Creative Sipping: DIY Glasses

I’m finalizing the details for the upcoming Hip Hostess Event in Boston (January 15th) and thought I’d share one of my favorite “Stylish Entertaining on a Budget” tips with you today – which is the theme of the Boston event.

Scrapbooking materials are a great resource for budget-friendly entertaining – and this extends way beyond paper! Rub-on transfers are also a great way to dress up glasses & dishware. They’ll stay on well at the party, but they’re also removeable from glass, ceramic, and plastic – so you can customize the drinkware you already own for each special occasion!

The glasses in the image above are a great example of this technique. These are embellished using the “Catwalk” MiniMarks rub on transfers from American Crafts – and the fun “wine charms” are were created with “Fashion Flair Cool” Flair adhesive badges – also from American Crafts.

(Tip: To remove the transfers when done, use scotch tape to lift and/or hot, soapy water.)

19Comments

Megan SAYS:

What a lovely idea! Those glasses are gorgeous!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

Tori SAYS:

Thanks for sharing! I love the fresh and fun colors….can envision these for a “groovy” party, would be so cute! What a great idea to be able to have custom glasses to match your theme- but not break the bank because you can remove and redesign next time!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 8:26 am

Matt Hanson SAYS:

Good writing. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed my Google News Reader..

Matt Hanson

Reply January 5, 2009 at 8:40 am

tammy SAYS:

Those glasses are SO cute! I’m a big scrapper and I LOVE to find other uses and make non-scrapping things with my supplies.

Reply January 5, 2009 at 9:04 am

Bonnie SAYS:

Wow! What a wonderful idea… as usual! I’ll certainly be doing this the next time I throw a party.

Reply January 5, 2009 at 9:43 am

Kendra @ My Insanity SAYS:

Great idea! We wanted to use rub-ons once, on plates for a Valentine’s dinner, but couldn’t figure out how to make it work with food. Have you ever come up with a way to customize plates? Or maybe you could just do it on a charger? Love the glasses!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 10:22 am

amy @ stem SAYS:

Super cute, Jenn. Can’t wait to see the pics from Dallas, I mean Boston. (I kid. You know I love.) This one looks FUN!

Kendra – have you tried using clear dinner plates and doing the rub on on the underside? Works as long as it’s a pattern and not words!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 11:18 am

Jen SAYS:

the rub-on transfers are genius. I have been using stickers to customize my cheapie wine glasses for parties but this looks even more fun!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Katie SAYS:

What a cute idea! Love them!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Laura SAYS:

LOVE This Idea! What A Fun, Easy Way To Add Some Flare To Your Parties Without Having To Store A Whole Bunch Of Different Glasses!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Kristina R SAYS:

What a great idea to create custom accessories for theme parties.

Reply January 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Sugar and Spice Event Design SAYS:

This is very modern and so perfect for any occasion. How cool!

Reply January 5, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor SAYS:

The rub-on transfer idea is a very cool one! With the huge selection of transfers available, you would never run out of possible styles!

Reply January 7, 2009 at 10:08 am

Monique - Tucson Web Design SAYS:

These glasses and everything else are just too cute. I can’t wait to try something like this for my next party. Thanks for the idea!

Reply January 22, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Danielle SAYS:

Fabulous! I’m new to your blog and I am hooked. I am in the beginning stages of starting my own events planning, designing and coordination business. Very beginning stages… law school takes a majority of my time. :-) I love your DIY ideas.

Reply March 5, 2009 at 3:06 pm