REAL PARTIES: Modern Garden Birthday

modern garden birthday party

Today’s featured “real party” is ridiculously cute! This contemporary Garden Party theme was created to celebrate the first birthday of Mark & Mandy’s adorable daughter, Elsie – but the look would also translate beautifully into a bridal shower, baby shower, or birthday for older girls as well…

modern garden birthday party

From the get-go, Mandy paid attention to all those little details. How cute are the invitations pictured above?! That’s the birthday girl featured on the invite, wearing one of the flower headbands that were the inspiration for the entire party.

modern garden birthday party

Coordinating paper patterns were used throughout the party – on everything from the lining of the invitation envelope to the party hats, cupcake tower, and loads of butterfly silhouettes that adorned the windows, walls, and flower arrangements. Acrylic discs were also backed with colorful papers to create the cool table motif pictured above and below.

modern garden birthday party

The centerpiece of the table was a 5 tiered cupcake display, made from scratch using cake discs, cake pillars, hot glue and screws, and decorative paper.

modern garden birthday party

modern garden birthday party

Little bottles of bubbles embellished with paper and butterflies made fun favors for little ones…

modern garden birthday party

And here’s a peek at the inspiration that kicked off all this wonderful creativity…those cute flower headbands (from the $1 bins at Target, by the way), and of course, the guest of honor, herself!

modern garden birthday party

Amazing party, Mandy – thanks for sharing!

60 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Modern Garden Birthday”

1. blanca says:

Does Mandy still have all of the party supplies? If so do you think she’ll sell it? Please let me know! Thanks! (:

2. jenn s. says:

Blanca –
    I’m not sure, but you can try contacting her via her blog! Here’s the link:

3. nikki says:

where did you get the little headbands? any ideas what I could give the little boys instead of the headbands??

so, SO, so cute!!!

4. Seastiller says:

Where did you get the pattern for the butterfly cut outs?? I just love the chic simplicity!

5. kathryn says:

Hello! I totally love the theme for your daughters 1st birthday! My daughters theme is going to be gerber daisies….can you please tell me where you purchase your daughters daisy headband she word for the party! It’s so adorabel!

6. samantha says:

I think this is the most darling set-up I’ve ever seen! I’d love to know what you used to hang the butterflies?

7. angela says:

i’m so excited to have found a more “modern” 1st birthday theme!! i have twin girls that are turning one next month and i am so excited to get started on the decorations! could you please tell me the name of the paper “pattern” that was used. i’ve been searching and can’t find it. if discontinued i might be able to find it on ebay but don’t want to search thousands of entries! thanks again for posting!!!

8. gigi says:

can i ask what kind of camera you are using? these pics are so crisp and vibrant. thank you. i love your party ideas…the invitations are sooo cute!

9. Christin says:

I have been looking everywhere to find those adorable flower headbands from Target. I remember them in the stores earlier this year and now that I’m trying to plan my daughter’s 1st b-day party in Oct, I can’t find them. Do you know where I might be able to find them or do you have any extras you would be willing to sell me? Or even a scu # on them and I could have Target see if they could locate any. I think them may get these in every year but I don’t have a clue where they get them from. I was hoping someone was trying to sell some.

10. Christin says:

can you also tell me where you found the pink tin pail you but the flower suckers in? Thanks!

11. Jenny says:

The theme is simply fabulous…I love it and I am so excited to use some of these ideas for my daughter’s first birthday…the uniqueness of these ideas is priceless! What sizes are the acrylic discs that were used and how did you get the paper on them and cut perfectly to fit along the edges?

12. natasha says:

BEAUTIFUL!! Do you have any ideas for a first birthday in the fall for a girl. I’m looking for something simple and modern like your design.

13. Jenny says:

I am using a lot of these ideas for my daughter’s first birthday in a few weeks….I decided who cares if it is fall…I’m using the “girlie” colors! On the scrapping grannies website you can order a pack of paper called “play” it has some REALLY good modern fall color paper for some inspiration!

14. Jill says:

I love this idea and I am using it with a few twists of my own! I am trying to find the acrylic disc that were used, but I am having now luck. I have looked everywhere online. Could use please tell me what width the discs are? Thanks!

15. Claire says:

Wow!! This is the cutest birthday party setup ever. Such a fantastic theme and i love all the details, the butterflies are going to be the inspiration behind my daughters next birthday party. Thanks for sharing and great job!!!!!! It’s a pleasure just to look at the pictures :)

16. KRISTIN says:

I am interested in what kind of food she served at this party, I love this and am planning on copying her theme, but I am caught up on what kind of food to serve. I can’t make it out in the picture.

17. Shanda says:

I love your acrylic table runner. I was wondering what did you use to get the paper to stick to the acrylic? I’m really wanting to do this for my daughters birthday next month, but don’t want to use something that will show.

18. T says:

Yes- I also would like to know what kind of food was served at this party. LOVE LOVE LOVE all the ideas.

19. Martine Cruz says:

it is a great idea. Do you think it would work for a ten year old girl’s birthday party?

20. […] DECOR I love the pretty color scheme of this first birthday party seen at Hostess With the Mostess, which features inexpensive (and easy!) touches like lollipop […]