Alphabet GummisSmiley Happy Face Lollipops, Round Whirly Pops and Flower Lollipops (displayed in colorful Blumeboxes), Giggle Pops, Gummi Centipedes, Rock Candy Sticks, Red Swedish Fish, and individual buckets of Cotton Candy displayed in a pyramid. The final buffet was 12-ft long! There were favor bags on the table so that guests could make their own take-home “favor bag” with all of their personal favorites.

LOTS of candy, I know! But there were about 100 guests at this party – a little more than 1/2 of which were adults – so we needed quite the mass quantities. You can definitely do something similar to this on a much smaller scale though! (Here’s an example of a smaller candy buffet I did last weekend for a 16-person baby shower.)

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Plush Sesame Street characters like Elmo, Grover, and Big Bird sat between some of the candy jars and helped to play up the theme. I also found some 3-D Sesame Street Stickers at a local scrapbook store, framed them in bright, inexpensive frames from IKEA, and set those throughout the buffet.

Balloon bouquets displayed in colorful Blumeboxes added a nice pop of color to the tables as well!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

It’s fun to creative with lollipop displays! You can use white craft foam to make them stand up in trays and shallow containers like the white ceramic vase pictured above. Just cut the foam to size and make sure it’s a little bit shorter than the container. Stick the lollipops in, then pour on a a layer of candy or popcorn to hide the foam.

There were several of these types of displays (featuring both small & large lollipops) on the candy buffet and all throughout the party – they make great table centerpieces too!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

All of the candy jars were purchased at Home Goods for around $7 – $20 each, depending on the size. (They were about 1/2 the price at Home Goods from other places I saw them!) Embellishing some of the jars with a simple band of color-contrasting ribbon is super easy to do and makes a big difference in the overall look!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

The candy buffet was a hit with the adorable birthday girl too…

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Here’s a fun shot of  The Jumpitz – the kids group that performed at the party (and did a great job!) – goofing around at the candy buffet.

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

For more pics from this party, check out the Facebook Album. {Complete details from the entire party will be available in the Party Themes section soon!}

Special thanks to Jayneoni Moore for asking me to style this party – and to photographer Gina Lee for the fabulous photos!

82Comments

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts SAYS:

Thanks for the great ideas! I’m linking to this post tomorrow (4/22) at Dollar Store Crafts!

April 21, 2010 at 11:12 am

Heather Vickery SAYS:

So fun and beautiful!! I love the bright colors!! We do a lot of Candy Bars and it is always fun to see different takes on them … I simply love this!

April 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Bridgett SAYS:

ADORABLE! I am getting ready to do a candy buffet for my son’s 1st Birthday party, and this is an awesome inspiration! YOU ARE SO TALENTED! A couple of questions that I have thought about that you may be able to help me with…. How do you manage/regulate the candy buffet so it stays presentable?? What is the proper ediquette when say the first kids come in and wipe out all the suckers, etc., and mix up the perfectly layered colored sixlets before other guests arrive?? LOL! HELP! :)

April 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Jenn @ HWTM SAYS:

Bridgett & Jessica –

Since your questions were similar, I’ll answer both of you at the same time :)

To keep the candy buffet looking nice at a kids party, it’s best to have someon “open it up” for eating at the end of the party – or whenever you’re ready for the kids to get started on it. Don’t hand out the favor bags until you’re ready for them to pick out the candy. Also – when you do open it up, have someone there to help regulate it. (And usually when parents are present at the party – especially for very young ones – they’ll go through the buffet with their kids, which is what happened at this party.)

Surprisingly enough, at the party where this buffet was featured, the kids were really good about not taking much from the buffet until after lunch, activities, and cupcakes.

To keep the buffet looking nice though, I do recommend replenishing it as long as there’s leftovers. When you run out, you run out and it’s fine. Candy buffets are more of an initial “showstopper”, and people understand when they start to get ravaged :)

And Bridgett – as for the layered sixlets – I basically just took the lid off of that one last ;) Since there were also sixlets in several other jars, no one seemed to mind!

