Modern Diaper Cakes {Follow Up}

modern DIY diaper cake

After I posted on my first attempt at a diaper cake last November, some of you shared pictures of your own diaper cake creations inspired by that post – and they are impressive! I couldn’t resist sharing a couple of them in a follow-up post today… starting with this ridiculously adorable monkey-themed diaper cake created by Noel Culbertson for the equally adorable monkey themed baby shower she hosted.

modern monkey DIY diaper cake

Noel used DwellStudio for Target receiving blankets to wrap each tier then added some ribbon & paper flowers (available at craft & scrapbook stores) to dress them up. The top layer of the diaper cake is another receiving blanket, rolled and wrapped with banana patterned paper and adorned with a paper monkey “cake topper”, which was glued to a popsicle stick. (Martha Stewart’s “Monkey Party Kit” was used for the topper.)

This next diaper cake – a fun, girlie pink & brown design (which also features DwellStudio for Target blankets) – was created by hostess Davina Saunders:

modern monkey DIY diaper cake

Here are some tips from Davina on how to recreate this design:

Materials used:
Set of 3 DwellStudio receiving blanket from target
Size 2 Pamper swaddlers
chocolate brown grossgrain ribbon
Pink shabby rose trim (sold by the yard at Hobby Lobby)
chocolate brown ric rac
Pink & Brown scrapbook papers – used to create the “vase” at the top of the cake and then cut into 1.5″ circles for the “candles”
Scrapbook embelishments
Faux flowers – from Michaels

To make the “candles” – I glued scrapbook paper circles together – with a lollipop stick sandwiched in between.  The name was spelled out with stick-on letters from the scrapbook section of Hobby Lobby.

{View more pics of this diaper cake here.}

modern monkey DIY diaper cake

****

Thanks to Noel & Davina for the fabulous inspiration! If anyone else has tips or ideas to add, please share them here!

20 responses to “Modern Diaper Cakes {Follow Up}”

1. FavorAffair says:

You guys really did a great job on the diaper cakes. This is the first time I’ve seen “candles” on them. How creative!

2. Casey says:

I haven’t attempted a diaper cake yet, maybe next time someone has a baby. I made a diaper wreath once and it turned out pretty cute. nothing compared to these diaper cakes!

3. Love this idea…Martha is the best!

4. Michelle says:

These put such a modern and fun spin on the diaper cake. I was never a fan of the old kind, but these are too cute!

5. Donna says:

Here are a few pictures of a recent cake I made…

6. thanks for the shout out! & the constant inspiration! :)

7. Margarita says:

Here is my diaper cake: http://fab.typepad.com/fab/2009/01/the-diaper-cake.html

I had to use green/yellow & brown because the bride was undecided on which colour to choose AND because she didn’t know the sex of the baby.

I LOVE the pink and brown one!

8. OMG! That is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. I have a friend who is having a baby in the fall…I am so gonna have to make her one…Thanks for posting this!-Jen:)

9. […] The 4th Trimester Box would be the perfect baby shower present for both new and experienced moms Modern Diaper Cakes {Follow Up} – hostessblog.com 03/03/2009 After I posted on my first attempt at a diaper cake last November, […]

10. Jacqueline says:

I make beautiful diaper cakes for new moms…

11. […] never was a big fan of diaper cakes.  However, that was until I saw these modern cake designs on Hostess with the Mostess.  If you are looking for a modern twist on this baby shower gift idea, check out these great […]

12. So I just wanted to stop by and say thank you. I did not know what a diaper cake was and decided to try it today at an event my company did. It was my first time and it came out great! I must tell you that it was a serious hit with all the attendants. Thank you so much for the inspiration you give to all us party people!!!

13. jenn s. says:

Thanks for the note, Sugar and Spice! Happy to help! :)

14. Ebony says:

Wow! I made two diaper cakes out of the same blue Dwell set from Target in March! Who knew!!!

15. jenn s. says:

Danielle –
    The diaper cakes (and the baby showers) both turned out great! Thanks for sharing them! :)

16. esther says:

love this cake

17. Bora says:

What is usually used as the base?

18. Christine says:

I’ve done many diaper cakes in the past, but LOVE how these look with the blankets wrapped around the layers. Such a clean, crisp look- very creative! Thank you for sharing!!