30 Jul

Simply Stated: Candy Buffets

party basics for new nesters

I’m working on a Candyland party design right now, so I’ve been up to my eyeballs in candy lately…which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, right? :-)

Anyways, one of the focal points of the party will be a candy buffet, so I thought it would be fun to discuss this increasingly popular party trend over at Simply Stated today.  Click here to check it out…and if you have any tips or advice to add, please share!

{bottom left photo courtesy of Lyndsey Hamilton Events and Artfool}

22Comments

Tracey SAYS:

Wow- the colors of the candy are fabulous! I am on a sugar high just looking at it- you must have a really hard job, just trying to stay away from temptation!!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 11:06 am

amy SAYS:

Sigh. I think we know how I feel about candy themes.

I’m hoping to throw a mojito theme party next. Or, as I call it, “Tuesday.”

Reply July 30, 2008 at 11:16 am

Emily SAYS:

I just did a candy buffet for my wedding and it was a hit! My colors were pink and green. Instead of trying to limit myself to candy in pink and green colors, I went all out so that I could have a variety. Sometimes the more vibrant, the better, or at least thats what I think. I did a few months worth of research to find the best prices and found that Metro Candy (.com) was one of the best. They have a huge variety and you can buy in bulk if thats what you’re looking for. Ring pops, giant lollipops/unicorn horns, and candy necklaces were a favorite amongst the younger kids, while the adults really seemed to love the rock candy, peanut m&ms, and 39 flavors of jelly beans.

I also had a lot of people comment to me on the random glass jars and how much they loved them. I chose many varieties of apothecary jars, fish bowls, candy dishes, vases, etc. No two jars were alike.

Since this was the favor and people would be taking it home, I made sure to have an appropriate type of container for people to put the candy in. We used colorful chinese takeout boxes and they worked perfectly!

Hope that helps in some way!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Eliana@BYSE SAYS:

Love it!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Melissa SAYS:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what you come up with Jenn!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Tiffany SAYS:

One of my cousins had a candy bar at her wedding as a favor. I thought it was a wonderful idea, especially because most wedding favors are cheesy and get thrown away anyway…but candy! we were thrilled! they only had candy that matched their wedding colors and a few that were traditional greek treats.

Reply July 30, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Cassie SAYS:

I love the candy buffets, especially in the different sizes and shapes of jars!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Jen SAYS:

I found out about these on a wedding website and did it at my 21st. Everyone loved it and still talk about it now months on!

if you can do it – try it. its great!!

Reply July 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Erin @ Blue-Eyed Bride SAYS:

We just did this at our wedding in May and it was such a hit. We did all pink and white and found some really old timey candy that made it feel like an old candy shop, but it was displayed so elegantly with gorgeous little scoops that it looked more beautiful than the flowers!

Reply July 31, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Kim O. SAYS:

Love this, Jenn! What a great idea!:-)

Reply August 1, 2008 at 7:02 am

ericka SAYS:

This is ridiculously…may I say…”sweet”. I love it..it’s so playful, and colorful…like a kid in a candy store!

Reply August 1, 2008 at 10:15 am

Sandra @ Ribbons and Favors SAYS:

I love Candy Buffets. Erin mentioned “it looked more beautiful than the flowers” and with that in mind I have seen tall vases and containers filled with candies used as table centers and it looked fabulous. An empty container for the guests to fill was placed at each guests place setting and they were encouraged to fill them from the table centers. This also did double duty as a conversation starter as people started “sneaking” over to other tables to scoop from their table centers and would get caught. Other guests were very bold about their hunt for the perfect favor filler. Either way you saw people mixing and chatting and laughing. All in all a deliciosly great idea, no matter how you do it.

Reply October 20, 2008 at 9:43 am

Cindia Chapman SAYS:

My future daughter-in-law and I are planning the candy buffet for her September 19, 2009 wedding. We have seen pics online of candy dishes that were fairly large that spell out the word L O V E. Each dish was separate and I believe was made of ceramic. It really set off the mood of the wedding having LOVE candy dishes filled with brown, orange and yellow M&Ms. Any idea where we could find these dishes? You may email me at mclht@aol.com, as well. Thanks so much and God Bless! Cindia

Reply March 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Diana SAYS:

I want to have a candy buffet at my wedding but i’m having trouble finding containers for the candy. HELP! Any ideas thanks

Reply April 6, 2009 at 5:41 am

Ronda SAYS:

try finding glass containers at your local goodwill store. They usually have some at a very low price!

Reply April 8, 2009 at 9:12 am