06 Apr

Host a Twilight Theme Party at Home

twilight party ideas

This past Friday I invited my local Twilight-loving friends over to watch the new DVD that just came out… and I’ve gotta say it was a fun excuse for a party! Although my husband wasn’t really surprised that I was decorating for this get-together, he still asked, “Why all the fuss to watch a DVD?“.

The answer is simple of course: for fun! The way I see it is this: I can sit on my couch in my regular living room and watch a movie any ol’ Friday night, so when the movie lends itself to a fantasy-type theme that’s the perfect excuse for breaking out the twinkle lights and red martini’s, why the heck not? Life is too short not to mix things up when you can… and there’s no reason why we should save all the fun for just birthdays and holidays!

twilight party ideas

The main elements of this particular Twilight party were:

mood lighting created with white twinkle lights & candles
red (blood-themed) cocktails, favors, & drinks
apples & Italian food
framed quotes from the book & movie (pictured at top & below), which I dressed up a bit in photoshop, then printed out & framed. (The framed quote above is a line from the movie that Edward says when he catches an apple in a manner that mimics the book cover.)

Want to use these movie quote designs for your party? Download all of them right here: 8×10 quotes (3.1 M pdf) / 5×7 quotes (6.3 M pdf). *If you have trouble opening the files once downloaded, please see the “Download Tips” note at the bottom of this post.

twilight party ideas

I designed these downloadable blood-themed drink labels a couple weeks ago and mocked them up digitally in an earlier post, but they look way better in person when wrapped around bottles of red sodas,  juices, and cocktail mixers! (Remove the original labels from the bottles first. Soaking them in hot water for 10-15 minutes first will make this task easier.)

Download these drink labels here (high res pdf format).
Label designs include: i’m thirsty, drink up, type A negative, type B positive, and type O negative

twilight party ideas

More easy party decor ideas: Fill glass vases with apples, pillar candles, floating candles, and dark red acrylic sea glass. Decorate the vases with satin ribbon, black tulle, sparkly stickers, and movie quotes.

twilight party ideas

Rhinestone appliques would be appropriate decor for the vases too… anything sparkly is actually a great reference to the “diamond” effect that sunlight creates on the vampires.

twilight party ideas

Since the changing color of Edward’s eyes are a big part of the story, I thought that would be a good thing to call out with a quote as well. (For those of you that haven’t read the story, black eyes = thirsty/hungry.)

twilight party ideas

If you’re planning to serve dinner at the party, Italian is a great choice for a couple key reasons:
Bella orders Mushroom Ravioli in the Port Angeles restaurant with Edward. (as seen in the picture in the background above, which is from the book Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion – only $9.68 at Amazon.com)
In the movie, the Cullens attempt to make Italian food for Bella when she visits their home for the first time. I framed Esme’s line: “We’re making Italiano for you.” to display on the buffet table by the food.

twilight party ideas

On the drinks table, framed signs read: “thirsty?” and “drink up.” (Both signs are included in the ” 5×7 quotes” pdf.)

twilight party ideas

Also served, but not pictured here: red wine & red Pomegranate-Cran Martinis served in martini glasses rimmed with a “hard candy blood drip“.

Last but not least are the party favors…red candy in cellophane bags make for fun, super-easy “blood bag” party favors.  These bags are filled with Red Vines (which Bella is also seen eating in the movie) and aptly named Twizzler “Bites“. Both the candy and the cellophane bags are from Target, but there’s also a huge variety of red candies available online.

twilight party ideas

Another fun favor idea: sparkly red lip gloss! These red-shimmer NYC Liquid Lip Shine glosses were only $1.72 each at Target! Display them with a little sign that reads “Vampire Kisses“.

twilight party ideas

*Check out more pictures of the party details over at the Twilight Screening Party facebook album.

MORE Twilight party ideas:

In my dreamworld – if I had the time/resources/excuse to do even more with this theme – here are some ideas that would top the list (in no particular order):

Use a fog machine and hang umbrellas to give the effect of Forks – rainy and misty.

Include a chocolate fountain in the dessert buffet – featuring white chocolate that’s been dyed red to look like blood, of course!

