16 Jul

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Here are some photos from the Sesame Street candy buffet that I created for Ashby O’Dell’s birthday party last month… which was so much fun to work on! You’ll find all the details below for this particular buffet, in case you want to create something similar for your own parties…

All of the candy is from Sweet Factory – you can buy in bulk on their website! I really wanted to play up the bright colors – just like you see in the Sesame Street characters. I was told that Ashby loves chocolate, so the first thing I ordered was candy-coated Decorator Sixlets in yellow, blue, lime green, red, and hot pink. You can buy them in 10-lb or 1-lb bags. (I used about 2-3 lbs per jar at a time, depending on the size.)

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Other candies in the buffet included: Jolly Ranchers, boxes of Dots, Saf-T-Pops, Alphabet GummisSmiley Happy Face Lollipops, Round Whirly Pops and Flower Lollipops (displayed in colorful Blumeboxes), Giggle Pops, Gummi Centipedes, Rock Candy Sticks, Red Swedish Fish, and individual buckets of Cotton Candy displayed in a pyramid. The final buffet was 12-ft long! There were favor bags on the table so that guests could make their own take-home “favor bag” with all of their personal favorites.

LOTS of candy, I know! But there were about 100 guests at this party – a little more than 1/2 of which were adults – so we needed quite the mass quantities. You can definitely do something similar to this on a much smaller scale though! (Here’s an example of a smaller candy buffet I did last weekend for a 16-person baby shower.)

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Plush Sesame Street characters like Elmo, Grover, and Big Bird sat between some of the candy jars and helped to play up the theme. I also found some 3-D Sesame Street Stickers at a local scrapbook store, framed them in bright, inexpensive frames from IKEA, and set those throughout the buffet.

Balloon bouquets displayed in colorful Blumeboxes added a nice pop of color to the tables as well!

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

It’s fun to creative with lollipop displays! You can use white craft foam to make them stand up in trays and shallow containers like the white ceramic vase pictured above. Just cut the foam to size and make sure it’s a little bit shorter than the container. Stick the lollipops in, then pour on a a layer of candy or popcorn to hide the foam.

There were several of these types of displays (featuring both small & large lollipops) on the candy buffet and all throughout the party – they make great table centerpieces too!

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

All of the candy jars were purchased at Home Goods for around $7 – $20 each, depending on the size. (They were about 1/2 the price at Home Goods from other places I saw them!) Embellishing some of the jars with a simple band of color-contrasting ribbon is super easy to do and makes a big difference in the overall look!

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

The candy buffet was a hit with the adorable birthday girl too…

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

Here’s a fun shot of  The Jumpitz – the kids group that performed at the party (and did a great job!) – goofing around at the candy buffet.

Colorful Sesame Street Candy Buffet

For more pics from this party, check out the Facebook Album. {Complete details from the entire party will be available in the Party Themes section soon!}

Special thanks to Jayneoni Moore for asking me to style this party – and to photographer Gina Lee for the fabulous photos!

81Comments

laura@makemerry SAYS:

This is ADORABLE! I especially love the layered colored chocolates. Thanks for the great inspiration.

Reply July 16, 2009 at 7:42 am

ROOM design studio SAYS:

oh this is so lovley!! I absolutly adore this! Very inspirational for next birthday parties!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 7:44 am

Joy SAYS:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the use of the colors! Wonderful job – AGAIN!!!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 8:12 am

anon SAYS:

i’m doing a little candy buffet in the coming weeks. i found all my clear glass at the dollar tree for $1 a piece. i was surprised how well the pieces there look these days! granted, they’re not pedastool and don’t have lids but i feel like i can get the same feel.

Reply July 16, 2009 at 8:22 am

eminent events SAYS:

Hi Jen,

I want to use the lollipop display at my grand opening in August, where can I find the white ceramic vase?

Reply July 16, 2009 at 8:24 am

jenn s. SAYS:

I got them at a place in San Diego called Wholesale Flowers, but I don’t see that particular size on their website, so you can get the smaller 5x5x2″ sized ones here:

or a larger 9x9x2.75″ size (used for the bigger happy face display with the sesame street sign) here:

I also used some of these rectangular ceramic vases for the larger “twister” pops, and those came out well too!

hope that helps!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 8:35 am

Amy SAYS:

Thanks Jenn for the detailed tips. One question: did you have to refill the buffet or did it last for the party? I’m thinking to do something similar for the same number of quests and want to make sure I buy enough candy.

Reply July 16, 2009 at 11:13 am

southern hostess SAYS:

Absolutely adorable. Your candy buffets make me so happy!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

alice SAYS:

so incredibly fun! my friends need to have children so i can throw parties like this for them!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm

eminent events SAYS:

Thanks Jen!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 12:42 pm

SoBella Creations SAYS:

I love the Candy Buffet. My girls would enjoy one at their parties.

Reply July 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Tori {Thoughtfully Simple} SAYS:

Oh I love the Sixlets!! The bright colors are a nice twist on the Sesame Street theme- which typically think of being more primary. Great job!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Kim - The TomKat Studio SAYS:

Every detail is perfect! I love all the fun, bright colors!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Jodi SAYS:

You are amazing!! What a wonderful job and such a cute party idea!!!! The candy buffet is calling my name!!!

Reply July 16, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Dorm Bedding SAYS:

Wow, looks like such a fun party! Perfect theme – what kid doesn’t like Sesame Street? :)

Reply July 16, 2009 at 8:35 pm