Theme Parties 08.14.08

REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

From the second i laid eyes on the ultra-creative “bowling lane table runner” pictured above, I knew this Wii Bowling Tournament was going to be a fun party to check out! Even better, the party’s hostess with the mostess: Robin Chowaniec put the tournament together as a mini fundraiser for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Read on for more for more info on all the creative details – from Wii controller candy dispenser favors to Margamiitas and Mowiitos – straight from Robin herself!

***

“To get my husband more involved with Relay, I formed a team named: Team Wii Fight Cancer.  The bowling tournament seemed like a good excuse to have friends over to play the Wii, eat and raise a couple hundred $$ for ACS.”

Pictured above: (Image 1) The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows. The plastic bowling pins & ball are from Oriental Trading Company. (Image 2) I glazed a handful of dense pound cake cubes to look like Wii remote controls, then used a frosting pen to duplicate power and home logos.

Below: a “Team Wii” sign made from cardstock:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

For easy Caprese Salad on a Stick appetizers, I stuck the sticks into halved mini watermelons with printed Mii’s of those attending amongst the food:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

I found *mini Wii remote candy dispensers at Walgreens, just repackaged in clear cellophane bags for favors:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Margaritas and Mojitos were labeled as “Margamiitas” and “Mowiitos” for more Wii friendly atmosphere:

Wii Bowling Tournament Party

Evite had a Wii Sports themed invite:

Wii Party Evite

Other things to note:
Etch-it Cups from Celebrate Express were a big hit.
• We used a mini white board to keep track of top 4 scores.

***

Thanks so much for the inspiration, Robin! I can already think of a bunch of my own Wii-addicted friends who will love all these ideas!

*Note – I had a hard time finding a good place online to purchase Wii Remote Candy Dispensers, but there were a couple on ebay, and someone on Yahoo! Answers said they’ve seen them at Cost Plus, and then Robin found hers at Walgreens, so maybe they’re more of an in-store thing…but if anyone knows of any good places online, please share!

60 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Wii Bowling Tournament”

1. http://mommyhoodinc.blogspot.com/ says:

This is such a great idea. I been trying to think of something unique to do for my husband’s 40th birthday. THIS IS IT!!!!! Thanks so much!

Now the big question…where do I rent a Wii?

2. denise says:

What a fun theme. You put together a darling party and helped a worthwhile cause – great work!

3. jenn s. says:

The best place to check for rentals is your local video store like Blockbuster…or maybe even borrow from a close friend.

OR – you could make the Wii your husband’s b-day gift and keep it ;) Chances are good that you’ll want to keep playing once you start…and you can also use it to surf the web on your TV because it has built-in wireless internet capabilities (or you can plug it in)- and you can get a web browser for it for a couple bucks.

You can also download old-school Nintendo games onto the Wii like Super Mario Bros, Frogger, Tecmo Bowl, etc. for a more “nostalgic” gaming experience, as my husband puts it :)

4. How fun! I so want to go to this party!

5. ajaschke says:

What a great Idea for a great cause, there are so many other great games that you could expand on…golf, racing, etc.

6. I adore this party! The table runner is fantastic! I love how well thought the theme is and how well it is incorporated into every detail of the party! Fantastic!

7. this is one of the best theme yet! i’m doing it for my husband birthday as well!

8. Amanda says:

This is a fabulous idea, does anyone know how to print out their mii like that? Can you email your mii to a computer?

I think I know what our next party theme will be!

9. Robin says:

So glad everyone likes it. The party was fun…perfect for all ages. Unfortunately you can’t email your mii to a computer. I’ll go find the website we used to create the mii’s and post it here.

10. Robin says:

Here’s a couple of websites that will make the mii’s into jpegs. The second one makes tshirts! ah, I’ll have to remember that for next time.

11. mkhertzel says:

What a great idea! Everyone loves food. Combine that with a little Wii bowling, some cocktails, and raising money for a good cause and you’ve got a party that can’t be beat!!

I love the mini-Wii remote candy dispensers. And the drink names are adorable (as well as very creative!)!! Where did you come up with them?

12. Meg says:

I must have those Wii remote candy dispensers!
    I am also doing a fundraiser using my Wii, only with Mario Kart. It is for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. These are the perfect touch!
    I hope someone can help find them online, as I have neither a Walgreens or a Cost Plus near me.

13. Robin says:

I went searching and only found one site where you could purchase online and of course they are on back order. Sorry.

I love the Mario Kart idea though. Maybe I’ll have a 2nd fundraiser as my Relay isn’t for a little while.

14. Meg says:

Okay I found some on amazon.

I hope the link works!

And I recommend the Mario Kart or a Mario Party 8 fundraiser. Anything with a Wii is fun!

15. Oh my goodness I just LOVE this! I know so many people that would go crazy for a party like this. And, kudos to Robin for doing it all for a good cause!

16. this is wonderful! we just had our wii-lympics fundraiser party on 08.08.08, coinciding with the opening ceremony in beijing. check it out on my blog: moderneve.blogspot.com

also, in regards to the party favors you had – you can find them at CVS as well as Toys R US.

another idea our these adorable mii chocolats. available at: http://www.popgadget.net/2008/01/chocolate_mii_f.php

17. Stacy says:

This is a fantastic idea and so creative. I would have loved to have been there and to have had a mowiito.

Thanks for sharing,
    Stacy

18. Kate says:

I love this!! I am definitely making note of this and throwing one of these soon. In the meantime, I am busy trying to think up ides for a medical themed party for someone about to go into hospital for an operation on both his feet which will have him laid up for months – any help or ideas would be gratefully received!!!!

19. dee says:

this is such a great idea, its brilliant! its so creative i think i will have to try get my university to run a wii-lympics as a fundraiser! i especially love the idea of the miis printed out! welldone!

20. You have such fun ideas! By the way, I linked to this, and a couple other of your posts in my latest ‘inspirations’ post… keep up the great party ideas! http://www.dabbled.org/2008/08/wednesday-linky-goodness.html

Dot
    dabbled.org

21. Robin says:

Thanks Dot!

22. Staci says:

This is great. My son is turning 10 and he wants a Wii party. You have some wonderful ideas. Thanks!!!

23. […] eloquent about Wii Bowling. For example, over at the Hostess with the Mostess blog, they have a great post about a Wii bowling party complete with Margamiitas and Mowiitos (tell me you wish you […]

24. i’ve been racking my brain for ideas for my nephew’s first birthday, but i’m just going to steal this one! it’ll probably be just wii/mii related and not necessarily bowling related. the DIY in me says i can make super cute onesies with my nephew’s mii on it! :) i’ll post pictures on my blog afterwards!

25. Janet says:

We are setting up a Wii Bowling League in our neighborhood, but I am stumped on how to organize teams (6 teams of 2 people, or 6 people on each team). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

26. Anari Belpre says:

A great thing you can do also is plan a nationwide wii bowling party. Using Gamezy.com you can play wii bowling online, all you need is a web cam. Create a league and compete against other leagues for cash and prizes.
    As a fundraiser its a great way to maximize your efforts and raise more money.

27. kAREN says:

We hve seen your MII people onm a stick on your website. Can you tell us where you got the images to use on the sticks

28. sue says:

I just invited a bunch of girlfriends over for a Wii bowling party, now I know how to make it even better!
    I also am in charge of a fundraiser and need some help. It’s an international theme, with a beautiful passport as the invitation. But we don’t know what to name the actual event. It’s an auction, with a sit down dinner. Each course will be a different country. The tables will be in india sari silk, auction tables will have decorations from countries like Japan, Spain, Africa. should we just say “Escape” since that conjours up something exciting and much needed these days? Ideas please!!

29. Donna says:

This is fantastic!!
    Where did you find the table runner?

30. jenn s. says:

HI Donna –
    Robin actually made the table runner! This is what she said:
    “The table runner was a kitchen cabinet liner that looked like bamboo with red masking tape added for foul line and cut for direction arrows.”

31. […] Party Theme REAL PARTIES Wii Bowling Tournament Hostess with the Mostess REAL PARTIES Wii Bowling Tournament Hostess with the Mostess is also a nice […]

32. Hi folks, I finally threw the wii/mii party for my nephew and as promised I posted pictures on my blog. It was such a fun party- Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! http://wedding-palindrome-wedding.blogspot.com/2008/12/wiimii-partii-time.html

33. Wilco says:

Hey there, cool stuff. We want to setup some sort of Wii tourny for a fund raiser as well. I am curious about HOW you make it a fund raiser? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wilco

34. Tammy says:

Where did you get the Mill’s that you put with the food? I cannot find out how to print them out?

35. Rosa says:

Wii parties are lots of fun for all ages. Come check us out at http://www.wiipartiescfl.com

36. Thanks so much for the inspiration! When my 10 year old son came to me requesting this exact theme for his party, I remembered this post and knew it would be a piece of cake!

Check out our spin on this theme here: http://pumpkinpetunia.blogspot.com/2009/01/wiiiiiiiiiiii-party-recap.html

37. […] and check out another awesome Wii Bowling party over at Hostess with the Mostess.  […]

38. Zoe says:

I am trying to set up a Wii bowling league or tennis league. I have no clue as to how to make it fun with prizes etc. We are a bunch of “young” 50 year old ladies! Any ideas?

Thanks.

39. Donna says:

How can i organize a wii bowling tournament as a HIV fundraiser. I want to have two college student groups competing