REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Mod Bridal Shower

Quick Jump To » Vendor Credits | Comments

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties When the first “Real-Life Parties” post went up a few weeks ago, HWTM reader Karen wrote in with a tip about an awesome bridal shower she just saw that “could be your next “Real-Life” party!” Well, Karen – you were right! I knew it the second I laid eyes on the amazing pictures from photographer Jennifer Skog ‘s gorgeous bridal shower . First I had to make sure I was actually looking at pictures of a bridal shower and not a wedding reception – but lo and behold it was a shower – and it looks like Jennifer just has some VERY talented loved ones! Want some proof? Just check out these pics!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties The theme of Jennifer’s September wedding will be “Old World Ballroom meets Modern Bling” (how great is that theme?! ) – with a color palette of classic black and white. Throw in that Jen’s favorite color is green – and it’s suddenly clear where the inspiration for this vintage-modern / black, white & lime green shower theme came from :)

Tables were covered in green and then adorned with a beautiful damask-patterned fabric runner and vases of white hydrangeas. Fantastic black chivari chairs really take this table setting the top! Custom menus with a matching vintage-mod pattern sat atop square black plates, and black napkins were rolled and tied with sheer green ribbon. Photos of Jen and her fiance were displayed in pretty frames along a side table. In the corner of the room was a little blueberry mojito bar complete with a full-service bartender (a.k.a. “the MOH’s husband!”). Hand-made drink umbrellas created from matching patterened paper and wooden skewers made the mojitos extra sweet!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties A spread of decadent finger foods included these mini-cups of watermelon soup (above). According to Jen this cold soup was “amazing”…and the presentation looks pretty amazing too! Black & green custom cookies pulled double-duty as cute decór and take-home shower favors for guests.

How cute is the black & white apron and rubber glove set that Jen’s decked out in below? Way too cute to actually do any cleaning in, right?! And talk about paying attention to detail – the girls even decorated the binding on the activity notepads to match the shower theme!

Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties Hostess with the Mostess: Real-Life Parties Last but not least, the guests even came dressed for the theme – making these group shots extra-lovely! Sounds like a great time was had by all – kudos to the hostesses and congrats to the bride-to-be!

As a side note, this theme would also be fantastic for a rehearsal dinner!

56 responses to “REAL PARTIES: Vintage-Mod Bridal Shower”

1. yvonne says:

this shower is GORGEOUS!! I’m so impressed!!

2. ashlynn says:

LOVE IT!!!!

3. greengelato says:

seriously very amazing.

by the way jenn, i have you think for totally pumping up my readership. i think i get at least 20 viewers a day coming from your site!

4. Kelly Mahoney says:

Wow! Amazing execution of a sophisticated theme.

5. laurie says:

Love the look of the black and white damask with the bright green! Nice punch of color.

6. Biddy says:

this is so much like the shower i’m throwing in a couple of weeks! where oh where is the runner from!?

7. Janea says:

Wow! This is stunning,soooooo goregous .She has great girls in her life. I also check out her website ,and boy is she talented photographer, the photos are phenomenal I could totally feel their emotions,your amazing girl! I wish I found you when I got married six years ago:)
    Btw Jenn I been emailing all my girls your website this is one my my favorite blogs!!!!!

~Janea~

8. People St.Clair says:

i have been in love with this color scheme for a minute and this shower is simply wonderful. Thanks for the real-life parties they are inspiring.

9. Missy says:

Glorious! I will definately be checking back here to get ideas for my next party!
    missy

10. Anonymous says:

Wow amazing! Do you know where she got the tablecloth and damask runner from?

11. hiphostess says:

Hi Biddy – I emailed Jen about the runner and it was hand-made! How are your sewing skills? ;)

Janea – thanks so much for your comment and for helping to spread the word! much appreciated :)

• Sandra says:

I’m searching for these damask runners high and low, where can I buy the fabric, can’t find them any where………please help.

Sandra

12. Anonymous says:

Where is that to die for b&w apron from that she’s wearing?

13. Anonymous says:

Here’s some links for the material.

Depending on the size of the fabric, you can just cut the fabric along the long length to make some table runners.

