Cocktails / Sweets 04.24.08

Margarita Ice Pops

yellow party ideas

This unique twist on the frozen margarita sounds like such a fun idea for Cinco de Mayo or any casual summer get-together! The recipe from Bon Appétite couldn’t be any easier either: you basically take lime flavored ice pops or fruit bars, pour a mixture of tequila and lime juice over them, then lightly dip 1 edge of the pop into kosher salt.

Another approach could be to first mix up your own margaritas then freeze them into pops and dip in salt. Here’s a great recipe for this version from Emeril Lagassi {via Food Network}:

Margarita Popsicles

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons tequila
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
Kosher salt, for garnish

Special Equipment:
4 small cups (recommended: Dixie), 4 popsicle sticks

Combine sugar, lime juice, water, lemon juice and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool transfer to a blender with tequila, orange liqueur, and lime wedge and process until smooth. Pour into the cups and cover the top of each cup with foil. Place the popsicle stick in center of cup (down through foil, which will hold it in place). Freeze until hard, preferably overnight. Remove from freezer and run cup under warm water to loosen popsicle. Garnish with kosher salt and serve. Enjoy!

{top image from Bon Appétite via}

60 responses to “Margarita Ice Pops”

1. greghousesgf says:

i tried to make ice cream with amaretto and kahlua in it and it would not freeze. made a nice grown up slurpee tho.

2. Antiques says:

those look fantastic.

3. Great idea! Just right for those hot summer nights!

4. boyarul says:

That’s Great !!!
    I like the idea.

5. rprebel says:

I made up a batch of something similar back in the late ’90s…added it to my drink recipe book as ‘Margarita Ice’. The only big difference is I used simple syrup instead of sugar and water. Real simple syrup, none of that bottled stuff, is the magic ingredient in half of all drinks. You just have to make it yourself, and make it right. Anyway, kudos on the Grand Marnier. No margarita is complete without it. Oh, and I used a LOT more alcohol. It still got nice and slushy…about the consistency of a well made frozen margarita you’d get out of a slushee machine at the bar. Only difference…this ain’t watered down. At all. Beware, this drink ended up turning my bathroom wall red (it was strawberry, and one person couldn’t make it to the toilet in time). Deceptively strong.

6. ghirarda says:

Noooooooooooooo. I can’t believe!!!!

7. Friday Favorites | Indulgences says:

[…] Margarita Ice Pops from Hostess With the Mostess sound amazing, and perfect for the hot weekend ahead of […]

8. […] perfect poolside addition to a summer […]

9. Ellie says:

Wow, these look delicious, I can’t wait to try them! I hope you don’t mind if I share this on my blog, I Stumbled on your site and I am sure you have loads more great ideas!

10. Aaron says:

Nice Blog ;)

11. luc says:

i love margaritas.. but hey cinco de mayo is not a real celebration here in méxico, its not something to be proud of

12. Benoy says:

Seems simple and elegant and of course should be fun. will give it a try… thanks for the tips…

13. LISA says:

14. Tiffany says:

This is phenomenal we are having a luau out for my grandmother in a few weeks and my mom and aunts will absolutely LOVE these. Thanks so much for putting this on Stumble!

15. These look almost too good to even eat. With summer ending next week I better get a move on with making them =)

16. What a great idea! Anything that involes ice, booze and a cool idea gets my vote! Lovely pic!

17. Cher says:

My favorite drink on a stick! Great for 4th of July too!
    I would like to include this on my website if you don’t mind, giving you credit of course.

18. Sarah says:

Oh, I would love to have these on a hot summer day! What a wonderful idea!

19. Gourmet Mama says:

What a great idea! I`m going to try the simple version next time I have a girls afternoon. We live in Guatemala, so it`s ALWAYS the right temperature for a frozen adult treat. :)

20. Beverly says:

These look and sound awesome! I will bookmark this recipe for summer use!