Candyland First Birthday Party – Part l

Max Sutter's Candyland Birthday Party

UPDATE 8/13 – I’m allowed to put this post back up now! Yay! (was originally posted on Monday but had to wait until the MomLogic article was up.)

Hi Everyone – I’m back from Colorado and happy to report that Max’s Candyland Birthday Party went well!  We definitely ran into some hiccups with the weather (hello, sporadic thunderstorms!) and ended up having to move everything indoors at the last minute, but it all worked out in the end… more on all that later!

Max Sutter's Candyland Birthday Party

It will probably take me a couple days to get everything up in the Party Themes section with detailed “how-to” instructions and all that fun stuff, but in the meantime – to get something up quick – I added 2 photo albums of the pictures that Sonny took with our camera onto the HWTM Facebook Page: Candyland Birthday Party – Part l (featuring party decor, candy & favor shots) and Candyland Birthday Party – Part ll (Max, Trista & Ryan with the birthday cake).

Max Sutter's Candyland Birthday Party

Pictured above: Max having fun with his giant birthday cupcake. Pictured below: a few quick decor shots… check out the Candyland Part l photo album for lots more images.  Additional images from the professional photographer should be available soon as well…including more extensive shots of the 10-ft candy buffet!

Max Sutter's Candyland Birthday Party

Max Sutter's Candyland Birthday Party

63 responses to “Candyland First Birthday Party – Part l”

1. Rene says:

I just found out the shirt Trista is wearing can be found at…I LOVE it…she looks great!!

2. Tracey says:

Hi Jenn,

Great theme party…where did you get the cute paint tins for the favors? It looks like Sweet Factory on the label.

3. jenn s. says:

Thanks, Tracey!

They are little Sweet Factory pails – and SF actually just sent them with the candy, so I’m not sure if they sell them individually. I didn’t see them online, but I’m going to ask the person I worked with over there next week. I hope they do sell them because they were the perfect size and super cute. If not, you could always use mini takeout cartons in either translucent or solid colors.

The container store also has some other cute pails/tins, but some of them could get a little pricey depending on how many people are at the party! Here’s the link:

Jenn :)

4. Stacy says:

Another great idea, I just love all of the bright colors in this one. This would be a great theme for a girl or boy of any age. Thanks for sharing

5. […] lunchboxes on, I came across the great photos of a Candyland birthday party on the Hostess Blog. They used similar (or maybe the same) lunchboxes as personalized party favors. Here’s a […]

6. AMBER GARRETT says:

7. Tanya says:

I’m helping with my niece’s b’day party who will be turning 4 next month. I was surfing the internet for all candyland ideas and your info came up, so I can not wait to share this with my sister. I’m so glad to see you and your family are doing well.

8. Maria says:

I’m planning my daughters 1st b-day party, which happens to be a candy theme. I sent out lollipop invites, and I was wondering if you have any other creative decoration ideas or games in mind. I loved your sons party setup it was amazing…….

9. jenn s. says:

Hi Maria –
    You can check out step-by-step on how to recreate the candy decorations – like the giant candies made out of paper lanterns & cellophane, giant lollipops, candy bouquets, and more on our detailed Candyland Birthday party theme page:

And for some great activity ideas, check out the Candyland ideas on Peppers and Pollywogs, which is a great kids party planning website:

hope that helps!

10. Navy Sou says:

OMG…We had a Candy Shoppe party for my daughter’s 3rd birthday last year that was similar! Here are some of the photos from the party posted on my blog:

11. […] Hostess with the Mostess recently created a fabulous Candy Land Party for the Bachelorette’s birthday boy, Max! She came up with some great creative ideas to build on this theme … a stunning, spectacular […]

12. Helene says:

Can you tell me where you got the centerpieces?

13. Summer says:

Wow. Beautiful. Just wondering where you purchased those lollipop inspired fans from (the decorations with the stick and placed in the grass).

14. Jeannine says:

I am driving myself crazy trying to find similar invitations used for Max!! The candy tree was ADORABLE!! The colors are perfect for my daughter’s first birthday! If anyone can help me find the designer I would be so grateful!!!

15. tasia says:

where can i find the pillows, flowers, candy. I am doing a carnival with a candy theme and i cant find a things to go along with the theme

16. jenn s. says:

Hi Everyone – I’m just now seeing all the latest questions – so apologies for the delay in response! Answers are below -and you can also get tons more details and step by step info on how to recreate this theme here:

Helene –
    I made the centerpieces using blumeboxes & blumebox ribbons – both of which are available at The lollipops and whirly pops used for the “bouquet” portion are all available at

Summer – the “fans” are from Here’s the direct link (they’re actually called “paper daisies”).

Jeannine – So sorry you’ve been having a tough time with the invitations! I actually made the invitations myself for Trista, but I don’t usually offer this type of service because there just aren’t enough hours in the day :0 But the candy tree illustration is from – and any designer you find would be able to use it (you just have to purchase it for about $10 first I think). It’s editable, so the image can be adjusted as necessary in Adobe Illustrator:

Good luck everyone!

17. Ashley S. says:

This idea is really cute…where did u find the pillows and decorations for the hanging candy in the tree

18. jenn s. says:

Ashley –
    The pillows are from and the tree decorations are actually round paper lanterns from (6″ – 12″ sizes) wrapped in cellophane and tied off at the ends with ribbon. The cellophane rolls are available at craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

19. sarah says:

if you are looking for CandyLand invitations that are ADORABLE check out paperheartpress on – i am so happy with the quality and turnaround time…not too mention how cute they are!

20. shanik washington says:

Jenn….I must say that u have come up with some great ideas.Well I wont take up too much of your time….I just wanted to know where did u get the whirly pops yardsticks or if u made them….how did u make them I would luv to know.May god continue to bless you and your family.