16 Jul

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Here are some photos from the Sesame Street candy buffet that I created for Ashby O’Dell’s birthday party last month… which was so much fun to work on! You’ll find all the details below for this particular buffet, in case you want to create something similar for your own parties…

All of the candy is from Sweet Factory – you can buy in bulk on their website! I really wanted to play up the bright colors – just like you see in the Sesame Street characters. I was told that Ashby loves chocolate, so the first thing I ordered was candy-coated Decorator Sixlets in yellow, blue, lime green, red, and hot pink. You can buy them in 10-lb or 1-lb bags. (I used about 2-3 lbs per jar at a time, depending on the size.)

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Other candies in the buffet included: Jolly Ranchers, boxes of Dots, Saf-T-Pops, Alphabet GummisSmiley Happy Face Lollipops, Round Whirly Pops and Flower Lollipops (displayed in colorful Blumeboxes), Giggle Pops, Gummi Centipedes, Rock Candy Sticks, Red Swedish Fish, and individual buckets of Cotton Candy displayed in a pyramid. The final buffet was 12-ft long! There were favor bags on the table so that guests could make their own take-home “favor bag” with all of their personal favorites.

LOTS of candy, I know! But there were about 100 guests at this party – a little more than 1/2 of which were adults – so we needed quite the mass quantities. You can definitely do something similar to this on a much smaller scale though! (Here’s an example of a smaller candy buffet I did last weekend for a 16-person baby shower.)

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Plush Sesame Street characters like Elmo, Grover, and Big Bird sat between some of the candy jars and helped to play up the theme. I also found some 3-D Sesame Street Stickers at a local scrapbook store, framed them in bright, inexpensive frames from IKEA, and set those throughout the buffet.

Balloon bouquets displayed in colorful Blumeboxes added a nice pop of color to the tables as well!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

It’s fun to creative with lollipop displays! You can use white craft foam to make them stand up in trays and shallow containers like the white ceramic vase pictured above. Just cut the foam to size and make sure it’s a little bit shorter than the container. Stick the lollipops in, then pour on a a layer of candy or popcorn to hide the foam.

There were several of these types of displays (featuring both small & large lollipops) on the candy buffet and all throughout the party – they make great table centerpieces too!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

All of the candy jars were purchased at Home Goods for around $7 – $20 each, depending on the size. (They were about 1/2 the price at Home Goods from other places I saw them!) Embellishing some of the jars with a simple band of color-contrasting ribbon is super easy to do and makes a big difference in the overall look!

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

The candy buffet was a hit with the adorable birthday girl too…

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

Here’s a fun shot of  The Jumpitz – the kids group that performed at the party (and did a great job!) – goofing around at the candy buffet.

Sweet Factory Candy Buffet

For more pics from this party, check out the Facebook Album. {Complete details from the entire party will be available in the Party Themes section soon!}

Special thanks to Jayneoni Moore for asking me to style this party – and to photographer Gina Lee for the fabulous photos!

82Comments

Gift This! SAYS:

Another spectacular creation! Your work is truly amazing & inspiring…LOVE it!

July 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Donna SAYS:

Love the different colors of Sixlets and the colored ribbon adds so much! Great job!

July 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Mandi SAYS:

Where did you find the colored tablecloths?

July 21, 2009 at 6:47 am

Stephanie of Asphalt Eden SAYS:

sugar rush!!

July 21, 2009 at 10:42 am

mojy SAYS:

I love your site. I’m having a sesame street party for my daughter’s 1st birthday and I’m getting a lot of nice ideas from pictures. I didn’t see any pictures of food table. what kind of food was provided for adults and children?

July 21, 2009 at 11:39 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Mojy –
We just did casual “summer” foods for the guests – cut sandwiches & salads for the adults and hot dogs for the kids!

Mandi –
I rented the tablecloths at Town and Country Rentals -but you should be able to get these colors at any local party rental company!

July 21, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Marie SAYS:

What type of invitations will be fitting for this themed party?

July 22, 2009 at 7:56 am

jacky SAYS:

yuor candy buffet is off the hook i love it kool

July 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Kathryn @ Pink Frosting SAYS:

This is gorgeous! Divine… Will run it over at Australia Entertains :)

July 27, 2009 at 3:24 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Marie –

Honestly any type of colorful invite would be great for this type of party! It doesn’t necessarily need to be Sesame Street themed.

I love Polka Do Design’s “Exclusive Collection” – they’re all really colorful. You could do something like one of these:

or Tiny Prints has great stuff too! Here are some ideas:

Good luck! :)

July 29, 2009 at 7:19 am

Alex SAYS:

I absolutely loved every single detail. Where did you find the dog backpacks. My niece is going to have a doggie themed bday party and those bags would fit perfectly. Thanks.

August 7, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Kaden Maddox Events SAYS:

I just planned an awesome engagement party that featured a candy buffet. I love the color splashes with the sesame street theme. We went with more of a classy, sophisticated look carrying a theme of Rasberried, Chocolate and Chandeliers throoughout the buffet. Check out my blog link to see it.

August 10, 2009 at 9:48 am

Olivia Davidson SAYS:

I love the Decorator Sixlets too! I recently found some that look just like white pearls. They are so cool!

August 13, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Sarah SAYS:

okay…great idea….fill these bags with the candy! http://www.snackhappened.com – so cute!!!

August 25, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Bill SAYS:

We’ve been doing candy buffets for several years, for all types of occasions. Check out our Web site.

September 24, 2009 at 4:28 am

Bernie SAYS:

omg, i love it!!! can u tell me where u bought the candy jars filled with coated candy chocolate?

November 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Bernie SAYS:

Where can u buy tge Plush Sesame Street characters like Elmo, Grover, and Big Bird?

November 2, 2009 at 3:49 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Bernie –

I bought all of the characters on Amazon.com – and the candy jars are all from HomeGoods! (The candy itself was from SweetFactory.com)

Cheers,
Jenn :)

November 3, 2009 at 12:00 pm
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.