31 May

Ask HWTM {Citrus Shower}

I’ve been getting a lot of email inquiries about bridal showers and where to find things lately, so I thought it might make sense to start posting a few of them on the blog once in a while in case other readers have similar questions and might be interested in the answers as well…so here’s the first one, which comes from Tia, and is regarding chinese paper lanterns and a citrus shower theme…

Ask HWTM {Citrus Shower}
{Reader Question}
“…I know there are a ton of chinese lanterns out there – I’m just wondering If there is a website you recommend for different types of chinese lanterns, I was looking for yellow. Also I’m throwing a baby shower and going for a citrus theme, lemons, limes and oranges, from looking through your site I have some great ideas. I was thinking hurricane vases with lemons, limes and oranges in them and going with yellow tulips for the flowers. Anything else you can think of would be great!…” – Tia

{HWTM Response}
Hi Tia -
Here are a couple places where you should be able to find the paper lanterns you need:

I actually threw a citrus-themed bridal shower for a friend last year – so I attached a few pictures from that shower here in case they help. Her favorite color is orange so it was an orange-citrus theme, but lemons and limes are great to work with as well and enable you to incorporate even more colors into the theme. Anyways, one of the accent vases was lined with orange slices – which might be what you’re thinking doing for the tulip vases too. (There’s a skinnier vase within the bigger outer vase, and the slices were dropped into the space between the 2 vase walls, which is what keeps them in place.) For the table centerpieces, I used simple bowls of oranges with little white flowers tucked around in different spots – and gave them some height by flipping smaller bowls upside down to create a “pedastal” for the big bowl.

Also – Izze soda packaging is so great and makes the best party décor just by itself :) They make clementine, grapefruit, and lemon flavors that are the perfect colors & flavors for a citrus shower.

Good luck with the party!

Ask HWTM {Citrus Shower}Ask HWTM {Citrus Shower}

Comments 23

jenn s.

POSTED BY

Founder & Creative Director see full profile

23Comments

jessica SAYS:

soooo pretty!! I LOVE orange too – would love to have a shower like this !

Reply May 31, 2007 at 10:33 am

Rosie & Andy SAYS:

Love the idea!!

I wanted to add that IZZE is sooo yummy!! I love it!!

Reply May 31, 2007 at 11:36 am

Anonymous SAYS:

beautiful!

Reply May 31, 2007 at 12:08 pm

franki durbin SAYS:

terrific execution. I’ve seen some incredible spreads, but you’ve got quite the knack for simple, elegant displays. gorgeous shower decor, darling!

i partiularly like the raised platter with oranges and blossoms. it softens the otherwise graphic structure of the fruit. your attention to detail is astonishing.

i hope to see you author a book on the elements of entertaining!

Reply June 1, 2007 at 7:12 am

hiphostess SAYS:

thanks so much everyone! And Frankie – I’d love that too! that’s the goal to shoot for! fingers crossed! :)

Reply June 1, 2007 at 9:42 am

Blue Orchid Designs SAYS:

Love that you are doing an “ask HWTM” feature. I bet it will become one of your most popular, aside from the surprise giveaways!

Reply June 1, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Something You! SAYS:

LOVE this! My sister is planning a citrus themed wedding so these ideas will be very useful to her. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

Reply June 1, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Biddy SAYS:

that doesn’t look like your average mimosa…what is it in the flute??

Reply June 1, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Jessica SAYS:

I am over the moon for the shower theme and all these ideas!

Reply June 2, 2007 at 7:10 pm

hiphostess SAYS:

Hi Biddy –

It actually is a Mimosa – just very light on the champagne in the one pictured here! we took the images before guests arrived and wanted to save the good stuff for when they got there ;)

Reply June 12, 2007 at 3:20 pm

Russ and Debbie SAYS:

What plant is in the pots?

Reply November 2, 2007 at 5:04 pm

hiphostess SAYS:

The orange are just mini faux orange stems purchased at Michaels for bout $2 each – and the green plant is actually a small houseplant we already owned :) It was purchased at IKEA for around $5 if I remember correctly, but I don’t know the what the exact name of it would be…and the fluffly white flowers are China Mums :)

Reply November 2, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Russ and Debbie SAYS:

Sorry I wasn’t more specific, I meant the yellow and orange pots that have ribbon wrapped around them. They actually are not pictures here, but on the website. I was wondering what was planted in those.

Reply November 3, 2007 at 11:01 am

Russ and Debbie SAYS:

It is in the background behind the mimosa.

Reply November 5, 2007 at 3:30 pm

hiphostess SAYS:

Russ and Debbie –
No worries – I understand what you’re asking about now :) Those are actually “Sweet Allysum Bedding Plants” and are very inexpensive! I just bought them in the nursery area of Home Depot. I can’t remember the exact price, but it wasn’t much – I think maybe $2-3 per “6 pack” (enough to fill 6 pots). Here’s an image that looks similar to how they looked packaged at the nursery. Hope that helps!

Reply November 5, 2007 at 4:27 pm