Serve Red Velvet Cupcakes that look like they’ve been splattered with blood… just like these fabulous creations from Retro Bakery in Las Vegas:

twilight vampire cupcakes

Create napkin rings from glow in the dark plastic fangs… and have more sets of fangs available for photo opps!

Drizzle bowls of popcorn with butter that’s been colored red.

Set up a creative, themed black & red candy buffet…mixed in with “bloody” candy accents and clever details from the movie.

Have the Twilight Movie Soundtrack playing as background music before the movie.

Play some sort of movie trivia or themed game – and give a golden onion as the prize. (This is the same thing that Bella & Edward “won” in Biology; to create: literally spray paint a store-bought onion gold!)

Make “blood drip candles” by drizzling melted was from a red candle on top of a white taper candle, then displaying them in cool candelabras – like this fabulous & elegant Red Acrylic Candelabra from Social Couture.

If this was the theme for a big-budget event, I’d love to recreate the look of the meadow by bringing in lots of foliage and covering some of the tabletops with dewy grass & purple flowers. How fun would THAT be?! And then, of course – there’s that fantastic twinkle light canopy from the prom scene at the end of the movie…sigh…like I said: dream!

***

Hope you found some good inspiration here for a Twilight party of your own!

Have more party ideas to add? Please share them in the comments section!

Looking for New Moon Party Ideas? Check out our Free New Moon Printables too!

***

IMPORTANT NOTE: You are free to download and print these movie quote & drink label designs for your personal use only. They may be printed from your PC or at any commercial print shop such as FedEx Office/Kinkos.

Please do not attempt to resell or redistribute these designs. If you’d like blog about these templates, please make sure to link to the full post at HWTM and not directly to the downloadable files. Thank you!

***

Download Tips: When files are downloaded to a PC, you might need to “extract” them before they’ll open properly, especially if it looks like the files size looks very small, which means it is probably still compressed. Select the file that won’t open and look for a button at the top of your downloads folder that says “Extract”, then click it.  For some reason this only happens to some and not others – not sure why!

323Comments

121
Mesiah SAYS:

Val,

Thank you for sharing what you found. I am outraged by whomever “mommymogul” is because that is just so sketchy to be selling Jenn’s creations in a party lot when people can get it for free here.

Wow, I don’t know why I’ve got my panties in a bunch about this. Maybe it’s because Jenn’s been so generous about sharing her party ideas with the world for free, and people are ripping her off!

Lame.

Thanks again for sharing.

September 21, 2009 at 9:25 am

122
Sarah SAYS:

Hi Jenn!!! Thank you sooooo much for all these great freebies and ideas. Definitely the BEST source on the interwebs. :) I had a birthday party for Bella, and you can find my pics here:

Turned out GREAT! Used a ton of your graphics and my guests LOVED. Can’t thank you enough!!!!! xo

September 21, 2009 at 8:53 pm

123
Eve SAYS:

Dear Jenn,your scroll desing is the best thing I had found!Can you please! e-mail them to me.I wound love to used them for my mom’s 60th birthday.Thank you & God Bless!

September 26, 2009 at 12:01 pm

124
Katherine SAYS:

I can’t give you enough PRAISES for this site! Thank you so much for the freebie PDF’s. They are fantastic!

I was wondering when you put the drink labels on if the drinks were cold? I’m curious about condensation and how that’ll affect my photo paper. Just curious how YOU did it. Thanks!

September 27, 2009 at 9:39 am

125
kaytlin SAYS:

this site is so cool! i was wornden where my mom got all of the aswome ideas for my birthday party know i see.

September 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

126
jenn s. SAYS:

Eve –
Just to clarify – did you just want the scroll motif that’s used in the signs above? I can email it to you in Illustrator or Photoshop format. Let me know which you prefer…

Katherine – Thanks for the kudos! I was worried about condensation too, so the drinks were a bit cold but not chilly. Most people poured the drinks into ice-filled cups to actually drink them, so it was mainly about the initial display :)

September 28, 2009 at 6:34 pm

127
jenn s. SAYS:

Sarah –

Thanks so much for sharing your party pics! Everything looked GREAT! It’s so fun to see the quotes in use at other peoples’ parties :) Love the earrings you made too!

September 28, 2009 at 6:36 pm

128
diane SAYS:

ThisisHollywood.com has a life size Edward poster- perfect for this party!

