Halloween 10.30.08

Halloween Martini – “Vampire Style”

halloween cocktail glass garnish

I featured this “blood rimmed” martini glass on a local news channel here in San Diego a couple weeks ago and have had quite a few people inquire about how to recreate the glass garnish, so here are the directions for those of you who’d like to sip your martini “vampire style” this weekend!

The “blood rim” is made from the same kind of mixture as you’d use to make hard candy. It’s actually pretty easy, but you will need a candy thermometer (which you can find at most grocery stores).

Ingredients:
1 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Karo Syrup
1/2 c. Water
Red Food Coloring

Directions:
Combine sugar, syrup and water. Cook without stirring to hard crack stage – which is 300 degrees F. Add food coloring.

Turn off heat. While the mixture is still hot, dunk the top of the cocktail glass into the mixture to create the red rim. If you need to do several glasses, keep the mixture hot so it lasts longer (instead of turning heat off, just reduce slightly).You can go anywhere from just along the very tip of the rim to part way down the glass – whichever you prefer. Flip the glass right side up to cool. The thick consistency of the mixture will cause “drips” as it hardens on the glass!

halloween cocktail glass garnish

Coordinating cocktail ideas: Vampire Kiss or your other favorite red cocktail.

73 responses to “Halloween Martini – “Vampire Style””

1. jen says:

is this really difficult to clean off if guests don’t eat it?

2. jenn s. says:

Jen – it does take a little time, but it’s doable – you just need to soak the glasses in very hot water for about 5 minutes, and then it will come off pretty easily!

3. Celeste says:

That is so awesome! Im going to try that for other functions too!

4. Toni says:

What a cool trick! Don’t have anything to try it on, though. Oh well. Saving for another year!

5. […] have featured lots of fun recipes for drinks and food in the Halloween spirit.  Check out the vampire martini: photo: hostessblog.com […]

6. nicole says:

i am totally going to do this on regular drinking glasses for my kids. they will love it!

7. stephanie says:

had to do it straight away!
    It turned out great although, not quite as clear and blood looking as the picture above. not sure why but i managed to dip in 4 glasses before it turned all crumply and weird, i think maybe it didnt like the cinnamon? Made sure i had the right temperatures and everything! but hey it still looks great!

thanks!

8. jannypie says:

i LOVE this idea. i’m saving it to do with green apple hard candies for our appletinis on St. Patrick’s day!

9. jenn s. says:

Hi Stephanie –
    Thanks for the feedback! How much cinnamon did you use? We actually didn’t use any cinnamon in the ones we made here, so I am wondering if that’s the difference. We also only made 2 glasses because it was just for a local news spot so that’s all we needed, but you bring up a good point about the temperature – if you want to do a lot of glasses it’s probably best to keep the mixture hot.

I’m going to modify the text slightly based on your feedback – so thanks again!

10. jenn s. says:

jannypie – great idea about the green version for St. Patty’s day!

11. Lori S. says:

The cinnamon (or other flavoring) should be LIQUID flavoring, not dry spices. You can get these at Michael’s or WalMart by the cake decorating items. They come in quite a few different flavors!

12. stephanie says:

oh great, glad i could help!nIt must have ben the cinnamon- i’m a total newbie and didn’t know enough yo use liquid flavoring :-)
    I was thinking theyd look cool in green too, like slime….

13. Guinn says:

I just did this for TruBlood Season finale. It was great and easy to clean. You can even save the candy for another time!

14. Mary says:

Made these for a Twilight-themed party. They came out great. WARNING: Wear heat-proof gloves. I sustained a 3rd-degree burn when I flipped the glass over and a bit of sugar dripped on me. OUCH!!!

15. jenn s. says:

Oh no! So sorry that happened to you, Mary :0 – but thanks for the passing on the tip for others!

16. Alicia A. says:

This is awesome, would you mind if i featured this recipe and style of drink in a vampire novel i am writing? (would give you a credit at the end for use)

let me know

17. jenn s. says:

That would be fine, Alicia – thanks! :)

18. laura says:

would this work with plastic martini cups or would it melt them?

19. jenn s. says:

I think there’s a good possibility it might melt disposable plastic glasses – but I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t say for sure. If you decide to test it out, please let us know the verdict! :)

20. bella swan says:

OME! I love this idea! I’m having my friend Alice over this weekend and we will totally use this!!!
    Thanks!
    Bella

21. Lacey says:

Anyone know if it melted the plastic cups?

Instead of putting it on plastic cups i was thinking of doing it around the rim of my punch bowl…any good tips on how to do that?

22. amanda says:

I am having a twilight party this friday? i will be pressed for time that evening. would i be able to make these thursday evening? if so what what would be the best place to keep them until the party?

23. jenn s. says:

Lacey –
    I love the punch bowl idea, but I’ve never done that myself so I’m not sure what the best way to go about it would be. You’ll probably have to scoop & pour it over the edges, so just remember to be super careful with such a hot mixture and to put wax paper under the bowl to catch the run-off!

Amanda –
    Making the glasses the night before is fine. They won’t melt at room temperature, so leaving them in a dry place that’s at least room temperature is fine.

It’s also a good idea to cover them with a sheet of wax paper to detract sugar-loving bugs or dust from finding their way to the candy rims!

24. Lori S. says:

to do the punchbowl, try pouring the mixture into a pizza pan (one that is larger than the punchbowl diameter) and “dip” the punchbowl rim in it. I think that would be safer than trying to spoon the hot mixture over the rim and get it to stay. just remember that the metal pan will transfer the heat, so handle with care :)

25. Amy M. says:

I made these for my Twilight DVD release party and they were a huge hit! I made them the night before and they were still fine the next day (even living in humid Texas). I tried a hard plastic martini glass and it did not melt. I saved that one for last after the mixture cooled a little and I didn’t dip it as far down as the others. Even after the warnings I still burned myself (though not 3rd degree!) so take it slow and pay attention. I will make these again as everyone was so impressed by it! Thanks for such a cool idea!

26. Amy says:

I was going to do this on wine glasses for a Twilight party I am having this weekend. If I do it without a flavoring…..will it taste much and ruin the wine?

27. kate says:

Thank u so much !!!
    I am having a twilight birthday party and this is such a cool unique idea that I will definitely use

28. Trine says:

Hi. I was thinking about making these. But can’t the glass burst with the high temperature?

29. Amy says:

We did make these for my Twilight party…did them on wine glass. (the sweetness didn’t seem to bother the taste of the wine) It was a HUGE hit. Everyone seemed to have a personal relationship with their glass by the end of the night. We all can’t wait for the New Moon premire so we can do it again. One thing we did notice is that if your candy gets too cool the dip may be sharp…we actually cut our hands on one glass. Also….this does burn you pretty easy. Be careful. We didn’t have any probably with breakage of glass either.

30. Sarah says:

That is so cool!!!! I want 2 do that for my birthday because it is a twilight party!!! by the way does any one know where i can get twilight decorations?????!?!?!?!?!

31. Sarah B says:

That is really awesome!!!!! I was wonderin if any one knew where i can get twilight decorations for my party???

32. chelsea says:

Sarah go to http://www.squidoo.com/twilight-party-food. it has all kinds of recipes for twilight. they even have a recipe called “rosalies werewolf kibble”

33. clare says:

Hi I am from the UK but would like to give this a go for my sons 11th birthday twilight party.What would I use for the Karo ingredient as I don’t think we have that over here?
    Kind regards
    Clare

34. jenn s. says:

Hi Clare –
    Karo is actually just the name of a popular brand of corn syrup in the US, so you should be able to use any type of light corn syrup in its place. Hope that helps!

35. Meems says:

this is a fantastic idea, i want to throw a party just to try this out :), except i might use wine glasses instead

36. chris says:

how long do you cook?

37. jenn s. says:

Hi Chris –
    You cook the mixture until it’s 300º F, so it’s best to use a candy thermometer. I wasn’t timing it, but it wasn’t super quick…I’d say it took us a good 15 mins to get to that temp!

Meems –
    My friend did this on wine glasses last year and it turned out great! :)

38. Leanne says:

Be sure to wear rubber gloves to protect yourself from burns. I learned this the hard way! Also, be sure to turn the heat off or way down after adding the color, or the color will start changing. In my case it went from red to brownish orange in a matter of a few minutes.

39. Toralinda says:

I tried this both with plastic martini glasses and wine glasses.

The plastic martini glasses ended up melting a bit, though they were still usable.

The wine glasses looked excellent, and were easy to clean off (just soak them in hot water).

40. Tessa says:

I also burned myself! But it was worth it because I really impressed my friends with this and the eyeball-fruit garnish – thanks for sharing this awesome idea!