14 Aug

REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

From the second i laid eyes on the ultra-creative “bowling lane table runner” pictured above, I knew this Wii Bowling Tournament was going to be a fun party to check out! Even better, the party’s hostess with the mostess: Robin Chowaniec put the tournament together as a mini fundraiser for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Read on for more for more info on all the creative details – from Wii controller candy dispenser favors to Margamiitas and Mowiitos – straight from Robin herself!

“To get my husband more involved with Relay, I formed a team named: Team Wii Fight Cancer.  The bowling tournament seemed like a good excuse to have friends over to play the Wii, eat and raise a couple hundred $$ for ACS.”

Pictured above: (Image 1) The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows. The plastic bowling pins & ball are from Oriental Trading Company. (Image 2) I glazed a handful of dense pound cake cubes to look like Wii remote controls, then used a frosting pen to duplicate power and home logos.

Below: a “Team Wii” sign made from cardstock:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

For easy Caprese Salad on a Stick appetizers, I stuck the sticks into halved mini watermelons with printed Mii’s of those attending amongst the food:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

I found *mini Wii remote candy dispensers at Walgreens, just repackaged in clear cellophane bags for favors:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Margaritas and Mojitos were labeled as “Margamiitas” and “Mowiitos” for more Wii friendly atmosphere:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Evite had a Wii Sports themed invite:

Wii Party Evite

Other things to note:
Etch-it Cups from Celebrate Express were a big hit.
• We used a mini white board to keep track of top 4 scores.
• Top score got mini plastic trophy from Party City and a restaurant gift card.

Thanks so much for the inspiration, Robin! I can already think of a bunch of my own Wii-addicted friends who will love all these ideas!

*Note – I had a hard time finding a good place online to purchase Wii Remote Candy Dispensers, but there were a couple on ebay, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they’ve seen them at Cost Plus, and then Robin found hers at Walgreens, so maybe they’re more of an in-store thing…but if anyone knows of any good places online, please share!

You might also like

Sorry, no posts found

http://theblissfulbride.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

Oh my goodness I just LOVE this! I know so many people that would go crazy for a party like this. And, kudos to Robin for doing it all for a good cause!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 3:04 pm

http://moderneve.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

this is wonderful! we just had our wii-lympics fundraiser party on 08.08.08, coinciding with the opening ceremony in beijing. check it out on my blog: moderneve.blogspot.com

also, in regards to the party favors you had – you can find them at CVS as well as Toys R US.

another idea our these adorable mii chocolats. available at: http://www.popgadget.net/2008/01/chocolate_mii_f.php

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Stacy SAYS:

This is a fantastic idea and so creative. I would have loved to have been there and to have had a mowiito.

Thanks for sharing,

Reply August 17, 2008 at 5:59 am

Kate SAYS:

I love this!! I am definitely making note of this and throwing one of these soon. In the meantime, I am busy trying to think up ides for a medical themed party for someone about to go into hospital for an operation on both his feet which will have him laid up for months – any help or ideas would be gratefully received!!!!

Reply August 19, 2008 at 5:32 am

dee SAYS:

this is such a great idea, its brilliant! its so creative i think i will have to try get my university to run a wii-lympics as a fundraiser! i especially love the idea of the miis printed out! welldone!

Reply August 20, 2008 at 3:45 am

http://www.dabbled.org SAYS:

You have such fun ideas! By the way, I linked to this, and a couple other of your posts in my latest ‘inspirations’ post… keep up the great party ideas! http://www.dabbled.org/2008/08/wednesday-linky-goodness.html

Reply August 20, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Robin SAYS:

Thanks Dot!

Reply September 2, 2008 at 11:57 am

Staci SAYS:

This is great. My son is turning 10 and he wants a Wii party. You have some wonderful ideas. Thanks!!!

Reply September 7, 2008 at 10:11 am

http://wedding-palindrome-wedding.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

i’ve been racking my brain for ideas for my nephew’s first birthday, but i’m just going to steal this one! it’ll probably be just wii/mii related and not necessarily bowling related. the DIY in me says i can make super cute onesies with my nephew’s mii on it! :) i’ll post pictures on my blog afterwards!

Reply September 10, 2008 at 9:47 am

Janet SAYS:

We are setting up a Wii Bowling League in our neighborhood, but I am stumped on how to organize teams (6 teams of 2 people, or 6 people on each team). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply September 29, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Anari Belpre SAYS:

A great thing you can do also is plan a nationwide wii bowling party. Using Gamezy.com you can play wii bowling online, all you need is a web cam. Create a league and compete against other leagues for cash and prizes.
As a fundraiser its a great way to maximize your efforts and raise more money.

Reply October 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm

We hve seen your MII people onm a stick on your website. Can you tell us where you got the images to use on the sticks

Reply October 21, 2008 at 12:18 pm

sue SAYS:

I just invited a bunch of girlfriends over for a Wii bowling party, now I know how to make it even better!
I also am in charge of a fundraiser and need some help. It’s an international theme, with a beautiful passport as the invitation. But we don’t know what to name the actual event. It’s an auction, with a sit down dinner. Each course will be a different country. The tables will be in india sari silk, auction tables will have decorations from countries like Japan, Spain, Africa. should we just say “Escape” since that conjours up something exciting and much needed these days? Ideas please!!

Reply October 28, 2008 at 7:06 pm

Donna SAYS:

This is fantastic!!
Where did you find the table runner?

Reply November 15, 2008 at 11:15 am

jenn s. SAYS:

HI Donna –
Robin actually made the table runner! This is what she said:
“The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows.”

Reply November 15, 2008 at 12:12 pm