05 Nov

First Attempt at a Diaper Cake…

baby shower diaper cake

Since Huggies was one of the sponsors that donated to St. Jude for Alison‘s baby shower (see previous post today), I was instructed to make a diaper cake for the shower…which made sense.

The only problem was that I’d never actually made a diaper cake myself before, and when I opened the Huggies packages the diapers had blue and green Winnie the Pooh characters all over them, which didn’t exactly match the pink/yellow/chocolate baby bird theme we had going…eek!!!!

Alpha Mom to the rescue though! Their fabulous “How to make a Unique Diaper Cake” guide totally saved me. It shows how to wrap each “cake tier” with tissue paper so that you can still have a white cake no matter what the diapers actually look like, and comes with the added bonus of a champagne (or sparkling cider) bottle hidden inside – which is actually the perfect “support system” and height for a 3-tier cake!

Instead of the white satin ribbon, I used receiving blankets to wrap the sides of each tier (folded down to the right height and fastened with safety pins), then added a smaller band of ribbon on top of that to add some color.

baby shower diaper cake

The cake “topper” is actually a piece of scrapbook paper, rolled to fit around a paper cup filled with faux grass (and some vase gems to help weigh it down), and the birds were pre-cut chipboard shapes that I bought at a scrapbook store, then covered with decorative paper and glued to white lollipop sticks.

And just like that…a pink/yellow/chocolate bird-themed diaper cake was created from blue & green Winnie the Pooh diapers…ta da!

jenn s. SAYS:

Thanks for the sweet comments! :)

Reply December 3, 2008 at 5:06 am

Rana SAYS:

Hey Jenn! Did you create the flower topper on your own? Also, do you have any tips on how to make the back of the cake look neat? Thanks so much!

Reply December 10, 2008 at 10:55 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Rana –
The little flower on the “paper tube” topper is actually a pre-made felt sticker from the “Everyday Email” set by American Crafts:

Just peel and stick…super easy! :)

I bought them at a local scrapbook store in San Diego, but you can find them online too – google should do the trick :)

For the back of the cake, use cute diaper pins to secure the edges of each blanket together neatly and a spray adhesive or other clear-drying glue on the edges of the ribbon to bind those edges together. Good luck! :)

Reply December 10, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Davina SAYS:

Your diaper cake was so inspiring. I was planning a baby shower for a friend and never even considered doing a diaper cake (as I am not a fan of the traditional looking diaper cake – pretty cheesy, I think) – but your modern design was too cute to pass up. And it was really pretty easy to put together. The compliments were unending – it was a hit of the shower! Thanks so much. You can check out pictures of the cake and other pics from the shower on a friends blogspot page http://www.thesimsfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Reply January 19, 2009 at 9:15 am

Jillian SAYS:

Hi Jenn,

Where did you get the faux grass that you used on the top of the cake, i love it!

Reply February 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Jillian –
I purchased the grass at Michaels, but I’ve had a bunch of it for quite a while – so I’m not 100% sure if they’ll have it anymore. You can probably find something similar at http://www.save-on-crafts.com though. Good luck! :)

Reply February 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I just checked out http://www.elisascakse.com and the cakes are GREAT!!!

I love all of the designs that Elisa’s Diaper Cakes has.

I think I need to add some grass to my new cake that I am developing…. I had a hard time finding it at any Michael’s Store……I will check out the website Jenn suggested

Reply July 12, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Sheri SAYS:

I absolutely love this cake! I’ve been looking on the web for weeks trying to find the perfect design for my daughter’s baby shower. We are wanting a very classy and unique look and this is perfect. She is having a boy so I’ll just swap the pink for blue…lol Thanks for posting the pics!

Reply January 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm

EJ Waldron SAYS:

Love the diaper cake. I am doing a shower for my daughter in law and she does not like anything that looks too cheesy. I’m not especially crafty, so I need more detail. What size did you do each of the layers?

Reply February 1, 2010 at 4:39 am

jenn s. SAYS:

EJ – the layer sizes were based on the platter that I started with for the base which was a 15″ diameter.

Then I just placed the sparkling cider bottle in the middle of the platter and worked from there, stopping when I the diapers reached about 1-2″ inches from the edge. For the next layers – same type of concept… just kept adding diapers until the layer was a little smaller than the layer tier below it. Kind of an eyeball method :)

The diapers were size 1 for the entire cake.

Hope that helps!

Reply February 1, 2010 at 10:03 am

Hublot SAYS:

I am am excited too with this question. Prompt, where I can read about it?

Reply December 15, 2010 at 1:52 am

Angela SAYS:

Your explanation does not say how many diapers are in your cake. I think your design is very cute. we make custom diaper cakes and our 3 tier cake has 96 Pamper Swaddlers in them. They are all useable and each cake is designed with your nursery or theme in mind. Check us out at http://www.anldiapercakes.com.

Reply July 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

erin coles SAYS:

This is awesome! was wondering if I could use it for my page? I would be sure to state that it is not my work. ?

Reply January 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

Alana SAYS:

nappy cakes are such a great gift for mums to be and are so useful.

Reply March 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sonal Shetty Rai SAYS:

Hi Jennifer, this cake looks amazing. I need to inform you that a Facebook page called Precious Diaper Cakes in UAE has used this creation with their tag on it. Not sure if you are aware, but I was under the impression that it was their creation. You might want to check on it.

Reply November 19, 2012 at 8:13 am