Sweets 04.26.09

Mint Julep Cupcakes Recipe

Mint Julep Cupcakes

Mint Juleps are a “must serve” at any Kentucky Derby party, right? Well, now there’s another fun way to serve this traditional Derby favorite: sweeten up the party with tasty Mint Julep Cupcakes – cleverly garnished with short straws and fresh mint leaves, of course!

We made these cupcakes for a local news segment today… and they were a hit! The recipe is adapted from Cooking & Booking and was first discovered via YumSugar. Even though the recipe calls for a full cup of alcohol, (1/2 c each Creme de Menthe and bourbon or whisky), the flavor of the cupcakes isn’t strong on the alcohol at all. Instead, it’s more of a sweet, buttery vibe with a subtle minty kick. Bake them in silver foil cupcake liners for that “silver julep cup” vibe. (Full recipe below. Enjoy!)

Mint Julep Cupcakes

{adapted from Cooking and Booking}

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup bourbon (or whiskey)
1/2 cup Creme de Menthe

3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mint extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 350º F, and grease or line 30 cupcake cups.

Combine salt, baking powder, and 1 3/4 cups of the flour. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and extracts in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Add the milk and liquors to the batter, then the rest of the flour (1 cup). Mix as little as possible, just until the batter comes together. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.

Combine the powdered sugar, salt, extracts and melted butter and beat until creamy. Gradually add milk until the texture is right for piping. When the cupcakes are completely cool, pipe or spread the icing on top. Garnish with cake sparkles or sprinkles, a straw (trimmed to size), and mint leaves.

51 responses to “Mint Julep Cupcakes Recipe”

1. Sprout says:

Oh goodie! I needed another way to use the green creme de menthe I keep around for grasshopper pie!

• Heather P says:

Do you mind sharing your grasshopper pie recipe?? I, too, will be needing a reason for using the creme de menthe

2. Little Miss Cupcake says:

Wow! These look and sound divine! Bottoms up!

3. [email protected] says:

4. Jaime says:

I’m definitely going to have to find a good excuse to use this recipe! Looks delicious!

5. Kelly says:

I’m having a Kentucky Derby party this weekend. These will be a perfect addition! Thanks!

6. Erin says:

Ready for a bit of craziness? Ok, I spotted those cupcakes on Yumsugar last year, when they posted the link. The link only took you to a flickr page. I then googled and found THAT recipe, and sent it to Yumsugar. I’m Uptown Girl that Yumsugar mentions in the post! Haha… It’s a crazy world, this internet!

I’ve been saving that link for a WHOLE YEAR, and I’m actually making those cupcakes TONIGHT in honor of the Derby!

7. Davids says:

Is green the color of the year? I have been seeing it a lot this year.

8. This look amazing– I’m loving the little “straws” …By the way– saw your Twilight party and was totally charmed by the Type A Type B wine bottles– very cute idea!

9. These look delicious! I’ll add them to my list for Kentucky Derby Day.

10. fresh365 says:

mmm… I’m usually not a big cupcake person, but I have really been enjoying mint lately and will try these!

11. Erin says:

I made these! Here they are are my blog!

12. capow says:

I made these last night for the Derby later today. I admit, I “tested” one before putting the rest away for later….They are DELICIOUS!

13. Cathy says:

I made these yesterday and they are DELICIOUS! Only, I didn’t get 30 cupcakes out of the recipe, I got 24. And the icing was just enough for 24 cupcakes. Maybe I’m a little too liberal with my cupcake sizes and icing? :-)

They were a huge hit at the Dos de Mayo party I went to!

14. jenn s. says:

I’m actually with you, Cathy – the original recipe actually called for 36 cupcakes, but they came out really small for us so I modified the recipe to say 30, but I probably should’ve said 24-30. We also ran out of icing… I like to be generous with that part too!! :)

Erin – thanks for sharing your post – the cupcakes look like they turned out great!

Jess – thanks for the sweet comment about the Twilight drink labels!

15. Rachel says:

Thanks for the link and the credit – I’m so glad you liked the cupcakes!

16. Linda Fride says:

Nice Cupcakes !!!

This sunday i tried elenis Ny cupcakes in manhattan with custom image of my choice and those are amazing i would like to share with you people if you are looking for tasty and beautiful cupcakes then visit them online where you can create your own cupcakes as well

17. Kalin says:

These cupcakes are awesome! The recipe gave me a little over 32 cupcakes too! Thank you soooo sooo much!