First Attempt at a Diaper Cake…

baby shower diaper cake

Since Huggies was one of the sponsors that donated to St. Jude for Alison‘s baby shower (see previous post today), I was instructed to make a diaper cake for the shower…which made sense.

The only problem was that I’d never actually made a diaper cake myself before, and when I opened the Huggies packages the diapers had blue and green Winnie the Pooh characters all over them, which didn’t exactly match the pink/yellow/chocolate baby bird theme we had going…eek!!!!

Alpha Mom to the rescue though! Their fabulous “How to make a Unique Diaper Cake” guide totally saved me. It shows how to wrap each “cake tier” with tissue paper so that you can still have a white cake no matter what the diapers actually look like, and comes with the added bonus of a champagne (or sparkling cider) bottle hidden inside – which is actually the perfect “support system” and height for a 3-tier cake!

Instead of the white satin ribbon, I used receiving blankets to wrap the sides of each tier (folded down to the right height and fastened with safety pins), then added a smaller band of ribbon on top of that to add some color.

baby shower diaper cake

The cake “topper” is actually a piece of scrapbook paper, rolled to fit around a paper cup filled with faux grass (and some vase gems to help weigh it down), and the birds were pre-cut chipboard shapes that I bought at a scrapbook store, then covered with decorative paper and glued to white lollipop sticks.

And just like that…a pink/yellow/chocolate bird-themed diaper cake was created from blue & green Winnie the Pooh diapers…ta da!

50 responses to “First Attempt at a Diaper Cake…”

1. Lindsay says:

Where did you get the receiving blankets– especially the animals one? I need that for my munchkin.

2. jenn s. says:

Hi Lindsay –
    They all came together in a pack of 3 and i got them at Target! I think it was $9.99 for the package. I’m blanking on the brand right now, but I’ll let you know if it comes back to me :)

3. Melisa says:

I am not a fan of the diaper cake but this is the best darn one I have ever seen! I just love it.

4. LillyB says:

How beautiful!! Great job as usual!!!

5. omg seriously?!?!?! this is the best one i’ve ever seen!

6. The prettiest I’ve seen!

Great job!!!

7. Super great job with that, especially for being your first! :) Congrats

8. Melissa H. says:

Super cute – awesome job! I love how modern it looks! The grass accents are especially nice.

My friends threw me a baby shower last month and held a diaper cake contest. I tell ya, I had a gazillion rubber bands from those cakes!

9. Super cute! Great job!

10. i love the cake! i have all of those papers, too! how many packs of diapers did it take?

11. jenn s. says:

Noel –
    It only took 1.5 packs of size 1 diapers! (There were 44 diapers per pack.)

12. sweet! thanks so much. :D

13. Oh my, this is AWESOME! I love it! You are so crafty it’s just not fair!

14. Candis says:

That looks awesome!!! How long did that take you though?

15. jenn s. says:

Candis – It actually didn’t take too long – maybe and hour and a half total. I did have some help rolling the diapers though :)

16. Thank you for the link love! Really appreciate it!

17. In my excitement I forgot to post that I LOVE this cake. The receiving blankets are GENIUS.

18. Michelle says:

Perfect! it is the best looking diaper cake I have ever seen.

19. Alina says:

I am SO doing this! Thank you for a refreshing and stylish take on the diaper cake. I am inspired.