14. hiphostess says:

Hi Everyone – here’s a little more info on where some of the items in these images are from:

Table linens – Stuart Rentals in Milpitas
    Table Runners – Hand Made by BM’s mom
    Cookies – Cookies by Design in Clayton
    BW Gloves – Sur la Table

**I’m trying to see where the apron is from – will keep you posted when I have the info!

15. Delaney Gates says:

Oh my goodness, how AMAZING!!!! Thank you soooo much for posting those!!! Such inspiration there!

16. Vigilante says:

amazing! Soo want to do this for my shower…

17. Huckleberry Karen says:

Yeah!! I’m so happy to see you posted Jen’s Shower! The table cloth fabric is by designer Michael Miller. You can find his fabrics online, most quilt/fabric stores and on ebay. The pattern is called “Candy Damask” and come in all sorts of color combos. I’m planning to make some for my home!

Okay – my goal is take throw a party so fabulous that you’ll post them ob your blog :)

18. Gypsy Purple says:

This is absolutely stunning…love your blog!!!!!

19. Jen says:

Everything about this shower and these photos are stunning! Thanks for all of your finds! I love your blog!

20. Anonymous says:

Thanks hiphostess and Huckleberry Karen for letting me know where I can find those linens!

21. Shelly says:

I love the colors. The guests all dressed in black and white is a great idea for a color themed party although I would have loved to see some of the girls sporting that delicious spring green on a barrette, or a scarf, or a bracelet….or even on some high heels.

22. Anonymous says:

This looks like SUCH a gorgeous shower! Fantastic colours, theme, etc. :)

Cheers,
    Crissy

23. Anonymous says:

Where did they purchase the paper for the custom menu?

Betrice

24. hiphostess says:

Hi anon –

I’m not sure, I’ll keep you posted if I can get the info!

25. Jennifer Skog says:

Hello everyone! I’ve had a gazillion inquiries about the suppliers of this event, so here’s all the info:

Rentals (linens, chairs, dishware)
    Stuart Rentals, Milpitas

Damask Table Runners
    Hand-made by my MOH’s mom

Polka Dot Rubber Gloves
    Sir La Table

Damask Apron (I actually got 2 different ones)

Paper for Umbrellas
    Various Scrapbooking Stores in East Bay

Cookie Favors
    Cookies by Design in Clayton

Amazing Photography :)
    Jennifer ‘Skog as in Vogue’

Sexy Bartender
    Sorry Ladies… He’s taken :)

26. Anonymous says:

I’m getting married next November. What do you ladies think about something similar for a reception?

27. hiphostess says:

anon-
    I think this would be a fantastic theme for a reception! In fact, a very close friend of mine did something similar for her reception this past June. I did a guest post on the wedding on the Blue Orchid Designs blog last month. Here’s a link if you want to check it out :)

28. Anonymous says:

Thanks so much! The photos of Jen’s wedding look amazing and give me much more confidence in my decision.

29. Jennifer Skog says:

Hi Ladies! I have had MANY requests about the damask print and I’m not sure where they ended up getting it from, however I do know that it was specially ordered through an interior design company. I would think it should be easy for any interiors company to get as I have an apron and photo bag with the same exact print. I hope that helps!

Jennifer Skog

{SKOG AS IN VOGUE}

30. retha says:

Your shower is absolutely beautiful.I just love the presence of a bold contrast. I am using a Dk.Brown and White Zebra print over a pinkish purple backgroud.

31. Tiffany says:

i absolutely love it! everything looks awesome

32. Crissy says:

Here’s a link to an invitation I made using a damask motif/pattern:

The possibilities using damask patterns are endless!

Cheers,
    Crissy

33. Lynne Hanks says:

Gorgeous!!! It’s perfect for a formal bridal shower. I love the green twist:)

34. Mallory says:

First of all, I just stumbled across this blog, and it’s definitely my new favorite!!! I have been looking FOREVER for square black plates JUST like the ones used but haven’t had any luck. Any chance you can tell me where they’re from? Thank you, and I can’t wait to explore more of this amazing blog :)

35. jenn s. says:

Hi Mallory –
    Thanks so much for the sweet comment!

Re: dishes – the plates were actually rented…so unfortunately I don’t have any purchasing info for you. You’d think that contemporary square black plates would be relatively easy to find…but my google search didn’t result in anything spectacular either…sigh. If I stumble on some in the near future I’ll be sure to let you know!

Cheers,
    Jenn

36. Jessee says:

Great colors and ideas, very nice!

