Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

An entire book dedicated to desserts that are "Sticky, Chewy, Messy, & Gooey "? Sounds like heaven on paper! Recipes include: Chocolate Caramel-Pecan Soufflé Cake, Cinnamon-Donut Bread Pudding, Double-Crumble Hot Apple Pies, Giant Coconut Cream Puffs…hmmm… did I say heaven on paper or hell for swimsuit season? We all have to indulge once in a while though, right? And what better excuse than a celebration!

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

Pictured above: All-Grown-Up Smores . Pictured below: Banana Bread Pudding with Hot Fudge and Toasted Walnuts and Quicky Sticky Buns , and more…

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth by Jill O’Connor – $15.61 at Amazon.com

19Comments

Joy SAYS:

oh my goodness!!! Drool…

Reply April 15, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Stephanie SAYS:

Joy took my comment….
Drool…..

Reply April 15, 2008 at 4:57 pm

lenette SAYS:

OMG!!!! I have got to have this book!

Reply April 15, 2008 at 4:59 pm

andria SAYS:

I’m getting this book…..

Reply April 15, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Kelly SAYS:

Looks Oh So Yummy!!!
I love S’Mores!!!

Reply April 15, 2008 at 7:28 pm

Tia SAYS:

So I’ve been searching like crazy for ideas for a camping themed birthday party for my 5 year old little boy. I have been everywhere and Im just not coming up with a lot of inspiration for this kinda thing. I would love love love any ideas you could throw my way. I would love some clever ways to dress up the table and just not make it look cheesy! Thanks in advance!
Tia

Reply April 15, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Denise SAYS:

My niece, Phoebe just went to a safari -themed party my friend Patrice threw- which is the same genre as a camping-party. Perhaps you can make some minor changes. It was a huge hit.

To decorate, she took large pieces of green construction paper and made jungle leaves which she hung from the ceiling with fishing line. She also taped them on bookcases etc. It was easy she just made a pattern and gave everyone a pair of scissors.

Next she took large rolls of green paper and made jagged edges ala grass for the tablecloth.

She gave out passports (little booklets stapled together) to each child. – She took digital photos of the kids when they arrived and pasted them on the outside. The passports were used at the stations – the kids would get a stamp at each station. (the kids wore the passports around their necks secured with string)

The stations were arts & crafts or little games. For example at the equipment station there were pre-made binoculars out of toilet paper rolls – the kids decorated. She had a medical hut (an outdoor umbrella and a card table – the adventurers received oral vaccines – jellybeans etc. (on the invitation the kids they could bring a companion on their trip – their own stuffed animal)

At one station they colored a mask she copied.- A game station was”Leap’n lizzards” (pin the tail on the lizzard) And “Escape the Crocodile” – an obstacle course.

For party favors she gave out straw hats, a compass and a flashlight.

She didn’t do this but I’ve wrapped plenty of brides at showers – you could have a bandaging station where the kids work in teams and race to see who can wrap up another kid in “bandages” or wrap up a kids arm in a cast (Costco -toilet paper)

.Good Luck – I hope this helps!

Reply April 15, 2008 at 11:02 pm

April SAYS:

I have this book and I LOVE it! It really is worth the money spent to buy the book!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 5:16 am

Cherie B SAYS:

Let me just tell you this is my favorite cookbook right now. I keep volunteering to make desserts for everything. The White Trash Panini is as gooey as they get but you must use chunky peanut butter. The smooth was good but the chunky was yummy ! :-)
Try the Wafer Thin Mint Sundaes and the Black Bottom Cupcakes. Those were all after the cover recipes with spoons I freehanded! Stop reading, go buy this cookbook and start baking!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 5:44 am

Ricki SAYS:

Yum!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 6:08 am

Jenn S. SAYS:

Hi Tia –
4″ colored pencil bundles that look like twigs and candleholders that look like mini tree stumps (and are made from recycled wood) would be cute for a camping-themed table!. Both are available at EstiloWedding.com

Scrapbook paper is another easy way to bring a specific them into a tablescape – try looking for camping-themed paper to use as placemats – and you can also use coordinating scrapbook embellishments such as stickers and chipboard cutouts to make mini-signs for the table or food area, decorate drinkware, etc. Here’s an example.

It might also be fun to make some of the marshmallow animal favors pictured one of the posts on Monday (April 14) – to play on the whole camping/marshmallows idea.

Another idea – for your table centerpiece, fill a mini-cooler with drinks, mini bags of chips, granola bars, and other types of camping food.

And just throwing more stuff out that might be cute – mini plastic trees, creating a campfire-centerpiece out of twigs and an LED candle (fake candle light), hand-held lanterns for the centerpiece, mini flashlights for party favors, etc.

Hope that helps!

And many thanks to Denise for sharing all those great ideas!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 7:52 am

Michi SAYS:

Mmmmmmmmm! I just ordered it. =)

Reply April 16, 2008 at 8:09 am

People St. Clair SAYS:

I have this book and it is soooo fabulously delicious. It is definitely a must have.

Reply April 16, 2008 at 8:24 am

Ally SAYS:

oh, yum! Another baking book for my shelf!

Other books to try include “Rosie’s Bakery Chocolate-Packed, Jam-Filled, Butter-Rich, No-Holds-Barred Cookie Book” – my all time favorite. They still sell used copies on Amazon and chapters!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 8:27 am

Rachelle SAYS:

Tia-
An idea for a centerpeice is to cover your table with a red and white checkered tablecloth, fill a plate with smores and use ant stickers to make a trail over the table and over the smores. I’ve seen this done before at a “camp” themed party and it was a huge hit.
Also, use mason jars, gummy worms, serve hot dogs and hamburgers….
Hope this helps! Great idea for a kids birthday!

Reply April 16, 2008 at 9:03 am