REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Mod Bridal Shower

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties When the first “Real-Life Parties” post went up a few weeks ago, HWTM reader Karen wrote in with a tip about an awesome bridal shower she just saw that “could be your next “Real-Life” party!” Well, Karen – you were right! I knew it the second I laid eyes on the amazing pictures from photographer Jennifer Skog ‘s gorgeous bridal shower . First I had to make sure I was actually looking at pictures of a bridal shower and not a wedding reception – but lo and behold it was a shower – and it looks like Jennifer just has some VERY talented loved ones! Want some proof? Just check out these pics!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties The theme of Jennifer’s September wedding will be “Old World Ballroom meets Modern Bling” (how great is that theme?! ) – with a color palette of classic black and white. Throw in that Jen’s favorite color is green – and it’s suddenly clear where the inspiration for this vintage-modern / black, white & lime green shower theme came from :)

Tables were covered in green and then adorned with a beautiful damask-patterned fabric runner and vases of white hydrangeas. Fantastic black chivari chairs really take this table setting the top! Custom menus with a matching vintage-mod pattern sat atop square black plates, and black napkins were rolled and tied with sheer green ribbon. Photos of Jen and her fiance were displayed in pretty frames along a side table. In the corner of the room was a little blueberry mojito bar complete with a full-service bartender (a.k.a. “the MOH’s husband!”). Hand-made drink umbrellas created from matching patterened paper and wooden skewers made the mojitos extra sweet!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties A spread of decadent finger foods included these mini-cups of watermelon soup (above). According to Jen this cold soup was “amazing”…and the presentation looks pretty amazing too! Black & green custom cookies pulled double-duty as cute decór and take-home shower favors for guests.

How cute is the black & white apron and rubber glove set that Jen’s decked out in below? Way too cute to actually do any cleaning in, right?! And talk about paying attention to detail – the girls even decorated the binding on the activity notepads to match the shower theme!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties Last but not least, the guests even came dressed for the theme – making these group shots extra-lovely! Sounds like a great time was had by all – kudos to the hostesses and congrats to the bride-to-be!

As a side note, this theme would also be fantastic for a rehearsal dinner!
{photos by Jennifer Skog Photography }

56 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Mod Bridal Shower”

1. yvonne says:

this shower is GORGEOUS!! I’m so impressed!!

2. ashlynn says:

LOVE IT!!!!

3. greengelato says:

seriously very amazing.

by the way jenn, i have you think for totally pumping up my readership. i think i get at least 20 viewers a day coming from your site!

4. Kelly Mahoney says:

Wow! Amazing execution of a sophisticated theme.

5. laurie says:

Love the look of the black and white damask with the bright green! Nice punch of color.

6. Biddy says:

this is so much like the shower i’m throwing in a couple of weeks! where oh where is the runner from!?

7. Janea says:

Wow! This is stunning,soooooo goregous .She has great girls in her life. I also check out her website ,and boy is she talented photographer, the photos are phenomenal I could totally feel their emotions,your amazing girl! I wish I found you when I got married six years ago:)
    Btw Jenn I been emailing all my girls your website this is one my my favorite blogs!!!!!

~Janea~

8. People St.Clair says:

i have been in love with this color scheme for a minute and this shower is simply wonderful. Thanks for the real-life parties they are inspiring.

9. Missy says:

Glorious! I will definately be checking back here to get ideas for my next party!
    missy

10. Anonymous says:

Wow amazing! Do you know where she got the tablecloth and damask runner from?

11. hiphostess says:

Hi Biddy – I emailed Jen about the runner and it was hand-made! How are your sewing skills? ;)

Janea – thanks so much for your comment and for helping to spread the word! much appreciated :)

• Sandra says:

I’m searching for these damask runners high and low, where can I buy the fabric, can’t find them any where………please help.

Sandra

12. Anonymous says:

Where is that to die for b&w apron from that she’s wearing?

13. Anonymous says:

Here’s some links for the material.

Depending on the size of the fabric, you can just cut the fabric along the long length to make some table runners.

14. hiphostess says:

Hi Everyone – here’s a little more info on where some of the items in these images are from:

Table linens – Stuart Rentals in Milpitas
    Table Runners – Hand Made by BM’s mom
    Cookies – Cookies by Design in Clayton
    BW Gloves – Sur la Table

**I’m trying to see where the apron is from – will keep you posted when I have the info!

15. Delaney Gates says:

Oh my goodness, how AMAZING!!!! Thank you soooo much for posting those!!! Such inspiration there!

16. Vigilante says:

amazing! Soo want to do this for my shower…

17. Huckleberry Karen says:

Yeah!! I’m so happy to see you posted Jen’s Shower! The table cloth fabric is by designer Michael Miller. You can find his fabrics online, most quilt/fabric stores and on ebay. The pattern is called “Candy Damask” and come in all sorts of color combos. I’m planning to make some for my home!

