Halloween 10.30.08

Halloween Martini – “Vampire Style”

halloween cocktail glass garnish

I featured this “blood rimmed” martini glass on a local news channel here in San Diego a couple weeks ago and have had quite a few people inquire about how to recreate the glass garnish, so here are the directions for those of you who’d like to sip your martini “vampire style” this weekend!

The “blood rim” is made from the same kind of mixture as you’d use to make hard candy. It’s actually pretty easy, but you will need a candy thermometer (which you can find at most grocery stores).

1 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Karo Syrup
1/2 c. Water
Red Food Coloring

Combine sugar, syrup and water. Cook without stirring to hard crack stage – which is 300 degrees F. Add food coloring.

Turn off heat. While the mixture is still hot, dunk the top of the cocktail glass into the mixture to create the red rim. If you need to do several glasses, keep the mixture hot so it lasts longer (instead of turning heat off, just reduce slightly).You can go anywhere from just along the very tip of the rim to part way down the glass – whichever you prefer. Flip the glass right side up to cool. The thick consistency of the mixture will cause “drips” as it hardens on the glass!

halloween cocktail glass garnish

Coordinating cocktail ideas: Vampire Kiss or your other favorite red cocktail.

73 responses to “Halloween Martini – “Vampire Style””

1. jen says:

is this really difficult to clean off if guests don’t eat it?

2. jenn s. says:

Jen – it does take a little time, but it’s doable – you just need to soak the glasses in very hot water for about 5 minutes, and then it will come off pretty easily!

3. Celeste says:

That is so awesome! Im going to try that for other functions too!

4. Toni says:

What a cool trick! Don’t have anything to try it on, though. Oh well. Saving for another year!

5. […] have featured lots of fun recipes for drinks and food in the Halloween spirit.  Check out the vampire martini: photo: […]

6. nicole says:

i am totally going to do this on regular drinking glasses for my kids. they will love it!

7. stephanie says:

had to do it straight away!
    It turned out great although, not quite as clear and blood looking as the picture above. not sure why but i managed to dip in 4 glasses before it turned all crumply and weird, i think maybe it didnt like the cinnamon? Made sure i had the right temperatures and everything! but hey it still looks great!

8. jannypie says:

i LOVE this idea. i’m saving it to do with green apple hard candies for our appletinis on St. Patrick’s day!

9. jenn s. says:

Hi Stephanie –
    Thanks for the feedback! How much cinnamon did you use? We actually didn’t use any cinnamon in the ones we made here, so I am wondering if that’s the difference. We also only made 2 glasses because it was just for a local news spot so that’s all we needed, but you bring up a good point about the temperature – if you want to do a lot of glasses it’s probably best to keep the mixture hot.

I’m going to modify the text slightly based on your feedback – so thanks again!

10. jenn s. says:

jannypie – great idea about the green version for St. Patty’s day!

11. Lori S. says:

The cinnamon (or other flavoring) should be LIQUID flavoring, not dry spices. You can get these at Michael’s or WalMart by the cake decorating items. They come in quite a few different flavors!

12. stephanie says:

oh great, glad i could help!nIt must have ben the cinnamon- i’m a total newbie and didn’t know enough yo use liquid flavoring :-)
    I was thinking theyd look cool in green too, like slime….

13. Guinn says:

I just did this for TruBlood Season finale. It was great and easy to clean. You can even save the candy for another time!

14. Mary says:

Made these for a Twilight-themed party. They came out great. WARNING: Wear heat-proof gloves. I sustained a 3rd-degree burn when I flipped the glass over and a bit of sugar dripped on me. OUCH!!!

15. jenn s. says:

Oh no! So sorry that happened to you, Mary :0 – but thanks for the passing on the tip for others!

16. Alicia A. says:

This is awesome, would you mind if i featured this recipe and style of drink in a vampire novel i am writing? (would give you a credit at the end for use)

let me know

17. jenn s. says:

That would be fine, Alicia – thanks! :)

18. laura says:

would this work with plastic martini cups or would it melt them?

19. jenn s. says:

I think there’s a good possibility it might melt disposable plastic glasses – but I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t say for sure. If you decide to test it out, please let us know the verdict! :)

20. bella swan says:

OME! I love this idea! I’m having my friend Alice over this weekend and we will totally use this!!!