REAL PARTIES: Modern Circus Soirée

circus first birthday party

Fun, festive, modern, playful, cute… this colorful Circus Soirée that Michelle Thornton created for her son’s first birthday celebration has it all! Better yet, Michelle was able to find that perfect balance between a whimsical, kid-friendly party that’s occasion-appropriate, and a stylish atmosphere that adults will find appealing as well…

circus first birthday party

Read on for LOTS of photos and all the details, as told by Michelle…

For Darrian’s first birthday, I wanted to throw a fun party that featured bright primary colors and an animal/carnival theme. I also knew I wanted in a park, which would be a fun space for all the kids to run around and play.

circus first birthday party

Since the party was in a park, I thought fabric would be one of the best ways to add color to the area. I headed to the local fabric store and bought solid fabric in different primary colors for each table, plus an animal-print fabric to use as the common “runner” for all of the tables, to help tie everything together.

One of the main sources of inspiration for the rest of the party decor was a bunch of cartoon-like animal illustrations that I purchased from istockphoto.com. These cute animal characters were used on the invites, birthday hats, personalized stickers, party favors, and vases!

I worked with Donna from SwishDesigns to create the invitations (pictured above, 2nd image) and loved how they turned out – especially the the primary polka dots and the cartoon lion – both of which would also be used for the cake!

circus first birthday party

Darrian also had a small “smash cake” that had the same polka dots…

circus first birthday party

The centerpieces were created with square vases and balloons. Each balloon bunch featured primary colored balloons and one animal balloon, which varied from table to table. The vases were adorned with animal stickers and filled with candy to help keep the balloon bunches secure.

circus first birthday party

To add a personal touch to the tables, I also printed out a favorite picture for each month in Darrian’s first year, then put the photos in primary-colored frames from IKEA and displayed them near each of the centerpieces.

circus first birthday party

To keep things simple, I did a “happy meal” type lunch for the kids, which could be made ahead of time and would be ready for whenever the kids were hungry. Inside each brown bag was a animal-cut-out turkey sandwich, sliced apples, and a small plush animal I got at Ikea. The bags were sealed with the stickers that featured the carton animals.

circus first birthday party

For the adults we had hot dogs (turkey and beef), chips, and a variety of salads (potato, macaroni, Chinese). We also set out popcorn tubs with individual bags for easy snacking, which was a big hit!

The party favors were cute & easy: we gave away individual boxes of animal crackers embellished with the personalized stickers:

circus first birthday party

I ordered fun party hats and a crown for the birthday boy that featured the cartoon animals and matched the cool custom birthday banner:

circus first birthday party

I had blankets available for families who wanted to sit on the grass and have lunch, as well as balls and games for anyone to use – which were placed in baskets that matched the party’s color scheme.  I also hired a face painter/balloon artist to entertain the kids…and some adults!

circus first birthday party

I had a lot of fun planning this, and LOVED how everything came together. I used Esty for most of my purchases since I love that personalized, homemade look and supporting small companies.

Here is a list of my vendors & resources:

• The hats and banner were made by Polkadotsandpirates on Esty
• The invites were made by Swishdesigns
• Custom Stickers for favors, lunch bags, and vases – Lillybeandesigns
• Cakes were from Le Gateau Elegant
• Frames & plush animals – Ikea

{Photos via my blog own posts: Darrian’s First Birthday Part l and Part ll and Part lll}

***

Thanks so much to Michelle for the fabulous birthday inspiration! This is definitely a party theme that would work for a variety of ages from 1 and beyond… balloon animals, bright colors, candy-filled vases, ultra-cool birthday banner, lunch with a toy inside… it even sounds good to me! ;)

37 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Modern Circus Soirée”

1. Jennelle says:

This gives a new meaning to the term “animal print!” Adorable!

2. What a great party. I love that you got most of your stuff at Etsy. Thanks for sharing all your fun ideas.

3. Nancy says:

GREAT PARTY INSPIRATION!

4. Rachel says:

I have also used Polkadots and Pirates for my son’s birthday party – and Jess is so fabulous! Gorgeous party theme – it looked like a great time!

5. wow – I am impressed, both with the theme and your obvious talent at pulling everything together. It looked great!

6. WHAT A FUN PARTY. i love the color scheme. we did an animal theme party too but in pastels… the vibrant colors in yours makes it soo modern.

7. What a fun and colorful party. As extremely cute as it would be pretty hard to be cuter than Darrian though. Come on! What a doll. Gimme.

8. Uh, yes, so I typed that way too fast above. “As extremely cute as it is, it would be….”

I feel better now. Thanks for obliging my quirks.

9. Amber Coldwell says:

What a great idea! Everything was well thought out and adorable! All of the children are so cute, but that little girl is stunning!

10. susan keller says:

Speaking of personalization, I ran across a site that I thought you all might be interested in. They can personal great favors, gifts and invitations for any event! Kinda Cool!

check them out

11. Michelle T. says:

Thanks Ladies!! It was so much fun to plan, and I loved how it all came together. It is nice to hear others responses :)

12. Kelly Marie says:

My family attended this party and had such a great time. Michelle did a wonderful job on all the details. My son loved the balloon artist. :)

13. http://cre8ivegirl.wordpress.com/ says:

Love it! Gets me thinking about the daughter’s 3rd birthday party…next year!

14. Rachel says:

SO cute!! The photos are gorgeous, not to mention the birthday cutie! I had to chime in as well about Polka Dots and Pirates, I had a banner custom made for my daughter’s second birthday and it was BEYOND adorable! It even brought tears to my eyes! I HIGHLY recommend Jess at Polka Dots and Pirates!

15. Heather G. says:

My daughter and I were at this party, and as great as the pictures are, it was even cuter in person! Michelle did a GREAT job!!

16. This party is absolutely adorable. It has inspired me to re-work our very own Monkey See Party.

17. Renee says:

I love this idea, especially the idea that parents can have fun with all the decorations and that it creates natural activity in the same place for them to be involved in which is just as much fun as going to the circus. Great idea for older children too!

18. BERNICE says:

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS !! THE BRIGHT COLORS, THE BRIGHT SUNSHINE AND MOST OF ALL THE FABUOUSLY FINE BABY BOY !! GREAT PARTY – WISH I WERE THERE !!

19. sue says:

Love your party decorations. I am putting together a large fundraiser with an international theme. We have great homemade passports being made but are struggling with what to call the actual event. Any ideas would be very helpful. The main room will be done in silk from India, the menu is french, spanish, italian and perhaps Japanese. We thought of just saying “Escape with us” on the passport to keep it simple. Help!

20. createmo says:

I made on photoshop backgrounds for myspace or youtube and ect..
    my backgrounds:http://tinyurl.com/6rbxmr
    take care and thank you again!

21. […] and friends, and I think we ended up having around 40 people there. I was inspired by a post on the Hostess Blog to have a circus birthday party, and my son got really into the party planning and decorating. We […]

22. Jamie says:

Where did you get those great popcorn buckets on the table????? I am also doing the circus theme for my two boys birthday and I am using popcorn bucket for centerpieces with whirly pops (the 5.25in) sticking out with popcorn filling the tub! I must have those buckets!!! AMAZING PARTY!

23. jenn s. says:

Hi Jamie – I’m not sure exactly where Michelle got those specific buckets, but this version from Celebrate Express looks very similar:

And Plum Party has a few good options too:

Good luck with the party! :)

24. niki says:

Hi i was wondering where you purchased the blue circus fabric used on the tables?
    thanks niki

25. Michelle says:

Sorry I got the fabric at Joann’s Fabric store.
    The popcorn buckets I got at Party America ..

Hope that helps!

26. Kelly says:

Great party…I am doing a first birthday circus/animal theme party…gives me great ideas…you are so creative! Wonderful pictures of Darian!

27. ThatsSoYummy says:

That is adorable…. love the ideas and the great designs… creativity was endless…

Just Loved it! :-)

28. Shannon says:

Wow!! Thank you so much for your post…amazing and unique ideas! Really gave me some ideas as to how to decorate a really awfully decorated firehouse, which is where my son’s first birthday party will be. If you could email me with any other ideas you might have, I would be forever greatful since I am trying to make it special for him. Thank you!!

Shannon
    [email protected]

29. chu says:

i love all the ideas here. i’m having a modern zoo theme for my baby’s first birthday too! I am stumped with table centerpiece ideas. I want something inexpensive yet the guest will enjoy…i its going to be an indoor party yet flying balloons are not allowed yet i want balloons in my centerpiece. does anyone have a suggestion?

30. Emily says:

I absolutely love your party! I came across looking for ideas for my son’s 1st Birthday. Great inspiration. Can you tell me where to get the stickers you used on party favors, vases? I cant seem to find. Did someone make them for you? Thanks again :)

31. Jen says: