14 Aug

REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

From the second i laid eyes on the ultra-creative “bowling lane table runner” pictured above, I knew this Wii Bowling Tournament was going to be a fun party to check out! Even better, the party’s hostess with the mostess: Robin Chowaniec put the tournament together as a mini fundraiser for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Read on for more for more info on all the creative details – from Wii controller candy dispenser favors to Margamiitas and Mowiitos – straight from Robin herself!

***

“To get my husband more involved with Relay, I formed a team named: Team Wii Fight Cancer.  The bowling tournament seemed like a good excuse to have friends over to play the Wii, eat and raise a couple hundred $$ for ACS.”

Pictured above: (Image 1) The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows. The plastic bowling pins & ball are from Oriental Trading Company. (Image 2) I glazed a handful of dense pound cake cubes to look like Wii remote controls, then used a frosting pen to duplicate power and home logos.

Below: a “Team Wii” sign made from cardstock:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

For easy Caprese Salad on a Stick appetizers, I stuck the sticks into halved mini watermelons with printed Mii’s of those attending amongst the food:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

I found *mini Wii remote candy dispensers at Walgreens, just repackaged in clear cellophane bags for favors:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Margaritas and Mojitos were labeled as “Margamiitas” and “Mowiitos” for more Wii friendly atmosphere:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Evite had a Wii Sports themed invite:

Wii Party Evite

Other things to note:
Etch-it Cups from Celebrate Express were a big hit.
• We used a mini white board to keep track of top 4 scores.

***

Thanks so much for the inspiration, Robin! I can already think of a bunch of my own Wii-addicted friends who will love all these ideas!

*Note – I had a hard time finding a good place online to purchase Wii Remote Candy Dispensers, but there were a couple on ebay, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they’ve seen them at Cost Plus, and then Robin found hers at Walgreens, so maybe they’re more of an in-store thing…but if anyone knows of any good places online, please share!

You might also like

Sorry, no posts found

60Comments

http://mommyhoodinc.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

This is such a great idea. I been trying to think of something unique to do for my husband’s 40th birthday. THIS IS IT!!!!! Thanks so much!

Now the big question…where do I rent a Wii?

Reply August 14, 2008 at 8:42 am

denise SAYS:

What a fun theme. You put together a darling party and helped a worthwhile cause – great work!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 8:55 am

jenn s. SAYS:

The best place to check for rentals is your local video store like Blockbuster…or maybe even borrow from a close friend.

OR – you could make the Wii your husband’s b-day gift and keep it ;) Chances are good that you’ll want to keep playing once you start…and you can also use it to surf the web on your TV because it has built-in wireless internet capabilities (or you can plug it in)- and you can get a web browser for it for a couple bucks.

You can also download old-school Nintendo games onto the Wii like Super Mario Bros, Frogger, Tecmo Bowl, etc. for a more “nostalgic” gaming experience, as my husband puts it :)

Reply August 14, 2008 at 8:59 am

http://masterpieceweddings.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

How fun! I so want to go to this party!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:08 am

ajaschke SAYS:

What a great Idea for a great cause, there are so many other great games that you could expand on…golf, racing, etc.

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:15 am

Madelyn @ Southern Weddings SAYS:

I adore this party! The table runner is fantastic! I love how well thought the theme is and how well it is incorporated into every detail of the party! Fantastic!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:35 am

http://stemparties.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

This is fantastic!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:36 am

http://maritessb.blogspot.com/ SAYS:

this is one of the best theme yet! i’m doing it for my husband birthday as well!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 9:44 am

Amanda SAYS:

This is a fabulous idea, does anyone know how to print out their mii like that? Can you email your mii to a computer?

I think I know what our next party theme will be!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 10:09 am

Robin SAYS:

So glad everyone likes it. The party was fun…perfect for all ages. Unfortunately you can’t email your mii to a computer. I’ll go find the website we used to create the mii’s and post it here.

Reply August 14, 2008 at 10:29 am

Karen SAYS:

Robin did you post details of how you set up the tournament if not could you?

September 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

Robin SAYS:

Here’s a couple of websites that will make the mii’s into jpegs. The second one makes tshirts! ah, I’ll have to remember that for next time.

Reply August 14, 2008 at 10:48 am

mkhertzel SAYS:

What a great idea! Everyone loves food. Combine that with a little Wii bowling, some cocktails, and raising money for a good cause and you’ve got a party that can’t be beat!!

I love the mini-Wii remote candy dispensers. And the drink names are adorable (as well as very creative!)!! Where did you come up with them?

Reply August 14, 2008 at 10:48 am

Meg SAYS:

I must have those Wii remote candy dispensers!
I am also doing a fundraiser using my Wii, only with Mario Kart. It is for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. These are the perfect touch!
I hope someone can help find them online, as I have neither a Walgreens or a Cost Plus near me.

Reply August 14, 2008 at 11:48 am

Robin SAYS:

I went searching and only found one site where you could purchase online and of course they are on back order. Sorry.

I love the Mario Kart idea though. Maybe I’ll have a 2nd fundraiser as my Relay isn’t for a little while.

Reply August 14, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Meg SAYS:

Okay I found some on amazon.

I hope the link works!

And I recommend the Mario Kart or a Mario Party 8 fundraiser. Anything with a Wii is fun!

Reply August 14, 2008 at 2:46 pm