22 Jul

Party Theme Idea: Kitschy Retro Glam

Party Theme Idea: Kitschy Retro Glam

I’m so smitten with the adorable Mini Classic Gumball Machines highlighted on Simply Stated today that I felt inspired to work up an excuse to use them! So… here are a few quick ideas for a Kitschy Retro Glam party theme that combines 50′s diner style with a little glamour girl attitude… a fun way to celebrate that bride-to-be or birthday girl with a fun, sassy side!

Party Theme Idea: Kitschy Retro Glam

Tablescape & Decor Ideas:
• Feature Retro-Style Napkin Dispensers (in blue or black) and Retro 50′s Poodle Poodle Salt & Shaker Sets
• Decorate table surfaces & centerpieces with pink & blue acrylic ice and Diamond Shaped Crystal Paperweights
• Embellish Mini Classic Gumball Machine favors with rhinestones and use them as place card holders
• Choose paper partyware with retro-style patterns & colors, such as houndstooth, dots, and stripes. (Pictured above: Black & White Houndstooth Plates, Turquoise Stripes Napkins, and Pink & White Dots Napkins.
• Serve drinks or treats on this gorgeous, extra-large Kitsch Pink Melamine Platter ($28)
“Frugal” cocktail napkins by Anne Taintor add a shot of sass to the soirée!
• Decorate mod vases and frames with occasion-appropriate rhinestone word stickers such as “Bride”, “Cheers”, or “Birthday Girl”

Food & Drink Ideas:
• Create a candy buffet featuring several clear jars and other containers filled with gumballs, color-coordinated candies, rock candy sticks, and ring pops. This fun Jukebox Gumball Dispenser would be a fabulous focal piece!
• Serve Root Beer Float Cocktails in soda-fountain glasses or stemware embellished with cocktail charms featuring faux diamonds or pearls.
• Serve mini root beer or coke floats in colorful paper juice cups embellished with rhinestones

I’m sure you guys have a ton of ideas to build on this theme, so please feel free to post them here!

10Comments

lily SAYS:

Such a fun theme! And that poodle shaped salt and pepper set is just about the cutest thing ever!

Reply July 22, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Mary SAYS:

This is such a fun theme, and it looks pretty stress-free.
Anne Taintor’s stuff just kills me, it is hilarious!

Reply July 22, 2008 at 11:27 pm

southern hostess SAYS:

What a terrific idea! The root beer float cocktail sounds gooood.

Reply July 23, 2008 at 7:51 am

amy SAYS:

As someone who loves few things more than wearing vintage 50′s dresses to cocktail parties, this is right up my alley.

Can you imagine if you asked all the guests to come dressed in vintage? Sigh – the photos would be so fantastic.

Reply July 23, 2008 at 8:43 am

holly hatam SAYS:

I actually have those diamond paper weights in my office…they add some sparkle to the space!

Reply July 23, 2008 at 8:43 am

jenn s. SAYS:

such a great idea to dress up vintage, Amy! They actually have some great things for “dress up” at the same place that sells the poodle shakers & pink melamine tray. Check out these retro houndstooth peep-toes ;)

Reply July 23, 2008 at 9:32 am

amy SAYS:

Jenn, I mean this with love when I say this: Devil Woman. This posting good stuff has got to stop.

Reply July 23, 2008 at 10:16 am

Savvy Occasions SAYS:

I love this stuff!! What a great favor for so many different events!!

Reply July 23, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Debra SAYS:

Great ideas and really cute examples! Of course I’m sitting in the library now in a 1947 dress (thank somebody for awesome sewing patterns!) though I can’t say my fabric choice was very retro… lol. I like to mix things up with old and new.

Reply July 26, 2008 at 1:23 pm

hostesswithmostesswannabe SAYS:

hi! this is off topic, but i’m looking for advice! i’m married, have two small kids (3 yrs., and 10 months old) and i just finished hosting a birthday party. it went well overall, but my husband made the comment that i was too focused on the work of setting out food, organizing favors, etc… rather than spending time talking to guests. i realize that preparation is key in avoiding such situations — but i am hoping you can post on how to really be a good hostess to guests, especially when you have and they have little ones!!
thanks1