Cocktails / Sweets 04.24.08

Margarita Ice Pops

yellow party ideas

This unique twist on the frozen margarita sounds like such a fun idea for Cinco de Mayo or any casual summer get-together! The recipe from Bon Appétite couldn’t be any easier either: you basically take lime flavored ice pops or fruit bars, pour a mixture of tequila and lime juice over them, then lightly dip 1 edge of the pop into kosher salt.

Another approach could be to first mix up your own margaritas then freeze them into pops and dip in salt. Here’s a great recipe for this version from Emeril Lagassi {via Food Network}:

Margarita Popsicles

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons tequila
2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
Kosher salt, for garnish

Special Equipment:
4 small cups (recommended: Dixie), 4 popsicle sticks

Combine sugar, lime juice, water, lemon juice and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool transfer to a blender with tequila, orange liqueur, and lime wedge and process until smooth. Pour into the cups and cover the top of each cup with foil. Place the popsicle stick in center of cup (down through foil, which will hold it in place). Freeze until hard, preferably overnight. Remove from freezer and run cup under warm water to loosen popsicle. Garnish with kosher salt and serve. Enjoy!

{top image from Bon Appétite via}

60 responses to “Margarita Ice Pops”

1. Kelly says:

What a fun idea for summer!

2. SuzyQ says:

OH this is marvelous! My mouth is already watering – I love margaritas and this is a fun way to serve them (and it saves me from having to buy more party cups!)

3. Lacey W. says:

Oh man… it’s only noon and I’m ready for a margarita! It’s not SO bad if it’s in popsicle form… right?

4. SuzyQ says:

I hope you don’t mind that I shared your idea on my blog (let me know if you are opposed and I can remove it) it is just too good of an idea not to pass along to my readers as well. :) But let me know because I didn’t ask first like I should have.

5. Jenn says:

HI SuzyQ –
    I don’t mind at all! I love it when other bloggers find things interesting enough to pass along! :)

6. SuzyQ says:

Great! Thank you! All your posts are great – when I need a good party idea your blog is where I go!

7. Ashley says:

Oh wow! My favorite drink made into a popsicle…sounds pretty fantastic. Thanks for the delicious ideas!

8. In the LuSHHus Loop - The Best Blog and Internet Posts From The Week | living a LuSHHus life | Luxury, Style, Happiness, Health says:

[…] aren’t many things I like more than a margarita, so I think the idea for margarita popsicles is fantastic.  If you think so too, check out the two versions Hostess with the Mostess […]

9. Kelly says:

what a great idea! I just bought popsicle molds yesterday. This is obviously high on my agenda of things to use them for.

10. Tracey says:

I wished i had looked sooner- we hosted a Mexican party on Friday that was purchased through our school auction- the Margarita popsicles would have been great! Definitely using them for next year’s party!

11. Snappy Casual Gifts says:

I love the margarita pops. I’m planning a cindo de Mayo party and those would be great for a little something different.

12. […] de Margaritas … a receita, para quem quiser experimentar =D se for bom, […]

13. Marisa says:

hmmm…Perfect to enjoy in the hot summer days.

14. Tommy says:

Needs a little more booze.

15. […] this fun recipe straight from HWTM!  Love her!  Enjoy this tasty […]

16. Wow, these are great! What a fantastic idea… You’ve really got my creative juices flowing, I’m thinking pina colada or mojito pops would also be delicious! :)

17. this is officially happening at my next barbecue, along with mojito and vodka lemonade. brilliance.

18. nona me says:

I thought alcohol wouldn’t freeze?

19. Jenn says:

I actually thought the same thing about alcohol not freezing when I first saw this idea, but I think it still works here because the alcohol is in such small amounts in the Emeril recipe, and for the Bon Apetite version you just pour tequila over already-frozen bars…can’t get much easier than that, right? ;)

20. Francesca says:

OMG, those look so awesome, I want one right now!! They would also be great on a hot day at the beach with friends or a romantic evening with a significant other ;)