So Much for “Lazy Summer Days”!

hostess

So the summer has been off to a VERY busy start! I know the posting has been a bit lighter the past couple of weeks but promise it will pick back up soon… I just found myself in the middle of an insane start to June that can only be summarized by the following: Goodbye, sleep…hello, [lots more] caffeine. (Sorry, Mom – I promise to be better in July!)

Anyways, I wanted to give you a quick rundown of what’s been going on the past couple weeks… and what’s coming up!

hostess

June started off with a fun collaboration we’re working on with Chambord. I created some custom party themes for them, which we staged and did a 2-day photo shoot for here and at another location in LA. This was my first “full-blown” photo shoot – with a lighting team, production people, 14-hour days, etc. It was really fun, really tiring and really special to me because some of my friends were in it too! The first party theme will be running this holiday season, starting in September. Hint: there will be Peacock feathers! =)

Then this past Saturday I styled a party for Nancy O’Dell at her (gorgeous!) house in Pasadena for her daughter’s birthday. We did a Sesame Street theme featuring lots of bright colors… and a Sweet Factory CANDY BUFFET! I was really happy with how it turned out – especially given that it was planned & pulled it together in less than 2 weeks and there were nearly 100 guests!

hostess

Here’s a link to the facebook photo gallery with some pics from the birthday party taken by Gina Lee. I’ll be posting details, shopping resources, and “how-to” info for everything we did for this theme later this week, just as soon as I can catch up on my regular client work.

Also coming up this month at HWTM:
• a fabulous summer giveaway from Alice White Wines (next week)
• lots of new Real Parties and recipes (which my wonderful new summer interns, Sara and Robyn, are lending a hand on – hooray!)
• several new posts over at Real Simple
• an interview with Mindy Weiss
• behind the scenes details leading up to 2 big events we’re working on next month:
1. a co-ed, adult-friendly “French Circus” inspired baby shower for Tisha Campbell & Duane Martin
2. the Swiffer SocialLuxe Lounge – the “pampering party” I’m co-hosting in Chicago the day before BlogHer ’09 starts.
Amongst other things. Phew! See you soon!

32 responses to “So Much for “Lazy Summer Days”!”

1. So lovely. I would like just a tiny slice of your talent!

2. Jenn, you never cease to amaze me! Saturday was incredible! Even with only 2 weeks notice and a very tight budget, you pulled off the impossible!

3. This party looks terrific! So colorful and cheery! Great job!

4. Coniqua says:

Oh I can’t wait to see what’s coming. The candy made for such a beautiful table.

5. Juligie says:

Holy Moly! You’ve been busy ;) Love the bright colors used at the bday party. Cant wait to see the baby shower…french circus sounds exciting =)

6. Lauren says:

Ooo! I love the lollipop boxes- what are they made of? Did she make the boxes herself out of wood and fill with candy? Or are the lollipops stuck into something underneath a layer of candy (or stones?). Super cute- I would love to do something like this for an upcoming party- please let me know how the lollipop boxes are made?

7. Donna says:

Just fabulous! Love all the colors and details!

8. Mandie says:

OMG I looooove all the ideas you came up with for this party. It looks absolutely fabulous. Can’t wait for all the details. GREAT WORK!!!

9. Erin says:

Looks like you worked really hard! Great job!

10. Katrina says:

This is amazing…….
    I wish I had an unlimited budget when I see things like this!

11. where were you when i was a baby?!? i adored sesame street and this party looks FABULOUS!!!

12. This looks like it was a lively party with all the beautiful color. Well done.

13. Wow! It’s absolutely gorgerous! I love the whole color scheme for the candy buffet =). it must’ve put tons of smiley faces on everyone!

14. [email protected] At Home says:

Lots of great things Jenn! I have so enjoyed watching you blossom and grow your business!…I think I first saw your site back in ’06 or ’07! Keep up the good work! ; )

15. Kerri Butler says:

Jenn, FABULOUS as always!!! You are amazing!!!

16. jenn s. says:

Lauren – the lollipop boxes are actually called “Blumeboxes” – and they’re affordable “pop-up cardboard vases”! Check them out here:
    http://www.blumebox.com :)

17. reajay says:

You have lots of great ideas and an awesome website. Thanks

18. Davids says:

The picture reminds me of the “lost boys” in the peter pan movie hook. When they are eating the make believe food.

19. Fun Sesame Street theme :) All the bright cheery colors are really great.

20. Wow these colors are fabulous! Heading to FB to check out the other pics now!

21. LaMonica says:

ABSOLUTELY PRETTY!!! The colors really did come together well.

22. sara wadley says:

Jenn

Where did you purchase the apothecary jars that were used to hold the candy ??

23. jenn s. says:

Sara – I got them all at HomeGoods! They’re about 1/2 the price there of anywhere else – I paid between $7 & $16 for each of them, depending on the size!

24. sara says:

Jenn

I forgot to ask you as well about the red table and green chairs featured in this party….Do you know where I may purchase those ? They really add to the color scheme !!!

25. jenn s. says:

Sara – They’re all from IKEA! “Mammut” Collection:

Chairs are $14.99 each / tables are $34.99

26. Sarah says:

I was wondering about how many lbs of candy you used to fill one of the apothecary jars. I have four and am struggling with coming up with an estimate. Thanks!

27. Jenn @ HWTM says:

Hi Sarah –

I used between 5-8 lbs per jar, depending on the type of jar and candy, as some candies are a lot heavier than others, so they don’t go quite as far.

If you’re in doubt and have some time to work with, you can always start with 5 lbs and order more if you need to… and remember that you don’t have to fill the jars all the way up – it’s okay to have a little room at the top :)

28. Bridgett says:

How do you keep the candy buffet looking full, and without the first guests that arrive ravishing the whole thing? LOL! Great work by the way!

29. Wow! That looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to try it!i adored sesame street and this party looks FABULOUS!!!

30. angelica says:

love this theme, but having a hard time finding those paper plates with the colored dots?? where could I find them??

31. Felix says: