21 Nov

Let’s Plan a Party: Woodland Fairy Birthday

fairy birthday party

This post is kind of a reverse on the usual style – instead of featuring ideas, I’m hoping that you guys wouldn’t mind sending some over this way!

I’m helping some friends put together a first birthday party for their daughter on short notice, and mom is looking for a Tinkerbell-inspired “Woodland Fairy” theme. The party will be in a backyard setting and there will be both adults and kids ranging from 1-8.

I designed a digital invite for her yesterday that shows the general look & feel we’re imagining for the party (address info has been changed). If you have any fun ideas for themed activities for the kids, decorations, desserts, shopping resources for fairy themed decorations, etc – please let me know… I’m pressed for time these next few weeks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also – the birthday girl’s dad is a photographer, so we should be able to capture the end results and post them after the part to help inspire future “fairy party” hostesses!

41Comments

Lisa Kothari SAYS:

November 21, 2008 at 9:21 am

Katie SAYS:

Those colors are gorgeous together! A great starting off point! I’m thinking twinkle lights EVERYWHERE for sure!

November 21, 2008 at 9:39 am

Colleen SAYS:

What about as an activity they could make fairy wands and/or headpieces/crowns? They could use actual sticks from the back yard and decorate them with craft materials provided … I know that might be hard with a one year old — but if some of the other guests are older children that might be a fun activity … or you could just provide them for the kids. When I think Woodland Fairy I think Peter Pan and the Lost boys .. you could try going that route? Good luck!

November 21, 2008 at 9:40 am

Jaime SAYS:

I love this idea for a theme! Perhaps you will consider using lanterns as part of your decor since TinkerBell was often featured in/around one in the Peter Pan movie. I agree with the twinkle lights suggestion above. I am a huge TinkerBell fan (child at heart?), so I would love to see how this idea comes together. For desserts, you might want to do mini-desserts (or “fairy bites”) along the lines of mini brownie bites, cupcakes, cheesecakes (for the adults), cheese and crackers, etc. with lots of sprinkles and serving elements in your theme colors. And, of course, you must have a good supply of “pixie dust” on hand for the party guests! Good luck!

November 21, 2008 at 9:58 am

Kyla SAYS:

I love the paper lantern Idea. Hanging from the trees would be very fairy like, making tu-tu’s or fairy outfits would be a fun activity to!

November 21, 2008 at 10:41 am

I love Jewelry SAYS:

I love this e-invite you did. Can you post the how-to on doing pretty e-invites like this? As for ideas, may be you can get some very cheap and pretty crowns from this website: http://www.simpretty.com

November 21, 2008 at 10:56 am

Marie-Eve SAYS:

I’m thinking of lollipop star (pink and green barley sugar for sure on a long lollipop stick)

November 21, 2008 at 11:12 am

amy belle isle SAYS:

The big wings you can buy in the little girls dress up play sections (about $4ish) at Michaels and the like are adorable on the backs of chairs, in trees, hanging from ceiling, etc.

Or make the birthday girl’s highchair special and have it be the one with wings.

More later,
A

November 21, 2008 at 11:18 am

meandmyinsanity.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

I blogged about a fairy party I found here:

Follow the link to the original site to see more fairy ideas, but I LOVE the table setting with the leaf plates, flower cups, and toadstool seats (you could always make those pink to go with your color scheme). It has me thinking fairies for my daughter in a year or two.

November 21, 2008 at 11:24 am

Tinkerbell Jewelry SAYS:

Oh, in my previous comment, I forgot to mention that giving out Tinkerbell Jewelry will be a great party favors. Check these necklace out:

November 21, 2008 at 11:47 am

liz SAYS:

make fairies: make a body, then fashion wings out of wire. use some colored panty-hose stretched over the form. use spray adhesive and fairy dust (glitter) to add some whimsy. add fairies to wire stems for floral/centerpiece elements or anywere else you need a little sparkle.

November 21, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Heather Brady SAYS:

For crafts I would do fairy wings and tulle skirts–letting moms “help” decorate if necessary:

These make great bedroom decorations after the party besides being good for dress up.
I have also had parties where I asked each mom to bring a favorite tea cup, and I provided a selection of local teas. It makes for a good ice-breaker.

November 21, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Lindsey SAYS:

You absolutely must incorporate twinkle lights and fairy dust (like other commenters have mentioned)! I’m also a huge fan of paper lanterns – how pretty would white lanterns look if hung all over a tree’s branches (with little glow lights inside)?!

As for decorations, how about gathering sticks from outside, spraying them with adhesive (or spray-painting them gold before spraying with adhesive), and rolling them in glitter? You could gather bunches of the sparkly sticks and place in tall glass vases (and keeping them on the outskirts of the party area since there will be little ones around).

