26 Jun

REAL PARTIES: Modern Garden Birthday

modern garden birthday party

Today’s featured “real party” is ridiculously cute! This contemporary Garden Party theme was created to celebrate the first birthday of Mark & Mandy’s adorable daughter, Elsie – but the look would also translate beautifully into a bridal shower, baby shower, or birthday for older girls as well…

modern garden birthday party

From the get-go, Mandy paid attention to all those little details. How cute are the invitations pictured above?! That’s the birthday girl featured on the invite, wearing one of the flower headbands that were the inspiration for the entire party.

modern garden birthday party

Coordinating paper patterns were used throughout the party – on everything from the lining of the invitation envelope to the party hats, cupcake tower, and loads of butterfly silhouettes that adorned the windows, walls, and flower arrangements. Acrylic discs were also backed with colorful papers to create the cool table motif pictured above and below.

modern garden birthday party

The centerpiece of the table was a 5 tiered cupcake display, made from scratch using cake discs, cake pillars, hot glue and screws, and decorative paper.

modern garden birthday party

modern garden birthday party

Little bottles of bubbles embellished with paper and butterflies made fun favors for little ones…

modern garden birthday party

And here’s a peek at the inspiration that kicked off all this wonderful creativity…those cute flower headbands (from the $1 bins at Target, by the way), and of course, the guest of honor, herself!

modern garden birthday party

Amazing party, Mandy – thanks for sharing!

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Suzanne –

Mandy actually made all the supplies from scrapbook paper! She cut the butterflies, hats, and other details from 12″ sheets of scrapbook paper. The paper is from American Crafts™. You can find it at most scrapbook supply stores – and there’s also a website called Scrappin’ Grannies that carries their entire collection online:

To make your own party hats, cut the paper into a half circle shape like this: http://familycrafts.about.com/library/projects/bltemplpartyht.htm – then roll into a cone and glue the edges together. Staple a thin piece of elastic to both sides… and done!

Also – if you read the comments above – Mandy answered a bunch of questions about the other decorative details and how she made them.

Good luck! :)

Reply January 7, 2009 at 11:02 am

Suzanne SAYS:

hello – i was wondering if u had any ideas for boys who would be attending the party as well – the flower head bands are great for the girls, but i am stumped on what to do for the boys – any good advice?

Reply March 9, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Christy SAYS:

I love the idea too! I was wondering what program you used to create the invitations. I have a picture of my little one to use, but don’t know how to make the picture so that it is just of my child’s outline without anything in the background, like you did.

Reply March 11, 2009 at 9:01 am

nazar SAYS:

very nice blogs and very quality images..thanks

Reply March 13, 2009 at 6:04 am

Janet SAYS:

Eberything looks awesome, especially the invites. Do you know what computer application/ software she used to design the invitations?

Reply March 13, 2009 at 12:28 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Janet –
I’m not 100% sure, but since Mandy is a graphic designer by trade, I’d bet my money on one of the Adobe programs – Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign. You could accomplish that layout with any of those programs…

If you don’t have those design programs though, you can find super cute birthday invitations with a similar style at tinyprints.com and polkadotdesign.com :)

Reply March 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Nikki SAYS:

This is FANTASTIC! I absolutely love this idea. You have a gift. Definitely unique. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!

Reply March 23, 2009 at 9:23 am

Christina SAYS:

Thank you so much for posting this! My baby girl is turning 1 this month and my mother-in-law and I are planning her party together. We were not very impressed with any of the ‘packaged’ themes out there and we decided on doing a garden theme with flowers, butterflies and ladybugs since her birthday is in May. I decided to do a search to see if I could find any cute ideas, and by finding this site I have hit the jackpot!
Thank you again!

Reply May 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

jenn s. SAYS:

You’re very welcome, Christina! Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

Reply May 5, 2009 at 11:36 am

blanca SAYS:

Does Mandy still have all of the party supplies? If so do you think she’ll sell it? Please let me know! Thanks! (:

Reply May 19, 2009 at 8:25 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Blanca –
I’m not sure, but you can try contacting her via her blog! Here’s the link: http://www.markandmandy.com/blog/

Reply May 19, 2009 at 12:15 pm

nikki SAYS:

where did you get the little headbands? any ideas what I could give the little boys instead of the headbands??

so, SO, so cute!!!

Reply May 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Seastiller SAYS:

Where did you get the pattern for the butterfly cut outs?? I just love the chic simplicity!

Reply May 28, 2009 at 8:40 pm

kathryn SAYS:

Hello! I totally love the theme for your daughters 1st birthday! My daughters theme is going to be gerber daisies….can you please tell me where you purchase your daughters daisy headband she word for the party! It’s so adorabel!

Reply June 17, 2009 at 10:07 am

samantha SAYS:

I think this is the most darling set-up I’ve ever seen! I’d love to know what you used to hang the butterflies?

Reply July 21, 2009 at 1:50 pm