Creative Sipping: DIY Glasses

wine glass embellishments

I’m finalizing the details for the upcoming Hip Hostess Event in Boston (January 15th) and thought I’d share one of my favorite “Stylish Entertaining on a Budget” tips with you today – which is the theme of the Boston event.

Scrapbooking materials are a great resource for budget-friendly entertaining – and this extends way beyond paper! Rub-on transfers are also a great way to dress up glasses & dishware. They’ll stay on well at the party, but they’re also removeable from glass, ceramic, and plastic – so you can customize the drinkware you already own for each special occasion!

The glasses in the image above are a great example of this technique. These are embellished using the “Catwalk” MiniMarks rub on transfers from American Crafts – and the fun “wine charms” are were created with “Fashion Flair Cool” Flair adhesive badges – also from American Crafts.

(Tip: To remove the transfers when done, use scotch tape to lift and/or hot, soapy water.)

19 responses to “Creative Sipping: DIY Glasses”

1. Megan says:

What a lovely idea! Those glasses are gorgeous!

2. Tori says:

Thanks for sharing! I love the fresh and fun colors….can envision these for a “groovy” party, would be so cute! What a great idea to be able to have custom glasses to match your theme- but not break the bank because you can remove and redesign next time!

3. Matt Hanson says:

Good writing. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed my Google News Reader..

Matt Hanson

4. tammy says:

Those glasses are SO cute! I’m a big scrapper and I LOVE to find other uses and make non-scrapping things with my supplies.

5. Bonnie says:

Wow! What a wonderful idea… as usual! I’ll certainly be doing this the next time I throw a party.

6. Great idea! We wanted to use rub-ons once, on plates for a Valentine’s dinner, but couldn’t figure out how to make it work with food. Have you ever come up with a way to customize plates? Or maybe you could just do it on a charger? Love the glasses!

7. amy @ stem says:

Super cute, Jenn. Can’t wait to see the pics from Dallas, I mean Boston. (I kid. You know I love.) This one looks FUN!

Kendra – have you tried using clear dinner plates and doing the rub on on the underside? Works as long as it’s a pattern and not words!

8. Jen says:

the rub-on transfers are genius. I have been using stickers to customize my cheapie wine glasses for parties but this looks even more fun!

9. Katie says:

What a cute idea! Love them!

10. Laura says:

LOVE This Idea! What A Fun, Easy Way To Add Some Flare To Your Parties Without Having To Store A Whole Bunch Of Different Glasses!

11. Kristina R says:

What a great idea to create custom accessories for theme parties.

12. This is very modern and so perfect for any occasion. How cool!

13. The rub-on transfer idea is a very cool one! With the huge selection of transfers available, you would never run out of possible styles!

14. These glasses and everything else are just too cute. I can’t wait to try something like this for my next party. Thanks for the idea!

15. Danielle says:

Fabulous! I’m new to your blog and I am hooked. I am in the beginning stages of starting my own events planning, designing and coordination business. Very beginning stages… law school takes a majority of my time. :-) I love your DIY ideas.

16. Mandy says:

Could you elaborate on how you made the wine charms? Thank you.

17. amber says:

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my wine glasses, but I don’t want decor to come off. Is there a glue that I can use that you can’t see once dried?

18. Karen says:

Love this idea for decorating wine glasses.

19. […] by the Hostess’ post on adding rub-ons to stemware, I found these red gems in the scrapbook aisle. I’m not sure they will make it through more […]