37. Yesenia says:

I have been looking for vintage prints like this for my wedding reception. I cannot find linens anywhere like this. Can you fill me in :)???

38. jennifer says:

HI, can you tell me where i might find that fabric runner! This is perfect for my sisters shower, she will love it. It is a perfect theme
    thanks
    jennifer

39. jenn s. says:

Yesenia & Jennifer –
    The damask table runners were custom-made, but here’s some info on the fabric that’s copy/pasted from an earlier comment:
    “…The table cloth fabric is by designer Michael Miller. You can find his fabrics online, most quilt/fabric stores and on ebay. The pattern is called “Candy Damask” and come in all sorts of color combos.”

And here’s a link to where you can find more damask fabrics on ebay:

Hope that helps!

Jenn

40. […] October 22, 2008 by tealengthtulle …okay. That’s insanely cheesy. But if you knew how mad i was for a white-and-black-damask theme with vivid green accents, you would totally understand. Seriously, we almost didn’t find our dream venue because i was SO stuck on having damask + green as my wedding colors. I was obsessed, people. And this is the picture that started it all (courtesy Hostess with the Mostess): […]

41. juliett says:

I love the colors!!! everything looks so nice.. Did you have any fun ideas for games, my sister is getting married and I love your ideas and was wondering if you could help me with some game ideas.

42. Christen says:

I love the green, black and white! It is so classy! I will probably use this in my wedding…eventually…I still have a few years! Nicely done!

43. I am getting ready to throw a bridal shower for my sister in law…thanks for the tips. We will see how it turns out. This is beautiful.

44. Jenica says:

Would you be interested in selling the Damask table runners?

45. susanne says:

This is beautiful! Where can I find the recipe for the watermelon soup?

46. […] seen on it. It’s not just for weddings either, but all types of parties. Especially this damask/vintage inspired bridal shower. It is no surprise to me that it was a photographer’s […]

47. Kristin says:

Hi, This is a great idea for a shower? What did the invites look like and what was the wording?

48. Dee says:

Love this theme so much! But going crazy trying to find the fabric for the table runners. Also, what was the exact color of the green table cloth? I need 6 table runners before Sept., anyone have them made and ready for sale?

49. Dee says:

Love, love, love this theme. I am having a hard time finding the fabric for the runners. If anyone has 6 for sale before Sept. please respond. Also, what is the exact color of the green table cloths?

50. Audrey H. says:

I just loved the details of this shower. I host an annual girlfriends dinner party and this inspired me to do a “Little Black Dress Party” this year. It turned out wonderfully.

I found a similar damask print fabric at Joanne’s for the runner, as well as a green fabric for the table cloth (my aunt makes linen/chair covers, etc). She even made my dress out of a matching damask print. I covered lamp shades w/ damask print paper from Michaels. There are a few pics on HWTM FB page or at my FB page http://www.facebook.com/creative.confetti.

51. gina says:

I am not sure if anyone asked already, but that basket of notepads is to die for! i absolutely love stationery and i was wondering where they came from! thanks :)

52. jenn s. says:

Gina –
    The hostesses actually made those notepads themselves – just using scrapbook paper that matched the theme to cover the top part of the pads :)

53. NOW CASTING SEASON 11 OF “WHOSE WEDDING IS IT ANYWAY?”
    Are you or someone you know planning your wedding day, but the never-ending tasks keep getting in the way? Are you and your fiancé fun and fabulous, but drowning in details? Then let us hook you up with a top-notch wedding planner, to help organize the wedding of your dreams and take you down the aisle in style. And even better—WE WILL HELP PAY FOR THE WEDDING COSTS!
    The Style Network is looking for couples with or without a planner, who want to share their wedding-preparation adventures with the hit prime-time wedding series!
    We are especially interested in 2 types of wedding stories –
    Brides and grooms who have extremely DIFFERENT IDEAS of what their dream wedding should be OR Two couples who are interested in having a joint wedding.

If you are interested, please email Jenkins@trueentertainment.net

Best,
    Julia Jenkins
    Casting AP
    Whose Wedding Is It Anyway
    E: Jenkins@trueentertainment.net
    P: 212.763.3677

54. Rachel says:

any advise on how to word an invitation asking guests to dress in the theme colors? i’m throwing a black & white shower and would love for the guests to “match” the theme as they did in this shower but i would hate to sound rude or demanding lol. thanks :)

55. Liz Farron says: