21 Nov

Let’s Plan a Party: Woodland Fairy Birthday

Lets Plan a Party: Woodland Fairy Birthday

This post is kind of a reverse on the usual style – instead of featuring ideas, I’m hoping that you guys wouldn’t mind sending some over this way!

I’m helping some friends put together a first birthday party for their daughter on short notice, and mom is looking for a Tinkerbell-inspired “Woodland Fairy” theme. The party will be in a backyard setting and there will be both adults and kids ranging from 1-8.

I designed a digital invite for her yesterday that shows the general look & feel we’re imagining for the party (address info has been changed). If you have any fun ideas for themed activities for the kids, decorations, desserts, shopping resources for fairy themed decorations, etc – please let me know… I’m pressed for time these next few weeks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also – the birthday girl’s dad is a photographer, so we should be able to capture the end results and post them after the part to help inspire future “fairy party” hostesses!

41Comments

Lisa Kothari SAYS:

Reply November 21, 2008 at 9:21 am

Katie SAYS:

Those colors are gorgeous together! A great starting off point! I’m thinking twinkle lights EVERYWHERE for sure!

Reply November 21, 2008 at 9:39 am

Colleen SAYS:

What about as an activity they could make fairy wands and/or headpieces/crowns? They could use actual sticks from the back yard and decorate them with craft materials provided … I know that might be hard with a one year old — but if some of the other guests are older children that might be a fun activity … or you could just provide them for the kids. When I think Woodland Fairy I think Peter Pan and the Lost boys .. you could try going that route? Good luck!

Reply November 21, 2008 at 9:40 am

Jaime SAYS:

I love this idea for a theme! Perhaps you will consider using lanterns as part of your decor since TinkerBell was often featured in/around one in the Peter Pan movie. I agree with the twinkle lights suggestion above. I am a huge TinkerBell fan (child at heart?), so I would love to see how this idea comes together. For desserts, you might want to do mini-desserts (or “fairy bites”) along the lines of mini brownie bites, cupcakes, cheesecakes (for the adults), cheese and crackers, etc. with lots of sprinkles and serving elements in your theme colors. And, of course, you must have a good supply of “pixie dust” on hand for the party guests! Good luck!

Reply November 21, 2008 at 9:58 am

Kyla SAYS:

I love the paper lantern Idea. Hanging from the trees would be very fairy like, making tu-tu’s or fairy outfits would be a fun activity to!

Reply November 21, 2008 at 10:41 am

I love Jewelry SAYS:

I love this e-invite you did. Can you post the how-to on doing pretty e-invites like this? As for ideas, may be you can get some very cheap and pretty crowns from this website: http://www.simpretty.com

Reply November 21, 2008 at 10:56 am

Marie-Eve SAYS:

I’m thinking of lollipop star (pink and green barley sugar for sure on a long lollipop stick)

Reply November 21, 2008 at 11:12 am

amy belle isle SAYS:

The big wings you can buy in the little girls dress up play sections (about $4ish) at Michaels and the like are adorable on the backs of chairs, in trees, hanging from ceiling, etc.

Or make the birthday girl’s highchair special and have it be the one with wings.

More later,
A

Reply November 21, 2008 at 11:18 am

meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

I blogged about a fairy party I found here:

Follow the link to the original site to see more fairy ideas, but I LOVE the table setting with the leaf plates, flower cups, and toadstool seats (you could always make those pink to go with your color scheme). It has me thinking fairies for my daughter in a year or two.

Reply November 21, 2008 at 11:24 am

Tinkerbell Jewelry SAYS:

Oh, in my previous comment, I forgot to mention that giving out Tinkerbell Jewelry will be a great party favors. Check these necklace out:

Reply November 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

liz SAYS:

make fairies: make a body, then fashion wings out of wire. use some colored panty-hose stretched over the form. use spray adhesive and fairy dust (glitter) to add some whimsy. add fairies to wire stems for floral/centerpiece elements or anywere else you need a little sparkle.

Reply November 21, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Heather Brady SAYS:

For crafts I would do fairy wings and tulle skirts–letting moms “help” decorate if necessary:

These make great bedroom decorations after the party besides being good for dress up.
I have also had parties where I asked each mom to bring a favorite tea cup, and I provided a selection of local teas. It makes for a good ice-breaker.

Reply November 21, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Lindsey SAYS:

You absolutely must incorporate twinkle lights and fairy dust (like other commenters have mentioned)! I’m also a huge fan of paper lanterns – how pretty would white lanterns look if hung all over a tree’s branches (with little glow lights inside)?!

As for decorations, how about gathering sticks from outside, spraying them with adhesive (or spray-painting them gold before spraying with adhesive), and rolling them in glitter? You could gather bunches of the sparkly sticks and place in tall glass vases (and keeping them on the outskirts of the party area since there will be little ones around).

For seating – and this is a tad elaborate/labor intensive – I think short tree trunk stumps would be so cute if positioned in a circle or around a rustic wooden table.

I can’t wait to see pictures!

Reply November 21, 2008 at 1:47 pm

linda SAYS:

Some great ideas here:

* Make wand cookies as decor. Star shaped cookies decorated, tied of with long ribbons and a wand.
* If kids are young, coloring crafts are easier but older girls can make their own flower head wreaths.
* Build a fairy house (see site) and don’t forget to bring treats for the fairies. Read a fairy book http://www.fairyhouses.com/events_current.html
after building it and serve treats outdoors.
* Make a fairy canopy outside with natural flowers, branches, etc. for the kids where they can eat.

Reply November 21, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Dee from L.A. SAYS:

Decorate chairs and/or tables using White Tulle with accents of Pretty Pink flowers and Green Ivy. Or instead of flowers and ivy. Hang wings on the chairs.

For the tables center pieces, , make topiaries using green and pink pretty flowers.

Reply November 22, 2008 at 11:20 am