Okay – my goal is take throw a party so fabulous that you’ll post them ob your blog :)

18. Gypsy Purple says:

This is absolutely stunning…love your blog!!!!!

19. Jen says:

Everything about this shower and these photos are stunning! Thanks for all of your finds! I love your blog!

20. Anonymous says:

Thanks hiphostess and Huckleberry Karen for letting me know where I can find those linens!

21. Shelly says:

I love the colors. The guests all dressed in black and white is a great idea for a color themed party although I would have loved to see some of the girls sporting that delicious spring green on a barrette, or a scarf, or a bracelet….or even on some high heels.

22. Anonymous says:

This looks like SUCH a gorgeous shower! Fantastic colours, theme, etc. :)

Cheers,
    Crissy

23. Anonymous says:

Where did they purchase the paper for the custom menu?

Betrice

24. hiphostess says:

Hi anon –

I’m not sure, I’ll keep you posted if I can get the info!

25. Jennifer Skog says:

Hello everyone! I’ve had a gazillion inquiries about the suppliers of this event, so here’s all the info:

Rentals (linens, chairs, dishware)
    Stuart Rentals, Milpitas

Damask Table Runners
    Hand-made by my MOH’s mom

Polka Dot Rubber Gloves
    Sir La Table

Damask Apron (I actually got 2 different ones)

Paper for Umbrellas
    Various Scrapbooking Stores in East Bay

Cookie Favors
    Cookies by Design in Clayton

Amazing Photography :)
    Jennifer ‘Skog as in Vogue’

Sexy Bartender
    Sorry Ladies… He’s taken :)

26. Anonymous says:

I’m getting married next November. What do you ladies think about something similar for a reception?

27. hiphostess says:

anon-
    I think this would be a fantastic theme for a reception! In fact, a very close friend of mine did something similar for her reception this past June. I did a guest post on the wedding on the Blue Orchid Designs blog last month. Here’s a link if you want to check it out :)

28. Anonymous says:

Thanks so much! The photos of Jen’s wedding look amazing and give me much more confidence in my decision.

29. Jennifer Skog says:

Hi Ladies! I have had MANY requests about the damask print and I’m not sure where they ended up getting it from, however I do know that it was specially ordered through an interior design company. I would think it should be easy for any interiors company to get as I have an apron and photo bag with the same exact print. I hope that helps!

Jennifer Skog

{SKOG AS IN VOGUE}

30. retha says:

Your shower is absolutely beautiful.I just love the presence of a bold contrast. I am using a Dk.Brown and White Zebra print over a pinkish purple backgroud.

31. Tiffany says:

i absolutely love it! everything looks awesome

32. Crissy says:

Here’s a link to an invitation I made using a damask motif/pattern:

The possibilities using damask patterns are endless!

Cheers,
    Crissy

33. Lynne Hanks says:

Gorgeous!!! It’s perfect for a formal bridal shower. I love the green twist:)

34. Mallory says:

First of all, I just stumbled across this blog, and it’s definitely my new favorite!!! I have been looking FOREVER for square black plates JUST like the ones used but haven’t had any luck. Any chance you can tell me where they’re from? Thank you, and I can’t wait to explore more of this amazing blog :)

35. jenn s. says:

Hi Mallory –
    Thanks so much for the sweet comment!

Re: dishes – the plates were actually rented…so unfortunately I don’t have any purchasing info for you. You’d think that contemporary square black plates would be relatively easy to find…but my google search didn’t result in anything spectacular either…sigh. If I stumble on some in the near future I’ll be sure to let you know!

Cheers,
    Jenn

36. Jessee says:

Great colors and ideas, very nice!

37. Yesenia says:

I have been looking for vintage prints like this for my wedding reception. I cannot find linens anywhere like this. Can you fill me in :)???

38. jennifer says:

HI, can you tell me where i might find that fabric runner! This is perfect for my sisters shower, she will love it. It is a perfect theme
    thanks
    jennifer

39. jenn s. says:

Yesenia & Jennifer –
    The damask table runners were custom-made, but here’s some info on the fabric that’s copy/pasted from an earlier comment:
    “…The table cloth fabric is by designer Michael Miller. You can find his fabrics online, most quilt/fabric stores and on ebay. The pattern is called “Candy Damask” and come in all sorts of color combos.”

And here’s a link to where you can find more damask fabrics on ebay:

Hope that helps!

Jenn

40. […] October 22, 2008 by tealengthtulle …okay. That’s insanely cheesy. But if you knew how mad i was for a white-and-black-damask theme with vivid green accents, you would totally understand. Seriously, we almost didn’t find our dream venue because i was SO stuck on having damask + green as my wedding colors. I was obsessed, people. And this is the picture that started it all (courtesy Hostess with the Mostess): […]