October 1, 2009 at 5:47 pm

129
Katherine SAYS:

Another quick question for ya! :)

Twizzler Bites – did you just separate out a big bag of Twizzlers & put them into individual bags? What kind of bags did you use? Are they sandwich bags or ziplock bags?

October 2, 2009 at 5:42 am

130
jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Katherine –

I used clear cellophane “treat bags” from Target. They were in the gift wrap section. I just filled the bottom 1/3 of the bags then rolled the extra over and taped it down.

And yes – I just divided up a big bag of Twizzler Bites, which I got at Target too :)

October 2, 2009 at 7:11 am

131
Katherine SAYS:

Thanks, Jenn! Ahh…I never would have thought of the treat bags in the gift wrap section. Perfect! :)

October 2, 2009 at 9:51 am

132
flor SAYS:

WOW…. thanks for ideas i have to do 1

October 3, 2009 at 6:51 am

133
Crystal SAYS:

Hey everyone! So we are deciding to throw a new moon premiere/birthday bash, and I have a few questions :]

–would it be tacky if we had both red & beige lip glosses to have vampire & werewolf kisses?

–any ideas for guy “goodies”? We have some male friends coming.

–going along w/ the New Moon theme, we are trying to make it both Edward & Jake (well duh, it’s the theme of the book & movie!) I need some more ideas, food, decorations & etc, any ideas, I’ll take ’em.

–Should I play music in the background (I have the twilight soundtrack) or play the new moon trailers on a loop??

–I need some help planning “activities”. Everyone at my party is ages 17-22 so I don’t know if it would be lame to have activities or lane not to… And what sorts of activities?

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!!

October 5, 2009 at 7:34 pm

134
Aeron SAYS:

I had an AMAZING! SWEET 16!!
we had ‘The Great Twilight Race’ lots of prizes.. posters, books, jewelry and random girly products.

A game we had was Red Jelly shots for ‘newborns’. you have to eat as many shots… using chopsticks and not being able to touch the cup. It was VERY messy but ALOT of fun!

we also had best dressed. It was dress up but some couldn’t afford to dress up so we made the theme colors black, red and white. We had people dressed up as the volvo! very funny!!

ALOT more games to if you want me to tell you details please ask and I’ll e-mail you or something.

Thanks !! :)

October 6, 2009 at 8:24 pm

135
basia wajda SAYS:

This is such a good idea!Can i please have some of the quotes if you can because I am very obsessed with Twilight and my 14 birthday is coming up so I want everything Twilight realted if you can thank you=)

October 7, 2009 at 11:34 am

137
Britni SAYS:

Are you going to make any quotes from New Moon? Just wondering =)

October 7, 2009 at 3:51 pm

138
kerry SAYS:

How do you make your own labels?

What type of software

October 7, 2009 at 10:37 pm

139
jenn s. SAYS:

Britni –
Yes I am! I’m shooting some New Moon party ideas on October 23, so I’ll have them done before then. If there are any specific quotes that you think are especially important to include, please let me know :)

Kerry –
I mainly use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. I’m a graphic designer though, so I can use these programs for work, which justifies the high cost. You could also get away with using Photoshop LE – a smaller, much less expensive version of Photoshop, if you’re mainly going to be using it to make labels!

October 8, 2009 at 5:52 am

140
Crystal SAYS:

Hey Jenn! I am throwing a New Moon Premiere Party & Birthday Bash November 14th and I was wondering if you wouldnt mind doing some specific quotes for me?

“Leave it to you, Bella. Anyone else would be better off when the vampires left town. But you have to start hanging out with the first monsters you can find.”

“The hardest part is feeling… out of control. Feeling like I can’t be sure of myself—like maybe you shouldn’t be around me, like maybe nobody should. Like I’m a monster who might hurt somebody.”

“Hunting vampires is fun. It’s the best part of this whole mess.”

“Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf?”

“You’re not asleep, and you’re not dead. I’m here, and I love you. I have always loved you, and I will always love you. I was thinking of you, seeing your face in my mind, every second that I was away. When I told you that I didn’t want you, it was the very blackest kind of blasphemy.”

“I’m surprised they left you behind. Weren’t you sort of a pet of theirs?”

Thank you!!!

October 8, 2009 at 6:26 am
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.