For seating – and this is a tad elaborate/labor intensive – I think short tree trunk stumps would be so cute if positioned in a circle or around a rustic wooden table.

I can’t wait to see pictures!

November 21, 2008 at 1:47 pm

linda SAYS:

Some great ideas here:

* Make wand cookies as decor. Star shaped cookies decorated, tied of with long ribbons and a wand.
* If kids are young, coloring crafts are easier but older girls can make their own flower head wreaths.
* Build a fairy house (see site) and don’t forget to bring treats for the fairies. Read a fairy book http://www.fairyhouses.com/events_current.html
after building it and serve treats outdoors.
* Make a fairy canopy outside with natural flowers, branches, etc. for the kids where they can eat.

November 21, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Dee from L.A. SAYS:

Decorate chairs and/or tables using White Tulle with accents of Pretty Pink flowers and Green Ivy. Or instead of flowers and ivy. Hang wings on the chairs.

For the tables center pieces, , make topiaries using green and pink pretty flowers.

November 22, 2008 at 11:20 am

t SAYS:

As everyone else has stated you must must have fairy lights and fairy dust.

The party favors could be tiaras and fairy wings. I dont think the girls should pick sticks from ground but you can purchase some at an art store and sand them down and have the girl decorate them with glitter, buttons, feathers and sequins (make sure you glue a star to the top like Glinda the good witch). boys can make a harry potter wizard wand

You could bake cookies (cupcakes? rice krispy treats?) in advance and have the girls decorate them with icing and sprinkles and other edible things. and serve fairy punch (my cousin had sumthing similar at her baby shower…not sure ut it tasted like sherbert soda and fruit punch)

Have a dance of the sugar plum fairy impromptu dance off (or just let them dance in their fairy wings)

pin the wings on the tinkerbell game (pin the tail on the donkey)

November 22, 2008 at 4:06 pm

nayyiara Siddiqui SAYS:

I love the invitation! I’m planning my 8 month old’s 1st birthday already and I was thinking a fairy theme as well!

I definitely think fairy dust is a must, along with sparkly lights, and paper lanterns, wind chymes, torches.

For the kids dining area, I would suggest making their chairs into fairies (put wings on the back).

Centerpieces for tables could be tree branches painted then hang dragonflies, and butterflies on the branch along with flowers.

Just some notes I had brainstormed.

November 23, 2008 at 12:45 am

Sandra @ Ribbons and Favors SAYS:

Ahh, we just did a Cinderella themed party, this idea would work equally as well for a Tinkerbell party. Use star shaped sugar cookies on 12″ narrow dowels. We cut our cookies out a little thicker than usual, the dowel was pushed into the edge of the cookie so the star stood up on the dowel. Then it was baked as usual. The cookies where then frosted and a pretty ribbon (a filmy organza type ribbon would be beautiful) tied around the dowel. We made quite a few of these and put them in vases (the kind that have the top belled out) added a wide ribbon around the vase and used them as table centers as well. Your ribbons and frosting can be in your theme colors. Because your theme is Tinkerbell I would also add a little bell to each of the bows tied around the dowels. For your favors you can use small bite sized sugar cookies packaged up in small frosted plastic gift bags (B08 BSF36 @ Ribbons and Favors) fold over the top of the bag, punch a couple of holes horizontally about 1″ apart and thread your party theme ribbon through them and tie off in a pretty bow – in our case we used the wands as their favor. You can even add a tinkerbell sticker to the front of the favor bags. If you are pressed for time I’ll bet you could take the dowels precut to your favorite bakery and have them do the decorated cookies for you, on the dowel and off the dowel, and then you would just have to add the ribbon, bells, favor bags and a food safe barrier if needed in each of your bags. What a fun theme and perfectly suited for a 1 year birthday, and those wings would be a cute additions as well.

November 23, 2008 at 8:55 am

Stacie SAYS:

Pink and Lime Green Table cloths

Tinkerbell Magic Wands to pass out as favors:

Tinkerbell Headbands to pass out as favors:

Tinkerbell Cupcake Toppers for a Cupcake Tower:

Tinkebell Pinata’s – can be used at Table Toppers or Centerpieces or hung from trees:

You can use these pink plum blossom branches to place in glass cylinder vases as centerpieces:

I also like the idea of passing out fairy wings to the kids.

November 23, 2008 at 9:07 am

Lorena SAYS:

I really like the bowers/ bed tents. One that is perfect for the theme can be found here http://tinyurl.com/2dumuk, or you can use this as inspiration to spruce up a less expensive one found at your local home supply store. This could be used as a play place for the kids, or it could cover the food table (bonus: keep the insect off the food). Post-party, it would make a great addition to the growing fairy’s bedroom (maybe in another year or two).

November 23, 2008 at 9:22 am
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.