10 Jan

REAL PARTIES: whimsical garden baby shower

whimsical garden baby shower I designed a baby shower for some friends a few months that was particularly special because of the circumstances… The couple had been trying to get pregnant for several years without success, so when it finally happened for them and they found out a little girl was on the way – mom-to-be described the feeling as somewhat "magical ".

She wanted the shower to reflect that kind of feeling – so I came up with this "Whimsical Garden " theme that incorporates all sorts of girlie things like butterflies, rhinestones, metallic vases, and glittery details – as well as unusual organics like oversize moss balls, snapdragons, mini orchids, and stargazer lilies. For details on how to recreate this theme, read on…

Party Decor:

whimsical garden baby shower whimsical garden baby shower *Photos by Anne Geddes (taken from greeting cards & calendars) are displayed in frames decorated with ribbon, rhinestones and butterflies.
*The "b-a-b-y" sign was created from glittered scrapbooking alphabet letters and simple clip frames.
*Pretty Chinese Peony paper plates from Plum Party were used for the buffet. Matching Coral Peony dessert plates were used for the cake.
* Different styles of butterflies (from craft & floral supply stores) hang from trees and adorn flower arrangements

Table Centerpieces (2 styles)

whimsical garden baby shower *Centerpiece #1: Roses, artifical lucy balls , mini butterflies, and glittered curly ting ting are displayed in low metallic flower pots. Pots are adorned with a band of ribbon and embellished with pacifiers on one side and Chinese Peony Placecards featuring baby-related words on the other. Tip: Fill the bottom half of the vase with vase gems or floral foam to help the rose stems stand upright.

*Centerpiece #2: Same base as above, but utilizing a taller version of the vase. An oversize moss ball sits at the top with glittered curly ting ting peeking out the sides.

Favors and Details:

whimsical garden baby shower
*Party favors: chocolate & carmel Moose Munch Mix fills pretty favor boxes adorned with ribbon, matching tags , and glittery alphabet stickers. (favors were arranged in order of the alphabet) Tip: To create a "stair-stepped" display for your party favors, display them on cabinet shelf organizers.
* Tissue Poms from Martha Stewart Crafts adorned trees and bushes
*Rose petals floated in the spa

More details {not pictured}:
*Brightly-colored yoga mats purchased for only $7.99 each at Ross were used as surfaces for the food & beverage tables. These are especially great for the beverage area because the spongy surface makes it easy to clean up spills, and you’re not left with stains or wet spots on your tablecloth.
*Arrange pink and orange bottled drinks on multi-level shelf organizers for a pretty drink display
*Sprinkle rose petals on the cake/dessert table and in the bathtub of the guest bathroom
* Spray tissue poms with adhesive silver glitter spray to make them sparkle!

Special Note: Mike and Michelle’s baby girl arrived healthy and happy in December :)

Comments 49

jenn s.

POSTED BY

Founder & Creative Director see full profile

49Comments

Valerie SAYS:

This is truly darling!

January 10, 2008 at 3:49 pm

acaligurl SAYS:

hey! i just picked up buckets of moose munch at macys. after xmas 70% off!!!!

January 10, 2008 at 5:01 pm

sheri SAYS:

This shower looks fantastic! I can’t believe you used yoga mats as table coverings. I never ever would’ve put that together, but I can see how it works! Love the butterflies :)

January 10, 2008 at 6:09 pm

kawaii crafter SAYS:

what a lovely baby shower you desinged

your site is inspirational and a lot of fun

regards,
jessica

January 12, 2008 at 10:26 am

[email protected] SAYS:

I can always count on being inspired! The centerpieces are amazing!

January 14, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Mansi Desai SAYS:

that sure would fill my life with amazing colors:)

January 15, 2008 at 2:43 pm

B_More BAP Life SAYS:

Totally Cute!

March 28, 2008 at 10:22 am

Michelle M SAYS:

This is really cute. I wanted to know where the flower pots were purchased?

July 9, 2008 at 9:57 am

Jenn SAYS:

Hi Michelle –

The post were purchased at a flower supply shop in San Diego. I don’t see them in the selection on their ecommerce website – but you might be able to call and see if you can order them over the phone!

Here’s the link to their website!

July 9, 2008 at 10:09 am

Vanessa SAYS:

These centerpieces are just adorable!! We’ve used them with different vases and colors.. and they’ve always turned out perfect!!

August 31, 2008 at 10:58 am

Astrid SAYS:

I really love this idea, I think it is great. I’m currently trying to order all the items you have listed, to try to recreate this theme for my sister’s baby shower. I just would like to know where I can get the small glittery green flower pots next to the picture frame.

Thanks,

April 3, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Chapel SAYS:

yes! i would like to know where you got those sparkly green vases as well! thanks!

April 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm

jenn s. SAYS:

Astrid & Chapel –
I got the sparkly green vases at a local flower supply shop in San Diego, but it was over a year ago and I don’t see them on their website anymore… I hate it when that happens!

You could probably achieve a similar effect by covering or spraying small vases with craft glue and rolling them in craft glitter though.

Also try searching for “beaded” vases or and “glitter” vases.

Good luck!
Jenn :)

April 7, 2009 at 6:36 am

Astrid SAYS:

Thanks for your response.
I was also wondering if the baby girl dress hanging from the tree, is it a real one? What would you recommend I do in order to get the same look? Like I mentioned before, I truly love this baby shower idea, it is perfect for my sister.
Thanks,

April 7, 2009 at 7:33 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Yep – it’s just a real dress! $9.99 at Target :)

I actually just saw a bunch of cute baby girl summer dresses there for $6.99 though!

April 7, 2009 at 8:07 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Astrid –
One more thing – since you think your sister would really like this look, you might also be able to get some ideas from the “Enchanted Fairy” 1st birthday party that I threw for this same little girl. Her mom loved the “whimsical/enchanted” look too, so the 2 parties had a similar feel, and honestly you could tailor either one of them to a baby shower :)

Here are some links to that party:

(the full album is accessible from this link)

April 7, 2009 at 8:11 am

Astrid SAYS:

Thank you so much…I will let you know if I was able to put it all together. I truly hope my sister likes it.

April 7, 2009 at 8:25 am

Liz SAYS:

oooh where did you get those vases for the centerpieces?? I LOVEEE this theme! It is ADORABLE!!

April 13, 2009 at 7:12 am

jenn s. SAYS:

Hi Liz –
The vases are from a flower supply shop in San Diego, but unfortunately I don’t see them offered in their ecommerce store (aside from in silver and gold). Here’s the link just in case:

A lot of people have asked about the vases so I have a few alternate ideas to achieving a similar look in the comment thread above… good luck!

April 13, 2009 at 7:33 am

Nikki SAYS:

Hi,

I was wondering what invitation you used? thank you

May 13, 2009 at 11:02 am
Apologies, commenting is now disabled for this post.