22 Sep

Colorful Birthday Party + DIY Project

Colorful Birthday Party + DIY Project

Hi! I’m Jessica Jones, a graphic designer with a blog called How About Orange, featuring lots of make-it-yourself projects. Awhile back I helped plan a “Colorful Birthday Party” for a friend. This included simple decorations and invitations I could print on my home inkjet printer. Imagining that other folks might find this useful, I’ve converted them into an editable PDF you can download here. Open the file in Adobe Reader (download it free right here if you need it) and edit the text fields to customize for your party. Print page one, flip the sheet over, print page two on the back, and slice the sheet into quarters. Insert into colored envelopes (A2 size is perfect) and you’re done.

You can print the flower pages (also in the pdf) double-sided, cut them out, and hang them in windows or doorways. Tape a series along a string to make a garland, or print them at a reduced size, laminate them with clear contact paper, trim, and you’ve got matching drink coasters.

Colorful Birthday Party + DIY Project

Be sure to provide plenty of brightly colored snacks and fruity drinks for the party! Use a bright table cloth and plates, a rainbow array of lit candles, and tell your guests to pull their red pantsuits out of the closet.

Colorful Birthday Party + DIY Project

A playlist of songs with colors in the lyrics would be the icing on the cake: Pink Cadillac? Purple Rain? Yellow Submarine? Leave your suggestion in the comments!

23Comments

Kirsten SAYS:

little red corvette- prince
blue moon- elvis
when the stars go blue- ryan adams
dark blue- jack’s mannequin
99 red balloons- goldfinger
red meets blue- matt wertz
yellow- coldplay
big yellow taxi- counting crows
your every color- train
colorful- rocco deluca and the burden
this colorful world- eliot morris
green eyes- coldplay
green- brendan james

Reply September 22, 2008 at 6:33 am

Desiree SAYS:

This is such a fun idea – and right up my alley since I’m a color fanatic! Thanks for the templates!

Reply September 22, 2008 at 6:33 am

http://rainylakechick.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

Cute idea! And I already read (and love!) How About Orange!!

Question: I would love to know how to get bright colored frosting. I tried this on my own a month ago and it was a complete disaster! Too much food coloring changed the consistency of the frosting and it all melted…. I was definitely not the Hostess with the Mostess that night. :(

Reply September 22, 2008 at 7:43 am

jenn s. SAYS:

If your frosting gets too runny when you add a lot of food coloring to it – just add powdered sugar to thicken it up until you’re happy with the consistency. That always works for me!

Reply September 22, 2008 at 7:47 am

Jess SAYS:

Great song list, Kirsten

Reply September 22, 2008 at 8:09 am

http://rainylakechick.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

Thanks Jenn! That’s a good tip. :)

Reply September 22, 2008 at 8:12 am

Heather C. SAYS:

Back In Black – AC/DC
Back To Black – Amy Winehouse
Behind Blue Eyes – The Who
Behind These Hazel Eyes – Kelly Clarkson
Geek In The Pink – Jason Mraz
Pink is My Favorite Color – Aerosmith
Lady In Red – Chris De Burgh
Yellow Ledbetter – Pearl Jam

This website has just about every song with a color in the title:

Reply September 22, 2008 at 8:56 am

http://papermonkeyinvites.wordpress.com/ SAYS:

That flower and bright color theme for a party is great. Definitely very festive. Perfect to have towards the end of summer before the fall and cold winter hit.

Reply September 22, 2008 at 12:48 pm

http://stemparties.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

I love a happy theme. This is perfect and the things you can do with color for your theme are endless.

Really fun post, Jessica. Giving away the templates is icing on the cake. So cool of you!

Reply September 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Kari SAYS:

About bright colored frosting. . . Be sure you are using paste food coloring and not the liquid kind. Paste colors are found in craft stores in the cake decorating section. Red being a particularly difficult color to get, Wilton makes a “No Taste Red.” Also, if you ever want to make black icing, start with cholcolate icing before adding black paste food coloring. Hope that helps!

Reply September 23, 2008 at 4:31 am

Kari SAYS:

Oops. . . I mean C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E icing!

Reply September 23, 2008 at 4:33 am

http://my-crafty-mess.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

How about ‘She’s a Rainbow” by the Rolling Stones?

Reply September 23, 2008 at 6:11 am

http://lemondropstudio.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

This is fantastic!! I am a follower of How About Orange, and now I found a new favorite site, too!! Thanks for the great ideas!!

Reply September 23, 2008 at 7:57 am

Tracy SAYS:

Jessica, thanks for posting this link on your own Orange blog. This is a great site!

I colorful party is a great idea. A few years ago we had an “I love Hue” party which was on the same lines. I love the song lists that everyone has posted here.

Reply September 23, 2008 at 4:50 pm

nikie SAYS:

my little 6 year old is having his birthday partie and we cant go out of the house because i am almost ready to give birth so this really helped me for what i am going to do for his birthday party!!!

Reply February 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm