Sweets 05.5.09

Margarita Cupcakes

margarita cupcake recipe

After an exhaustive (in a good way) search for margarita cupcakes on flickr, I noticed that tons of people were crediting “VCTOTW” as their recipe source, which was a bit perplexing at first. Google came through as always though and quickly helped me decipher the strange code – which turned out to be shorthand for the title “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World“.

I’m not a vegan myself, but I did notice that this book happens to have a shiny 5-star rating from over 200 reviewers on Amazon (in addition to great reviews on this particular recipe), and I’m definitely intrigued…

All 4 of the margarita cupcake images pictured here credit VCTOTW as their recipe source (get the recipe below) – but a couple of the bakers that aren’t vegan substituted real butter & milk for the shortening & soymilk. Bottom line – make the recipe work for you – and ENJOY!!

margarita cupcake recipe

Pictured at top: Margarita Cupcakes by LaundryGirlPhotog. Pictured above, clockwise from left: Mucho Margarita Cupcakes by Seitti; Margarita Cupcakes by Crumbs&Pixels; Margarita Cupcake by t.sullivan photography.

Margarita Cupcakes
(from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar.
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins.
Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.

Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting
1/4 cup butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
1 tbsp soymilk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together shortening, soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it).

35 responses to “Margarita Cupcakes”

1. Erin says:

I made these a couple years ago. I love the decoration on the first picture! Creative and oh so pretty!

2. ljcadv says:

i made these yesterday!! very interesting flavor, not everyone will be able to eat them, they can get pretty tart! still good though!

3. Myriam says:

Cupcakes for grown ups- love these recipes! What a perfect dessert idea for those carne asada nights and Mexican food get togethers!

4. these look delicious! thanks for finding a recipe for them.

5. you have just combined two of my favorite things. These look insanely good. And dangerous. Like shots of tequila dangerous.

6. Those look so yummy :)

7. I am definitely making these this week!

8. How many do I ned to eat to catch a buzz? Could there be a better combination – margaritas and cupcakes?!

9. Julianne says:

Oh my how chic are those! My mouth is watering, I can taste them already!

10. Ezri says:

Oh. My.Gosh. Just finished my first batch, these are DELICIOUS.

11. Chelsea Tjia says:

those look so good!!! i am going to keep that recipe and make it for myself sometime this week :)

12. Stefan says:

This looks delicious! I’m not the best dessert cook, but my wife is.

Emailed. Done. Thanks for sharing!

13. Emily says:

So cute! cupcakes are probably one of the most amazing things to ever be invented- and so are cocktails. So what could be better than the two mixed? I’ll have to try these when I get a kitchen to cook in again :)

14. kathy says:

I like your delicious website!

15. polwig says:

Wow… they look so tasty. I am not really vegan so I think I will make them with regular milk… YUMMY !!! These would be perfect for a summer bbq,

16. Anna says:

I did the same research as you and I kept seeing the same recipe time and time again, but I just didn’t think that 2 tsp of tequila would be enough to shine through. Is it a sign of poor character that I was more concerned with the low booze content then the vegan ingredients? Anyhow, I kept looking and adapted a different recipe to incorporate a whole cup of booze. Stop by and tell me what you think :D

17. Natalie says:

Great recipe! Just one question, can I use this recipe to make cake? If big of a cake would that be?

18. Jenn @ HWTM says:

Natalie –
    This recipe makes 12 cupcakes, which is about half the amount of a standard box mix, so I’d suggest doubling the recipe to create a standard sized cake.

I haven’t done it myself, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You’ll need to adjust the baking time based on the dishes you use too. Here’s a good chart to help determine bake time:

Good luck!

19. Tanisha says:

I have made these twice (both times with regular milk) and both times they came out really weird as in really dense, flavorless, and not fluffy at all or moist. What am I doing wrong? Would love this to work cause recently I turned vegan and want to try it with soy milk. Do you think it would produce a lighter texture with cake flour instead? Thanks!

20. marla says:

These cupcakes sound awesome & I love the styling too!