Cheers,
Jenn :)

May 5, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Bridgett SAYS:

Jenn, thanks so much for answering my questions! And you definitely gave me insight on the proper way to manage the candy buffet! So, thanks so much!

One more question, what do you use material/fabric for the backdrop for the candy/dessert buffets? It appears to be some sort of board? that sits on the back of the table?? Any insight on what is best to use for those? THANKS AGAIN!

May 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Elaine SAYS:

where are thes super cute kids table and chair set from? i love it!!!

May 11, 2010 at 8:55 am

Jenn @ HWTM SAYS:

Elaine –
The kids tables & chairs are from IKEA – from the MAMMUT collection (very inexpensive!)

Bridgett –
Regarding the backdrops, you honestly don’t necessarily need a backdrop – but if you do want to make one you can use a big piece of plywood and cover it with gift wrap or cool fabric or attach the fabric or paper directly to a background wall. You can also use panel curtains (IKEA actually has some great affordable options in that dept as well!).

May 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Natasha SAYS:

Jenn – I just came across this site and it’s just awesome. I love the ideas. The pictures are great..really capture the moment. I am actually planning a sesame street birthday party and I was wondering where you bought the characters (Elmo, Big Bird) from? That’s the ideal size I’m looking for.

I didn’t see any other sesame street theme party besides elmo and cookie monster exclusively on the site. If you did feature it, can please refer me to it? Thanks!

July 22, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Jenn @ HWTM SAYS:

Hi Natasha –

I bought all of the characters on Amazon!

I never posted all the text details of this party – got so caught up with everything else – BUT I do have the full photo gallery on the HWTM Facebook page. Here’s the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=86863&id=17887528943&page=2

Hope that helps!
Jenn :)

July 23, 2010 at 10:47 am

Tania SAYS:

Inspired by the candy buffet here, I decided to do one for my son’s 2,nd birthday party as well. He is a big fan of Sesame Street, so that was already the theme for his party. Thanks for all the tips on your blog. Here is the link to the party: http://turtlecraftygirl.blogspot.com/2010/12/kabirs-2nd-birthday-party.html

December 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Marie SAYS:

I Love It!!! How can I incorporate this into a Toy Story 3 theme?

June 7, 2011 at 7:24 am

alyssa SAYS:

Where did you find the label to go around the white vase? (The seasme street one with the smily face lollipops) I LOVE this display! You gave me a GREAT idea in creating some things for my kids birthday party in Sept!! I love your work!

July 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

CBI SAYS:

I love your work! This Sesame Street themed party is ADORABLE. So I was totally thrown off when I saw this photo on a local vendor’s site – claiming your work to be their own…

August 18, 2011 at 9:59 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Wow – you’re right! Thanks so much for the heads up. Will contact her now :0

August 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

margot SAYS:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nicest buffet I have ever seen for childrens party!!!!!!
I started my candy buffet business 2 yrs ago. I’m doing something creative, fun and love making people smile and laugh! On event i did for Rex hospital, NC was for 1300 people, I bought 3/4 lb for each person, just to be safe ( you should buy 1/4 to 1/2 per person), it was all gone in 2 hours! The reason? I bought to large of candy bags! I just wasn’t thinking when I got these beautiful bags, I saw how pretty they were, but didn’t think about the size!! People were coming up 2 and 3 times, filling these bags to the top! WOW, I learned my lesson!
Candylandbuffets.net serves the Raleigh NC and surrounding areas!
Thanks
Margot

October 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Brooklyn SAYS:

i loved all your desighns

December 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

Jenny SAYS:

I love the Sesame Street theme. My three year old is already planning her party that’s 4 months away..so this was just what I needed for inspiration. I did some checking online and found a company online, Box and Wrap that has some really cute favor boxes, candy bags, and candy boxes. I’m going to let the kids fill their own take home candy bag as a Thank you for coming to the party.

February 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Fazidah Aziz SAYS:

nice…

April 30, 2012 at 4:00 am

Diane Bishop SAYS:

I love it!

November 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.