24 Oct

Ghoulish Glam Halloween – Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

Ghoulish Glam Halloween   Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

Candlelight is a great way to create both a spooky and festive ambiance to any Halloween party. For a “Ghoulish Glam” Halloween theme, try dressing up standard glass cylinders with lacy, gothic-inspired textiles like spiderweb stockings, black fishnets, and black tulle. It only takes a minute (literally!) and these make fantastic Halloween-themed holders for pillar candles…

Ghoulish Glam Halloween   Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

You can usually get at least 4 “slip covers” from one pair of nylons if you’re using 12″ cylinders, and even more for shorter vases, so a little goes a long way! Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are images of the elements we used for each of the 3 designs pictured above:

Holder 1: argyle nylons +2 layers of ribbon
(Swap out the orange hue for red or hot pink, and this design also works great for bachelorette parties!)

Ghoulish Glam Halloween   Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

Holder 2: spiderweb nylons + black glitter spiders (with orange vase gems inside)
*Spiderweb-print nylons are available seasonally at most Halloween stores & online shops.

Ghoulish Glam Halloween   Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

Holder 3: black tulle + black glitter spiders (with black sand inside)
*Just wrap the vase “mummy-style”, then tuck the loose end into one of the folds – so no tape or glue is required!

Ghoulish Glam Halloween   Part 3 {Mood Lighting}

The best part is you don’t even need to worry about runs in the nylons or tears in the tulle – it’s Halloween after all, so runs are actually appropriate!

10Comments

http://littleantdesign.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

Brilliant idea – seriously. How easy and inexpensive – I love that!

Every year I have nylons left over from costumes and they are usually never worn again – now I’ll be throwing them into my Halloween decor box to use as covers for my glass cylinders

Reply October 24, 2008 at 6:53 am

Mimi SAYS:

I really love this idea!! I could have used it for my centerpieces at home… I will def. save this for next year! Thanks

Reply October 24, 2008 at 9:36 am

Neil Cowley SAYS:

Found your site today, and looks like you’re running a great resource. We just started a new Blogger Search Contest and we wan to get the news out to as many brides as we can.  We’re looking for a unique storyteller to go over the edge in Bridal publishing!

The reward is a $3000 destination engagement session with multimedia presentation by me!  You can grab the video code from the above page if you want to embed it in your blog or site so as many people who want to submit an entry can have a shot.

Yours in the image,
Neil

Reply October 24, 2008 at 9:53 am

Katie SAYS:

So wonderful to meet you at the event last night. Those cocktails were delicious and the ideas were great! I was so excited to find the glittery spiders in my bag.

Thanks!

Reply October 24, 2008 at 10:47 am

Ini SAYS:

Hi! Please explain how you get the slip covers to stay put. I did this w/ brown fishnets for a bridal shower in September, but I had a doozy of a time getting them to stay stretched across the glass. Do you tape them? Glue them? Do you just use a huge glass cylinder? help! I heart this look but my fishnet slipcovers fell short. Thanks!

Reply October 24, 2008 at 11:07 am

Megs SAYS:

How do you get the tights to stay up at the top of the cylinder?
-megs

Reply October 24, 2008 at 11:49 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Ini and Megs –
The nylons actually stayed up all by themselves – and they’re very secure! The width of the cylinder is wide enough so that the nylons really cling when they’re stretched around them.

The easiest thing to do is to cut the entire leg off of the pantyhose first and start sliding the hose onto the upside-down cylinder. When you’re most of the way done, flip the cylinder right side up, pull the hose a little longer than the cylinder, and cut off the excess from both ends. (You should have enough left over from each leg to cover at least one more cylinder.) Then adjust the cover as necessary – you can let some of it show over the rim so that it’s visible from the top (see the very first large image – the argyle print nylons) – or you can pull it back under the rim, or even just have the nylons cover a portion of the glass.

It’s honestly a lot easier to do than it is to explain – wish I had a video for you :) But in general – just make sure you have a regular or small size of nylons and cylinders that are 4 – 6″ in diameter, and you should be okay! (Likewise, if you’re planning to use cylinders with an even larger diameter, you might need larger nylons.) In the images above, I used 5×12″ cylinders and regular size nylons.

I also used traditional fish nets on on a cylinder that was a smaller diameter and they stayed up on those as well, but I only used the skinniest part of the hose on it, so it’s possible that the wider part of the leg (thigh area) might have needed to go around a wider cylinder. I’ll have to test that out. (see “Ghoulish Glam Halloween Part 1” – it’s the vase that has the mask on the wooden dowel displayed in it.).

Hope that helps!

Reply October 25, 2008 at 6:52 am

Madelyn @ Southern Weddings SAYS:

I absolutely adore these ideas! These are such easy and simple ways to completely transform something ordinary into something that works with your party theme. Wonderful post and great ideas!

Reply October 27, 2008 at 5:57 am

Tasha SAYS:

A fishnet version of these would be great for the upcoming bachelorette party I’m planning but does anyone have ideas for what else you could put in the vases? I doubt candles are allowed at the bar we’re going to…

Reply June 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

Danielle SAYS:

Who would have thought?! Ingenious!

Reply October 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm