Theme Parties 08.14.08

REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

From the second i laid eyes on the ultra-creative “bowling lane table runner” pictured above, I knew this Wii Bowling Tournament was going to be a fun party to check out! Even better, the party’s hostess with the mostess: Robin Chowaniec put the tournament together as a mini fundraiser for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Read on for more for more info on all the creative details – from Wii controller candy dispenser favors to Margamiitas and Mowiitos – straight from Robin herself!

“To get my husband more involved with Relay, I formed a team named: Team Wii Fight Cancer.  The bowling tournament seemed like a good excuse to have friends over to play the Wii, eat and raise a couple hundred $$ for ACS.”

Pictured above: (Image 1) The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows. The plastic bowling pins & ball are from Oriental Trading Company. (Image 2) I glazed a handful of dense pound cake cubes to look like Wii remote controls, then used a frosting pen to duplicate power and home logos.

Below: a “Team Wii” sign made from cardstock:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

For easy Caprese Salad on a Stick appetizers, I stuck the sticks into halved mini watermelons with printed Mii’s of those attending amongst the food:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

I found *mini Wii remote candy dispensers at Walgreens, just repackaged in clear cellophane bags for favors:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Margaritas and Mojitos were labeled as “Margamiitas” and “Mowiitos” for more Wii friendly atmosphere:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Evite had a Wii Sports themed invite:

Wii Party Evite

Other things to note:
Etch-it Cups from Celebrate Express were a big hit.
• We used a mini white board to keep track of top 4 scores.
• Top score got mini plastic trophy from Party City and a restaurant gift card.

Thanks so much for the inspiration, Robin! I can already think of a bunch of my own Wii-addicted friends who will love all these ideas!

*Note – I had a hard time finding a good place online to purchase Wii Remote Candy Dispensers, but there were a couple on ebay, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they’ve seen them at Cost Plus, and then Robin found hers at Walgreens, so maybe they’re more of an in-store thing…but if anyone knows of any good places online, please share!

60 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament”

1. Maureen says:

I love this. what did you use to keep score? Is there a free printalbe sheet ? Is there a free printalbe for the miis?

2. Krissy says:

The wii candy dispensers are also at Rite Aid. Our Rite Aid had them on the “impulse buy” rack for 1.99 each. Thanks for all the great ideas!

3. amy says:

hello- I am interested in having a wii tournament at our senior center. We’re just getting going with this idea and I’m not sure where to start. I love the decoration ideas and will use them for our tournament but I have some other technical questions. We have a wii, do I need to purchase any additional software in order to have multiple players? If so, where do I go to do this? I think it will be a great party, I just need a little help getting started if you have the time.

4. Becca says:

This is awesome! I’m planning a Wii bowling tournament as a fundraiser for my 3day breast cancer walk – the information that you have provided here will be invaluable to me during my planning! thanks!!

5. Teresa says:

You can rent Wii’s at Best Buy’s. Hope this helps

6. Jaznel says:

Can people play from home online as well?

7. Susan says:

How did you raise money? Did you charge the guest to participate? How many people did you have and how much did you charge?

8. sharon says:

I love this wii party idea, I am going to use some of the ideas for my son 13 year old birthday party.

But do anyone no how to print the mii?

9. jenn s. says:

Hi Sharon –

Here’s one tip suggested by a reader – go to this website: and create a mii online, then print it out. You may need to take a screenshot of the mii though, because she noted having difficulty printing it out the “regular” way. If I hear of an easier way I’ll definitely pass the info along!

10. Carol says:

I found the Wii KLICK-ON Candy Dispensers 12 Pack online at Amazon for $21.87.

Love the party ideas. I am trying to incorporate them into our firm’s tax season activities. We will have a Wii bowling league in both of our offices to have some stress release for our accountants. We end the season with an after tax season party and I have gotten some ideas from this site! Thank you!

11. Leslie says:

BEST THING! Got for my nephew’s birthday and the kids and partents had a blast! The lanes can be walked on, and sofas are very relaxing! What a great idea!

12. roberta says:

Having trouble finding a place to create Mii ‘s that can print.. Any sugestions?

13. toni says:

so where did the mii on a stick come from those are super cute and i wanna do them please let me know

14. jenn s. says:

Ton and Roberta –
    I’m not sure how Robin did these exactly, but here’s a site that looks like it helps with printable mii’s:

Good luck! :)

15. Brian W says:

Anyone know if there are actual wii bowling tournaments?

16. Michelle says:

I searched “wii printables” and came up with a printable cutout you fold an glue into a treat box. super cute and easy I did mine on card stock.

17. KARI says:

18. […] couple of years ago, I came across the Hostess With the Mostess blog.  I was instantly thrilled to find a site all about planning events (of any kind, for any […]

19. […] This looks like such fun and a great idea to fill a cold winter day. This was featured on the Hostess With The Mostess Blog. Filed Under: Invitations, Parties, Table Settings, theme […]