30 Oct

Halloween Martini – “Vampire Style”

halloween cocktail glass garnish

I featured this “blood rimmed” martini glass on a local news channel here in San Diego a couple weeks ago and have had quite a few people inquire about how to recreate the glass garnish, so here are the directions for those of you who’d like to sip your martini “vampire style” this weekend!

The “blood rim” is made from the same kind of mixture as you’d use to make hard candy. It’s actually pretty easy, but you will need a candy thermometer (which you can find at most grocery stores).

1 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Karo Syrup
1/2 c. Water
Red Food Coloring

Combine sugar, syrup and water. Cook without stirring to hard crack stage – which is 300 degrees F. Add food coloring.

Turn off heat. While the mixture is still hot, dunk the top of the cocktail glass into the mixture to create the red rim. If you need to do several glasses, keep the mixture hot so it lasts longer (instead of turning heat off, just reduce slightly).You can go anywhere from just along the very tip of the rim to part way down the glass – whichever you prefer. Flip the glass right side up to cool. The thick consistency of the mixture will cause “drips” as it hardens on the glass!

halloween cocktail glass garnish

Coordinating cocktail ideas: Vampire Kiss or your other favorite red cocktail.

Fallon Panzer SAYS:

I tried this last night to experiment for my Twilight-Eclipse Premiere Party coming up this weekend. It worked great! I’m a horrible cook so I thought it wouldn’t turn out. I was also worried about clean up because it becomes a STICKY mess! After you are finished, fill your sink with HOT water and soak everything you used, leftover glasses, pots, etc. It will all dissolve to liquid again within an hour or so. Hope this helps! Thanks for the instructions!

Reply June 23, 2010 at 6:55 am

Josie SAYS:

Just made these, thought it was going to be quite hard, but actually really easy!! looks amazing!! and i did it without a sugar thermometer!

Reply October 30, 2010 at 10:30 am

Tried this last night and served with pomegranate martinis. Was a hit! Clean up was a breeze……Thanks

Reply January 2, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Eva Halloween SAYS:

Love this. Is the first week of September too early to be thinking about Halloween cocktails? Or does the “five o’clock somewhere” rule apply here, too?

Reply September 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

laurawarmkessel SAYS:

I plan to get plastic martini glasses. No washing required and I can just recycle them…..Easy!

Reply October 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Kara SAYS:

I did this a few months ago using your method and it looked brilliant! I did it for a romantic themed date and my bf just loved it.. a great touch!!! TY! Note: I did not use a thermometer… one thing I did wrong was take the glass and while submerging I cupped it to the bottom of the pan and it created a smokey look (in other words.. burnt) when submerging TRY not to touch the pan/pot just dip it in and bring it upright!

Reply October 14, 2011 at 6:55 am

Chelsea SAYS:

would I be able to do this on plastic cups? Or would it be too hot for the plastic? Thanks!

Reply October 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Bella SAYS:

This idea would be perfect for my traditional themed halloween party this year. I was wondering if the mixture would be too hot to dip plastic martini glasses? I have glass ones, but the plastic set has skull and crossbones for halloween. Please let me know if I should try this or stay with the glass. Thanks!

Reply October 28, 2011 at 8:52 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Chelsea & Bella –

I haven’t done them on plastic glasses myself, but here are a few previous comments from other readers that used plastic & shared the results. Hope this helps! :)

Amy M. SAYS:
I made these for my Twilight DVD release party and they were a huge hit! I made them the night before and they were still fine the next day (even living in humid Texas). I tried a hard plastic martini glass and it did not melt. I saved that one for last after the mixture cooled a little and I didn’t dip it as far down as the others. Even after the warnings I still burned myself (though not 3rd degree!) so take it slow and pay attention. I will make these again as everyone was so impressed by it! Thanks for such a cool idea!

Toralinda SAYS:
I tried this both with plastic martini glasses and wine glasses.
The plastic martini glasses ended up melting a bit, though they were still usable.
The wine glasses looked excellent, and were easy to clean off (just soak them in hot water).

twilight party planner SAYS:
This came out awesome! It was a great touch to our New Moon Premiere party and everyone loved it! I used plastic martini glasses, a few had a slightly melted edge, but still looked great. Even with the warnings of being burned, and being careful, still managed to get a second degree burn on my thumb, so heed the warnings!! It hurts, but it was worth it! A small sacrifice for a great party!

Reply October 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Sheree V. SAYS:

I will be doing mine this week – just haven’t found a really red adult cocktail to use yet but I will. I was also thinking these would be awesome for the Christmas parties this year – you could do the red and green of course but I was thinking of ice blue with the bigger sugar crystals around the rim on top of the blue color to make it look like frost – the finer sugar would work too – there are so many beautiful blue drinks to use with that theme, mojitos, cosmos, blue vodka, etc., those frosted blue glasses with some well placed snowflakes would be beautiful on the table and the green and red rimmed color would appeal to the fun and playful side – with a candy cane sticking out of your glass. I can’t wait.

Reply October 28, 2013 at 1:24 am

bridgett SAYS:

Can you make this ahead

Reply November 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Janine SAYS:

Can you use plastic glasses? Or will they melt?

Reply May 5, 2014 at 10:49 am